MatthewJamess

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020
Hi everyone! I've reciently been having some issues with my PC, and I would like to see what you think about it. my current build is this one:

CPU: Intel core I5 4460
Motherboard: ASUS H97M-E
RAM: Kingston DDR3 8Gb 1600 Mhz
SSD: 120Gb Kingston drive
HDD: 1Tb Western Digital Blue 7200Rpm
PSU: Sentey Sty65-por 650W

This computer has been running flawlessly for the past 5 years, but it was only used for simple light tasks, no gaming at all. However, I've reciently bought an EVGA 2060 KO graphics cards, because I wanted to start gaming on my PC.

Now comes the problems: after installing the phisical GPU on my PC, and installing all corresponding drivers and steam files, I started to play some SC:GO, but my computer shut down and restarted after a while. I retried to play the game once again, but the same thing happened. Unfortunately, I don't have specifics as to how long after I started playing it happened each time, but I'm sure it was at different times, meaning there was no consistency.

After that happened, I decided not to play games anymore, as I'm affraid this might kill one of my components, and started to research what could this possibly be. After a while, I believe there is a problem with my power supply, but it can produce 650watts, more than enough to power my system. However, I the label on the unit says it can only produce 16 amps on the 12v rail, which I believe to be a bit too low.

I would like to hear what you have to say about it. Do you think my PSU is the problem? Or could it be something else?

Solution
Yes. Your issue is that low quality PSU. 16 amp X 12 = 192 Watts on the 12v rail. That's is garbage :)

Please do not put your new 2060 and your system at risk anymore and buy a good 650 Watts PSU from a good brand and model and your issue will be no more ;p
Yes. Your issue is that low quality PSU. 16 amp X 12 = 192 Watts on the 12v rail. That's is garbage :)

Please do not put your new 2060 and your system at risk anymore and buy a good 650 Watts PSU from a good brand and model and your issue will be no more ;p

Solution

MatthewJamess

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for the quick response! Would a 600w unit from EVGA (BR series 80+bronze) be good enough? That is the best power supply abailable in my country, and it will still run me about 140 dollars. I could also get the same unit in the 700w if needed. I know this is not the best unit, but because of the pandemic and inflation there isn't really any other choice from a reputable brand.