[SOLVED] Pc keeps blue screening upon turning on

ChunkyCheese

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
So about 2 weeks ago I bought an i7 8700k and Z390 ASRock phantom gaming 6 Z390 motherboard everything was as working well until last night when I got a random blue screen. I reset my uefi to defaults and everything worked fine then this morning as soon as I sighned in my pc blue screened and I’m out of ideas on what to do. I’ve reseated my gpu, RAM, cleated my CMOS. I keep getting and error code on the blue screen that reads UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP but I don’t really know what that means but I’m being led to believe that I received a bad cpu but if someone could please help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Different reasons for the UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP stop code including and not limited to hardware issues.

I'd say not having problems and BSODs in the safe mode would indicate a software or driver issue rather than a hardware one. Good luck with the new board.

ChunkyCheese

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
What are full system specs? What RAM do you have? What is the OS? Windwos, which one?

What are the stop codes parameters?
I7-8700k, GTX 1080, 16 gigs of RAM g skill ripjaws @2800mhz, ASRock phantom gaming 6 Z390 mobo, 1 tb hdd, and windows 10. I am not getting any stop code parameters I simply get the error and there is nothing below the error code where the parameters would be.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I7-8700k, GTX 1080, 16 gigs of RAM g skill ripjaws @2800mhz, ASRock phantom gaming 6 Z390 mobo, 1 tb hdd, and windows 10. I am not getting any stop code parameters I simply get the error and there is nothing below the error code where the parameters would be.

I think if it was a really faulty/bad CPU the system shouldn't really POST and you wouldn't get to Windows loading and getting a BSOD.

Do you get the error code as soon as Windows loads? If it's not immediate you can set Windows to drop a minidump and copy the file and upload somewhere and leave link here and someone can look at it. You can see how to configure Windows 10 to drop a crash dump here. That is provided it doesn't BSOD as soon as Windows loads.

ChunkyCheese

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
I think if it was a really faulty/bad CPU the system shouldn't really POST and you wouldn't get to Windows loading and getting a BSOD.

Do you get the error code as soon as Windows loads? If it's not immediate you can set Windows to drop a minidump and copy the file and upload somewhere and leave link here and someone can look at it. You can see how to configure Windows 10 to drop a crash dump here. That is provided it doesn't BSOD as soon as Windows loads.
Within 90 seconds my the pc will blue screen. And I have already been in contact with Newegg and am getting an RMA on the cpu. I looked into the error code and it has to due with memory or cpu but my memory worked fine on a spereate build. I also believe it is the cpu because the code says the error could be generated by an overclock instability which my cpu was oc to 4.7 with 0 voltage changes so I believe I either revived a bad cpu or the oc wasn’t stable to begin with and it was a matter of time until something fatal occurred with my pc. UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP also has to due with when the cpu generates a fatal error that isn’t able to by The OS causing the blue screen

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Different reasons for the UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP stop code including and not limited to hardware issues.

I'd say not having problems and BSODs in the safe mode would indicate a software or driver issue rather than a hardware one. Good luck with the new board.

Solution

ChunkyCheese

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019

Thanks for your input. Since I never had a BSOD for the the 7 months I had my pc and then randomly got this one with the new board and cpu I just decided to RMA both cpu and MOBO I will also might clean install windows when I get my rig up and running once more when I was repackaging my items getting ready to send them back though I noticed a slight discoloration on the cpu socket on the mobo, using my phone flashlight and magnifying glass it looked as if a single cpu pin was bent and being pushed in a different direction than all the other pins, though a bent pin can be fixed I didn’t mess with it because I’m still relatively new to building PCs and I’d rather just get a brand new mobo and cpu and RMA the old ones so I know I don’t have to worry about it plus if I were to screw with the pin than Newegg could technically screw me and say the pin bent when it was shipped back even though I put the cpu pin guard back on, regardless thank you for the help!

TRENDING THREADS