[SOLVED] PC lags and monitor goes into black screen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunhawk7

Commendable
Jul 10, 2019
Hi,
so I have been dealing with this problem for quite some time. First, I would like to describe you what happens and than how it happens.

PC starts to lag (mouse movement lags, game freezes for a second several times...) and then both of my monitors turn off, audio cuts out, mouse and keyboard turn off, but PC keeps on working (fans spinning, gpu glowing...); the only way out is to manually restart my PC.

It fist started happening during warzone gameplay, I would have stable ~70fps and then suddenly it starts to lag and everything crashes. Surprisingly when I ran warzone again after restart it would happen until my next gaming session. Then it started happening during loadings in games. In Portal 2 it happens during the loading in between two levels, in World of Warships it happens just after the match finishes and just before final scores are displayed. In Battlefield V, and later in Warzone, it happens in every game at random times after about five minutes of gameplay.

Now it happens even in google chrome. Yesterday it happened while using chrome and every time after that PC would just boot into black screen (windows auto repair couldn't fix it) so I had to manually download windows again, I wiped everything and did a clean install, but it still happens.

What I noticed:

I've never had a crash while playing an offline game (games download from third party sites), even in Battlefield V which I mentioned crasher regularly. (but, I haven't yet tried to play campaign now that I have original copy).

Also, as I mentioned I did a clean windows installation and it seemed like it is working fine until I downloaded discord, chrome and amd drivers. Again, crash might have nothing to do with it, but I am just mentioning it.

Also, Battlefield V didn't crash when I had my second monitor turned off (more about monitor down below).
Stres tests: I have run multiple of those, even the ones that put all your hardware to 100% use. Normal temps, no crash.
What I tried:
  • Recently after warzone crash, I've finally got something in Event viewer where it said that warzone, discord, chrome, and maybe something else... ran out of virtual memory (I had 8gb 2133 at the time), so I decide to buy more ram, which seems to fix problem in Warzone, I've never had a crash since, but Battlefield V (multiplayer) still crashes (although not so often).
  • Stres tests.
  • Memtest
  • Virus scans
  • Registry repairs
My thoughts: if it's a bad gpu or psu, why doesn't it crash under heavy load such as benchmarks. Could it be my MBO?
My old monitor (samsung SyncMaster P2050): so I've already experienced similar problem (can't for sure tell if I had an audio cut off), so monitor would turn off and once it didn't turn back on, I've tried it on another pc and it didn't work. After I bought my new monitor (AOC 24G2U) I tried to change old vga to hdmi adapter and it started working fine again, until this started happening.
My PC specs:
  • Ryzen 7 2700
  • Rx 580 8gb Sapphire Nitro+
  • Asrock b450m-hdv r4.0
  • Gskill trident Z 16Gb 3600mhz
  • SeaSonic S12II - 520 bronze

Solution
Hi,
so I have been dealing with this problem for quite some time. First, I would like to describe you what happens and than how it happens.

PC starts to lag (mouse movement lags, game freezes for a second several times...) and then both of my monitors turn off, audio cuts out, mouse and keyboard turn off, but PC keeps on working (fans spinning, gpu glowing...); the only way out is to manually restart my PC.

It fist started happening during warzone gameplay, I would have stable ~70fps and then suddenly it starts to lag and everything crashes. Surprisingly when I ran warzone again after restart it would happen until my next gaming session. Then it started happening during loadings in games. In Portal 2 it happens during the loading...
Hi,

It fist started happening during warzone gameplay, I would have stable ~70fps and then suddenly it starts to lag and everything crashes. Surprisingly when I ran warzone again after restart it would happen until my next gaming session. Then it started happening during loadings in games. In Portal 2 it happens during the loading in between two levels, in World of Warships it happens just after the match finishes and just before final scores are displayed. In Battlefield V, and later in Warzone, it happens in every game at random times after about five minutes of gameplay.

Now it happens even in google chrome. Yesterday it happened while using chrome and every time after that PC would just boot into black screen (windows auto repair couldn't fix it) so I had to manually download windows again, I wiped everything and did a clean install, but it still happens.

What I noticed:

I've never had a crash while playing an offline game (games download from third party sites), even in Battlefield V which I mentioned crasher regularly. (but, I haven't yet tried to play campaign now that I have original copy).

Also, as I mentioned I did a clean windows installation and it seemed like it is working fine until I downloaded discord, chrome and amd drivers. Again, crash might have nothing to do with it, but I am just mentioning it.

Also, Battlefield V didn't crash when I had my second monitor turned off (more about monitor down below).
Stres tests: I have run multiple of those, even the ones that put all your hardware to 100% use. Normal temps, no crash.
What I tried:
  • Recently after warzone crash, I've finally got something in Event viewer where it said that warzone, discord, chrome, and maybe something else... ran out of virtual memory (I had 8gb 2133 at the time), so I decide to buy more ram, which seems to fix problem in Warzone, I've never had a crash since, but Battlefield V (multiplayer) still crashes (although not so often).
  • Stres tests.
  • Memtest
  • Virus scans
  • Registry repairs
My thoughts: if it's a bad gpu or psu, why doesn't it crash under heavy load such as benchmarks. Could it be my MBO?
My old monitor (samsung SyncMaster P2050): so I've already experienced similar problem (can't for sure tell if I had an audio cut off), so monitor would turn off and once it didn't turn back on, I've tried it on another pc and it didn't work. After I bought my new monitor (AOC 24G2U) I tried to change old vga to hdmi adapter and it started working fine again, until this started happening.
My PC specs:
  • Ryzen 7 2700
  • Rx 580 8gb Sapphire Nitro+
  • Asrock b450m-hdv r4.0
  • Gskill trident Z 16Gb 3600mhz
  • SeaSonic S12II - 520 bronze
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.