Question PC Malfunctioning after RAM and PSU change

Mar 7, 2023
Hi, this is my first post on any hardware related forum, which may indicate my helplessness with a problem that I've encountered a few days ago. So lately I've been thinking of upgrading my GPU since I've recently bought a nice 2k monitor and my good old 1070 just isn't enough anymore. To prepare for it, I've decided to buy new PSU (Seasonic CORE GC-650 Gold 650W) in place of my old 500W Antec. On top of that I've decided to change my RAM (16GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz) for Kingston FURY Renegade 32GB [2x16GB 3600MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM], since I've decided I don't need RAM as fast as that and instead I could use the extra 16GB for some 2k gaming. And here start my problems. The parts came, all looked packed as they should, but I put all the parts in (obviously with all power disconnected), I try to boot the PC, but no display is shown and it start beeping. My motherboard EZ Debug lights at first were lighting the VGA led (constantly lit, no changes after a few minutes of waiting). The GPU lights were on, the CPU cooler was running, RGB on the motherboard was also on so they seemed to be connected properly to the PSU, but I've tried to unplug all cables, detach RAM and put it in again but nothing worked and I still was getting the same result. So I tried putting my old RAM in with the new PSU and it still didn't change anything. So then I tried with just one RAM stick and it beeped as usual, but this time it actually booted (also with three beeps), but didn't display MOBO logo thus making me unable to access BIOS and it booted to my Ubuntu system. The disk with Windows on it, seems to be working, because when I access it from Ubuntu all the files are as they were, so I most likely plugged it in properly with new PSU. If I try to press DEL while booting to BIOS (it's the button I've always used to get to BIOS), it just doesn't boot and there's black screen on my monitors. I've also tried rebooting directly to BIOS with a shell command from Ubuntu but with the same result. So then I've switched back to my old PSU and the problem still persists, which in my opinion indicates some problem with other hardware (maybe MOBO or CPU). Other things I've tried are: clearing RAM slots as well as sticks themselves, putting GPU in a different slot, removing my CPU cooler and CPU itself, cleaning any dust it may have had and putting it back in, also taking out the CMOS battery for a few minutes, touching JBAT pins with a screwdriver for a few secs and plugging out and in all the components multiple times. Right now for about 3 days Ubuntu seems to be working stable as it was before changing the parts, but i have no access to Windows and the PC still beeps 3 times every time I run it (If it's of any help, it's one longer beep and 2 shorter beeps, the PC Startup beep is turned off) all of the thing were done with power cable unplugged from the PC. On top of it, the monitors turns off while booting, and then after I log in to Ubuntu, they also turn off for a few seconds if that may help with resolving the problem (as it didn't happen before). I'll be glad for any tips and attempts to help me find a solution as I'm pretty helpless after a few days of struggling and reading/watching solutions that didn't help me. Thanks in advance and have a good day Y'all!

My PC specs:
GPU: GTX 1070 EVGA SC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB -> Kingston FURY Renegade 32GB [2x16GB 3600MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM]
PSU: Antec VP-PC 500W -> Seasonic CORE GC-650 Gold 650W
Drives: M.2 NVMe 1TB, 500 GB Sata SSD (Windows is on it), 128 GB Sata SSD (Ubuntu is on it), 500 GB Sata HDD
Monitors: LG 27GN800-B, Iiyama Black Hawk 24" 75Hz

If any more info is required please be sure to tell me, thank You.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In order to clear your CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power and replace the battery after 30 mins.

Using one stick of ram, in slot A2, then try and see if you can get POST without an issue.

Drives: M.2 NVMe 1TB, 500 GB Sata SSD (Windows is on it), 128 GB Sata SSD (Ubuntu is on it), 500 GB Sata HDD
Make and models of your storage drives?

Your motherboard has a Flash BIOS button, please refer to page 33 in your motherboard manual;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB550TOMAHAWK.pdf
to understand how to reflash your BIOS using an USB pen drive.

Mar 7, 2023

In order to clear your CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power and replace the battery after 30 mins.

Using one stick of ram, in slot A2, then try and see if you can get POST without an issue.

Your motherboard has a Flash BIOS button, please refer to page 33 in your motherboard manual;

Thank You very much for Your reply, I will try all of the above tommorrow noon and post an update with the results.

Mar 7, 2023

Hi, so I've just tried out both of Your recommendations, but unfortunately it didn't resolve my problem. The first one, I did as You described, but while trying to boot I was stuck on BOOT red light on MOBO and it didn't get past that. I used one stick of ram in A2 slot, waited 30 mins and pressed power button for about 30 secs after taking the battery out. As for the second, I flashed my BIOS, and after that I tried to boot with one RAM stick but with the same effect as 1 day ago, so no MOBO logo, booting straight to Ubuntu with 3 beeps while powering on. Then I've tried again with both RAM sticks at A2 and B2 slots and the first time it beeped as usual and then got stuck on BOOT red led, but after trying again i booted the same as with one RAM stick.
As for the disks all of them are as follows:
  • 128GB SSD (with Ubuntu): SSD Plextor 128 GB 2.5" SATA III (PX-128M5S)
  • 500GB SSD (with Windows): Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD
  • 500GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB 32 MB Cache WD5001AALS
  • 1TB NVMe M.2: KIOXIA Exceria G2 1TB SSD

Do You have any other ideas to try to solve my problem? Huge thanks in advance.

Mar 7, 2023
Firstly I cleared CMOS, then after unplugging all drives with OS's on them, GPU power and removing RAM sticks I flashed BIOS. Should I repeat the steps in different order?