Question PC not detecting my 2 monitors due to weird stuff happening

alex3010

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
Hello everyone, I don't know if this is the right category for this kind of question but I'll try.
So, this is my problem: sometimes, when I turn on my PC, it looks like my PC doesn't detect the monitors.

The first this happened, was in a period in which I used to unplug one monitor and plug the TV instead. It would happen randomly, and the only way to fix it was by restarting the PC via the case.

It happened again recently, but in different circumstances. This time, I'd plug and unplug different keyboards or just unplug the mouse (so I could use it on another PC).
It happened again today, and the PC started detecting the two monitor again after I mistakenly unplugged my keyboard. After that, I got this screen that lasted for ~30 minutes, after that I decided to restart my PC and everything worked perfectly again.

What could be causing this problem? I honestly have no clue

Edit: Specs for my pc are:
EVGA 600B
ASrock Z170 Pro4S
Nvidia GeForce GTX 690
Intel Core i5-6600k
Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR4 2x8GB
Noctua NH-U9S
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
WDC 1TB HDD

Last edited:
What is the make/model of your graphics card, monitors and psu.
Newer hardware tries to put components into the lowest power state possible.
Older parts may not be able to detect such low power states.
Powering the device off/on may get it detected.

alex3010

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
What is the make/model of your graphics card, monitors and psu.
Newer hardware tries to put components into the lowest power state possible.
Older parts may not be able to detect such low power states.
Powering the device off/on may get it detected.
GPU is an Nvidia GeForce 960, Monitors are Samsung and LG. Sadly it seemed like it was really RNG whether the PC detected the monitors or not, I could restart and plug/unplug 10 times and it wouldn't work. But for some reasons unplugging the keyboard makes the trick

Your system lockups and having to shut down the system not through Windows can cause issues to components.

I would get another mouse and keyboard so you don't have to keep unplugging them if that causes issues for you.

You may want to list full system specs including power supply brand and model. Your PSU or drive may be failing since you had issues booting to Windows. A clean Windows setup may be a good idea.