[SOLVED] PC Not Starting - Fans Still Spinning (Power Outage Yesterday)

Negativenine

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Yesterday there was a power outage in my dorm. Restarted my PC (its plugged into a surge protector) and everything seemed to be working as normal. Shut it down when I went to bed. This morning I turned my PC back on and the case fans started spinning, and the graphics card fans started spinning then stopped. My monitor can't detect a signal from the card. The motherboard bios flashback light is still on but the the small case light no longer illuminates. When I try to turn off the PC using the case button nothing happens (I can still turn it on using the button though). I've tried taking out the GPU, and plugging the PC into other outlets but no change. I'm pretty sure the outage somehow caused damage because we have a string of lights in our room that also lost a couple bulbs.

At this point i'm just trying to figure out what parts i'm going to have to replace. Unfortunately I have no spare parts on me because i'm at college so i'm just looking for educated guesses. This is the remains of my first PC build so i'm still not completely sure what i'm doing yet. Would appreciate some help.

Thank you so much in advance.

- - -

My questions:

1. Is the motherboard beyond use?

2. Can the PSU still be good if the MB is indeed dying? Or is that not possible in the case of surges?

3. Is it likely that my Graphics Card is simply not receiving power? Or is it dead as well?

- - -

Relevant Specs:

MB: asus m5a97 R 2.0
GPU: GTX 960
PSU: Corsair HX650

Thanks again!

Solution
I would personally look into replacing the PSU myself. I had something similar happen with my old computer a few years ago. Had a surge protector and everything. We had a bad thunderstorm, and even with the surge protector, a lightning surge still got through to the PC. Afterwards, it would still power on and the fans would spin, but screen stayed black and it wouldn't even post. We replaced the PSU and she started right up. If that doesn't solve it you could look at the motherboard as the next step, since that's the next step for power delivery. Sad to hear that happened to ya, and i hope you get it sorted out!
Mar 19, 2019
I would personally look into replacing the PSU myself. I had something similar happen with my old computer a few years ago. Had a surge protector and everything. We had a bad thunderstorm, and even with the surge protector, a lightning surge still got through to the PC. Afterwards, it would still power on and the fans would spin, but screen stayed black and it wouldn't even post. We replaced the PSU and she started right up. If that doesn't solve it you could look at the motherboard as the next step, since that's the next step for power delivery. Sad to hear that happened to ya, and i hope you get it sorted out!

Solution

Negativenine

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. I will start looking at some replacement PSUs.