Question PC only crashes in games, but not during a stress test or when overclocked.

Jan 8, 2021
Hi, whenever I open up a game it'll play just fine for about 2minutes then crashes and gives me a blank coloured screen. In order to turn off the pc I have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds. I've tested this on many games and it crashes on all games except for games you can easily run on a toaster. Ever since this started happening I decided to use MSI afterburner to increase my fan speeds. Doing this allowed me to play all my games with minor issues such as a small decrease in frame rates. The pc will crash while gaming if the fan speed is not over 50%. I also noticed an increase in temperatures on the graphics card from 40c to 75-80c after opening a game, so I re-applied the thermal paste which did not solve the issue. Any help is much appreciated.

Things I've tried
flashing bios
Updating all drivers including graphics card
defragging drives
update windows
running rem test
windows memory diagnostic
clearing cmos
Getting rid of dust
better cable management
Making sure the fans aren't loose
Stress test(does not crash)

Specs
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (4095MB) x1
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU 3.50GHz (3503MHz) x4
MOBO: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x4GB)
PSU: Corsair CV650 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I personally think that the CV unit isn't a good unit to have in builds. You might want to check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment. How are you cooling the K suffix processor? Which OS version are you on? Might want to also inspect the motherboards surface for any swollen capacitors or burn marks across SMD's.

Include the name of the games you're playing and where you sourced them from. What sort of an overclock are you on? I asked since you've posted the thread in the overclocking section.

Reactions: Windows22
Jan 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I personally think that the CV unit isn't a good unit to have in builds. You might want to check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment. How are you cooling the K suffix processor? Which OS version are you on? Might want to also inspect the motherboards surface for any swollen capacitors or burn marks across SMD's.

Include the name of the games you're playing and where you sourced them from. What sort of an overclock are you on? I asked since you've posted the thread in the overclocking section.
Im on windows 10 64-bit and im cooling the processor using a cooler master hyper T4. The game that the crashing first happened on was Escape from Tarkov, played other games such as devil may cry 5, sekiro shadows die twice, The witcher wild hunt, and killing floor 2, I've been able to play these games just fine up until now and i've had this pc for about 5 years only replacing the psu 6 months ago due to a dead power supply. There are no swollen or and signs or burns on the motherboard or any of the components. I'm also using the latest bios version given by gigabtye. The overclock settings in the bios are set to default.

Reactions: Windows22

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
If you're running your 8 + 6 GPU on the same cable, I'd recommend using separate cables from the PSU.

Over drawing from the PCIe slot can be quite difficult to diagnose.
I would imagine your FPS are in question, but if it is just the game that causes this, then most likely the software and specific components within the graphics could also be a factor.

Jan 8, 2021
I would imagine your FPS are in question, but if it is just the game that causes this, then most likely the software and specific components within the graphics could also be a factor.
Yeh its only a game thing, I've stress tested many times using different software and not once has it crashed. My fps is pretty good, staying above 60 fps.