Question PC Restarting when starting/running certain games.

GINGANINJA323

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Hi Guys,

My PC has started rebooting at certain points with certain games, and I can't find a specific rhyme or reason for it.

Playing games like Dead Space and Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades I have no issues. But starting Blade and Sorcery results in black screen -> reboot as soon as I load in. The same happens when running Fallout 4 (Modded) for more than an hour or so.

I've checked temps whilst playing these games as best I could with HWMonitor. The CPU idles at 30 - 35C and the GPU idles anywhere between 30 - 50C due to passive cooling under no load. From the min and max values, the CPU/GPU don't break over 70 when under load. Though, I will check again.

I theorised the temps to be the first issue and PSU to be second. As the temps seem ok, the PSU was next. The voltages look low across all rails, though i'm unsure as to whether this is the culprit. Additionally, the seemingly consistent crashes in certain games and not others could be indicating a PSU issue.

I've also checked Windows Event Viewer, all of the logs are Event 41s, with no bug numbers.

Anyone know which is the real culprit? I'm gonna continue to check temps again hopefully without my machine crashing, but this seems too consistent across specific games to be heat related. Don't want to commit to buying and replacing parts when it's not necessary.

My system specs are below:

CPU: i5-6600K @ 4.10GHz (OC was set automatically in MSI BIOS, has been running fine for > 2 years).
GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor 8Gb.
PSU: Corsair CX 750.
Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming M5.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX.

Thanks,
GN323.

EDIT: Used OpenHardwareMonitor to monitor temperatures, and as suspected, they don't break over the trip before the machine shuts down, in fact, they barely get over 50. Same for the GPU. Going to reinstall software first but then get a new PSU if the problem persists.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019
It might actually be your PSU since you have 750W. Im not quite sure tho, since 750W sounds okay. May I ask, have you overclocked your CPU? And also, did you just get the PC or doyou own it for a while ?

GINGANINJA323

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
It might actually be your PSU since you have 750W. Im not quite sure tho, since 750W sounds okay. May I ask, have you overclocked your CPU? And also, did you just get the PC or doyou own it for a while ?

I've had the PC in it's current config for years now, with no issues like this. The CPU is overclocked, though this was a preset found in the BIOS for my mobo, so I did no actual voltage/clockspeed tweaking manually.