[SOLVED] PC shuts down Overclocking has failed?

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hi just hoping somone has seen this before. My pc likes to shut down randonly claiming overclocking has failed when no overclocking is applied. It does this very regularly but now wont turn on at all? I am only getting no video signal on my monitor after leaving it for ages and rebooting just the same thing. I can get it to boot if I completely remove the cpu cooler kraken x42 and then reinstall it boots saying a new cpu has been detected or something.

I have tried resetting the bios, windows battery. The gpu and ram work fine.

Mobo-Asus P9X79 LE
Cpu- i7 4820k
Gpu- gtx1080 ftw
Ram - corsair vengeance lp 1600mhz but the bios and windows states 1333mhz on auto and i cant change it
Psu- corsair rm750
Ssd- 850 evo 500gb

Last edited:
Solution
Either way, random shut downs (assuming you're not getting a BSOD) are usually power related issues. So i'd suspect the PSU first.
Try another PSU if you can.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I believe some Asus motherboards have an inbuilt safety mechanism which will go to an overclocking failed error when the system is hard reset or power is lost suddenly. It's usually a failsafe put in for people who do actually overclock.

When you say it shuts down randomly - is it random, or is it in certain situations?
Have you ensured that the CPU is properly seated, and the cooling unit is porperly secured with the right amount of thermal paste on top of it?
Have you checked temperatures at all?
Have you reset your BIOS?

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Yes the thermal paste is good I have updated the bios the temps are also good. The shutdown can happen when ever i feel the mobo cpu or psu is suspect.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Frankly it could be anything. Has it started recently / suddenly or progressed over time?

But you can start off easily - first just start in Safe Mode and see if the issue persists. If it persists in safe mode, it's probably hardware. In which case we can go through hardware troubleshooting.

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Its happened since I have had it maybe 3 to 4 years, and happens alot more frequently now. I can confirm it happens in safe mode but the thing is it might not crash now untill tomorrow its really weird. How can I go about hardware testing mate?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you're happy you've confirmed software. First I would reset your BIOS / CMOS. I know you updated it, but reset it.

The quickest way to test hardware is to remove it and check.
First thing I would probably do is remove the RAM sticks bar 1 and see if the problem persists.

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Sorry I have had the cmos battery out before and tried all variants of the quad channel ram i aslo have a different brand just a single 8gb stick where the problem still persists

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
And you're certain that you've seated the CPU appropriately and connected the Cooler up properly? Simply removing and reinstalling the CPU cooler shouldn't allow it to boot unless the cooler was wired up or secured incorrectly anyway.

Are you also able to try a different PSU? Random reboots can also be a sign of PSU problems.

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Yes sorry I meant when I take the cooler off and take out the cpu and then put it all back together it will boot saying a new cpu has been detected. And then i can either go in to the bios or boot into windows if I dont get a blue screen.

Also I should mention when I have said it shuts down, the pc remains running but the screen goes completely black and displays no signal, I have tried 2 different gpu's and had them running for a week to see if it would go off and it did both cards. Wont have a chance to test a different psu🤔

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
So watching a youtube video and its just done it screen gone black and not responsive but the pc is running, also tried different cables hdmi and dvi the motherboard has no red lights on whilst this is happening either

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Power button has reboot it this time, overclocking failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system. Press f1 to Run SETUP. I go in set it back to default and then reboot again to windows if it doesnt freeze on pc repair? Or just go black again

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Cover this guide first. Every step - no skipping. Including the subtext at the bottom. And take your time with it - don't rush through it.
I appreciate you may have already covered some of this, but please go through it all thoroughly as it really does cover the majority of these kinds of problems.

hooson

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Jnyxed it just crashed now, on a reboot i got the overclocking failed screen along with cpu fan error! To see the nzxt animation had stopped and just displayed a really weak logo barely light up on the cooler but the fan was on not sure about the pump. It was idleing at 55°c in the bios when its usually 30-40 and is now sat running on the windows desktop at 32-35 degrees celsius 🤔 i have a few things to do before i start pulling my pc to bits again for the millionth time but crap thats not good.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
And you're sure the cooler is wired up correctly? The Pump tach to the CPU_FAN header?
Have you upgraded any components recently?
Also just to confirm, you have UPDATED your BIOS to the latest version, not just reset it right? Updating it to latest version on the site would be first choice.
And to confirm, it DOES occur in safe mode?

TRENDING THREADS