Mar 12, 2021
Hi everyone.

So, about a week ago my girlfriend bought a prebuilt pc. During the first couple of days she didn't have any problems at all. But now, a week later, she is experiencing sudden shut downs when playing CS:GO.

I have myself tried different solutions, but haven't succeded in anyone, so now im asking for your help.

When we go into speccy and HWMonitor it says that the Mobo is 111 degrees celsius (230 fahrenheit) at a consistent level, which i suspect to be a sensor failure and not the actual problem.

So, what happens is, that the pc just randomly shuts down in the middle of a game, and sometimes multiple times. When she is gaming the noise level is increasing much, but we don't see any significent rise in temperature on cpu and gpu.

What we have done so far is:
Updated all the drivers
Done some changes in the power options

I might suspect the problem to be a overclock in the CPU, she bought it at 3,9 ghz, but it is normally at 3,5 ghz. I don't know if this can be the problem, and how to remove/disable the overclock.

Her specs are the following:
Raidmax Thunder V2 Power Supply Unit | Model: RX-835AP, 835 Watts Max
16gb DDR3 799MHz RAM
ASUSTeK z97-k (socket 1150)
4gb ATI Radeon RX 480
120gb ssd
500gb hdd

We would very much appreciate any help/advice, because this problem is driving us crazy and we can't play games together.
Thank you:)

Last edited:
Solution
Could try resetting bios settings to default (clearing cmos). This would rule out overclock. Perhaps save your oc settings to a profile so you can re-enter them later if they aren't the issue.

Windows memory diagnostic could test for stable ram. Aida64 also can test for ram and CPU stability.
Could try resetting bios settings to default (clearing cmos). This would rule out overclock. Perhaps save your oc settings to a profile so you can re-enter them later if they aren't the issue.

Windows memory diagnostic could test for stable ram. Aida64 also can test for ram and CPU stability.

Solution
Mar 12, 2021

Thank you so much, will try that later, hopefully it works out:)

What might have changed since all was well a week ago?
One possibility is that windows has pushed out a less than optimum driver set.
If you can use system restore to reset back, you may fix the problem.

But an issue with a particular game smacks of the need for a game patch.
If the problem is with multiple games, then look elsewhere.

Under gaming loads, the gpu needs to work harder, and that also increases the demand for power.
See if you can't replace the psu with a known good quality psu.
You should be ok with a good quality 550w unit or better.

Mar 12, 2021
What might have changed since all was well a week ago?
One possibility is that windows has pushed out a less than optimum driver set.
If you can use system restore to reset back, you may fix the problem.

But an issue with a particular game smacks of the need for a game patch.
If the problem is with multiple games, then look elsewhere.

Under gaming loads, the gpu needs to work harder, and that also increases the demand for power.
See if you can't replace the psu with a known good quality psu.
You should be ok with a good quality 550w unit or better.
Thank you, we will try that too:) does it matter if its a 80 plus bronze or gold?

Thank you, we will try that too:) does it matter if its a 80 plus bronze or gold?
Gold/bronze efficiency means nothing. A few cents electricity cost per day perhaps.
Quality means all.
Consider a quality psu as a good long term investment. They do not go obsolete easily.
While 550w may do it, 650/750w will allow a strong graphics card upgrade for the future.
Look for a unit with a 7 or 10 year warranty.
For example, the seasonic focus 550w with a 10 year warranty like this is $ 96:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189
Better yet, the 650 and 750w units are only $120 and $130 respectively.
While 550w is all you need,
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.