[SOLVED] PC Shuts Off Under Load but LEDs and Fans keep running

May 15, 2020
My PC has some problems that date back to almost a year and a half ago. It randomly shuts off my monitor, keyboard, mouse, and everything else except for the LED lights in the case and the fans. It’s usually during when I play GTA V or do something like rendering a video in a video editing program. Recently, it’s been happening more often, the monitor and keyboards etc. cut out more frequently under less load. Regardless of how many times I replace PC parts or go to the tech shop to fix it, the problem always comes back. I’ve done the following : replaced PSU twice, factory reset twice, added 2 case fans, and replaced RAM. What ended up working was putting a small handheld fan right under the GPU and it ended up fixing the problem for a little while (of course the problem came back)

This PC was sold to me by a friend who had it for a year or two, hasn’t replaced the paste since and didn’t dust it off when he sold it to me (it was SUPER dusty) That might be the problem. Another might be that the motherboard was mounted incorrectly, I was told by the tech guy from the computer shop that the motherboard was touching some part of the case and it caused it to short.

I’m thinking this is a overheating problem since the temporary fix was an extra fan, please let me know any possible fixes, I don’t wanna go to the tech shop for the 3rd time to waste money and eventually come back again. Thank you in advance!

Part list:
B350-M Tomahawk
16GB DDR4 3000MHz
GeForce 1060 EVGA
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
800w offbrand PSU (used to be EVGA 500w)
2TB HDD
3x Phanteks Case fans
Cooler Master CPU Cooler

Last edited:
Solution
That’s exactly what I did, I stress tested it and within seconds the PC turned off like usual. I was also thinking that the motherboard was the problem and I wanted to upgrade both the motherboard and the cpu because the motherboard couldn’t handle a better cpu like the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or something like that. By the way, all temperatures were completely fine, all parts ranged from 35-50 degrees Celsius and nothing interesting. What can I do that doesn’t require buying a new PC part?

i would say electrical issue with the mobo then, if youve replaced the PSU. then it it unlikely to be two bad PSU's in a row.

i would safely* remove the motherboard stick it on a cardboard box and breadboard it running the same stress test, if it...
May 15, 2020
That’s exactly what I did, I stress tested it and within seconds the PC turned off like usual. I was also thinking that the motherboard was the problem and I wanted to upgrade both the motherboard and the cpu because the motherboard couldn’t handle a better cpu like the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or something like that. By the way, all temperatures were completely fine, all parts ranged from 35-50 degrees Celsius and nothing interesting. What can I do that doesn’t require buying a new PC part?

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016

i would say electrical issue with the mobo then, if youve replaced the PSU. then it it unlikely to be two bad PSU's in a row.

i would safely* remove the motherboard stick it on a cardboard box and breadboard it running the same stress test, if it still fails, then its looking like replace, if its fine, then it might be a case shortcircuit issue

*this is at your own risk btw , if you dont know what youre doing,i reecommend getting someone who does know to do the procedure.

Reactions: jamest14
Solution