Question PC turning completely off while gaming.

Apr 16, 2024
This started happening about a year ago but it was only when I would play Baldur's Gate 3, only that game, I could play other games on max settings and would have no issues with shutdowns or anything. For context, my PC was prebuilt by HP but a family friend upgraded it after I started having issues with BG3. The upgraded parts didn't even help the issue and as of now, my PC has completely shut down from two other games, games that I've never had issues with even on old crappy laptops. The PC fans will get super loud and spin fast and then it will just shut down and I'll have to turn it back on manually. I know nothing about PCs so forgive me if I don't understand something or get something wrong but here are my specs!

CPU: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 CPU Air Cooler

ASUS Prime B550M-A WiFi II AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) Micro ATX Motherboard

PSU: CORSAIR CX-M CX750M 750 W ATX 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics - 3.90 GHz

RAM: 24.0 GB (23.8 GB usable)

Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT

Any help would be appreciated!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
24GB of RAM would be suggestive of having mismatched sticks installed. I would personally start there. Other things to consider would be temperatures.

Have you checked Event Viewer and Reliability History to see if any helpful ID are being logged?

SFC/DISM?

Lowered settings and/or turning off XMP?

Apr 16, 2024
24GB of RAM would be suggestive of having mismatched sticks installed. I would personally start there. Other things to consider would be temperatures.

Have you checked Event Viewer and Reliability History to see if any helpful ID are being logged?

SFC/DISM?

Lowered settings and/or turning off XMP?
I bought two more RAM sticks because I thought BG3 was crashing due to the lack of RAM I had at the time, I had no clue that they needed to be the same brand. Whenever I could play BG3 on my computer It would always be at a steady temperature until a shutdown was about to happen, I don't think the temp was that high but I'd honestly have to check again.

As for Event Viewer and Reliability History, I just see a bunch of Errors and critical warnings but I'm not entirely sure what they mean, I did find on a day that a shutdown happened that my fan control app stopped working?

I also just ran SFC/DISM for the first time (Just learned what it is) and I did have some corrupt files and got them cleared.

Don't know if this is what you meant but In the games I've had shutdowns on, I've lowered the setting but it still doesn't work. Turning off XMP feels way beyond my PC knowledge and I'm afraid that I'd mess my PC up even more.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
This started happening about a year ago but it was only when I would play Baldur's Gate 3, only that game, I could play other games on max settings and would have no issues with shutdowns or anything. For context, my PC was prebuilt by HP but a family friend upgraded it after I started having issues with BG3. The upgraded parts didn't even help the issue and as of now, my PC has completely shut down from two other games, games that I've never had issues with even on old crappy laptops. The PC fans will get super loud and spin fast and then it will just shut down and I'll have to turn it back on manually. I know nothing about PCs so forgive me if I don't understand something or get something wrong but here are my specs!

CPU: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 CPU Air Cooler

ASUS Prime B550M-A WiFi II AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) Micro ATX Motherboard

PSU: CORSAIR CX-M CX750M 750 W ATX 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics - 3.90 GHz

RAM: 24.0 GB (23.8 GB usable)

Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT

Any help would be appreciated!
The fact that the fans speed up would indicate temperature problem. If the temperature is ok, then possibly the sensor for temperature is flaky.