drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
I've been having this problem for the past few days. I have my PC set to sleep after a specific hour every day at night. When I noticed this problem happening, my PC kept freezing and lagging even for minor things like opening a file or closing a program.
It could take from 10-30 seconds frozen until it went back to normal, but then after I tried to do anything else it froze again or lagged.
After the next couple of days of having these issues, my PC didn't want to display anything. The monitor said, "no signal". I could hear a beep every 10 seconds or so. The motherboard light was on, but not the keyboards and mouse.
So, I thought it was probably the GPU. I have an RTX 2060 Super, which is almost two years old. I took the GPU off and let the PC start with the integrated GPU.
I went into the BIOS and click on the bootable SSD with the OS and it worked.
Now, the problem is that after replacing the GPU with an older one I have, GTX 970, today when I tried to wake the PC everything was frozen. I had to turn it off. Then it didn't want to turn on, but the keyboard, mouse, and monitor lights were on. The monitor didn't show any "no signal" error.
So, I removed the GPU and let it start with the integrated one. It did take me straight to the login screen. So, I turn it off so I can connect the GPU back and restart it using the bootable SSD. Then I worked.

So, I had to turn it off and start the PC with the integrated GPU in order to use my GPU and display Windows on the monitor. It kept freezing even after replacing the GPU.
I also tried to test the integrated GPU for a few minutes to see if there was any lag or freezing. Nothing bad happens. I even open a game (even though the GPU is not powerful), I could still be able to browse the settings without it freezing.
I also removed one RAM at a time to see if it was the problem before I tried the GPU method and it didn't change anything.

GPU: RTX 2060 Super
CPU: i7 4770
Mobo: Asus Z87
RAM: 16GB

What do you guys think it is? I would appreciate it if you can help me with this.

UPDATE:
I also started to notice that after this issue began the past few days, the PC keeps switching between audio output. I have my own speakers, but today it switched to the monitor's one and the same goes for yesterday after restarting it. That have never happened before. The default audio output always stays like that. These past few days it keeps switching it.

Last edited:
What make and model PSU?
Have you checked temps or voltages?
You can run HWInfo and see if you can get a screenshot of the sensors when the problem is happening.
It could be your PSU...as your PC freezes with either GPU correct? ...but runs fine on integrated.

drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
What make and model PSU?
Have you checked temps or voltages?
You can run HWInfo and see if you can get a screenshot of the sensors when the problem is happening.
It could be your PSU...as your PC freezes with either GPU correct? ...but runs fine on integrated.

CORSAIR CX-M Series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS
If the problem occurs, I might not be able to run that program because it usually freezes and doesn't let me do anything for a few minutes. Then if everything starts working after I try to click somewhere it begins to freezes. Although, since this morning I haven't had the problem yet.
These are the screenshots I took of HWInfo now:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

Yes, I thought it was the newer GPU, but I noticed today that after replacing it with my older GPU, the PC was frozen and I had to turn it on using the integrated card in order to access Windows.

Last edited:

drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
I don't think it's the PSU and the temps look good.

I would power down and reseat everything except the CPU (at least for now because it can be a lot of work) ....things like power plugs...data plugs...cards etc...and then power up.
There wasn't any issue now today. I hope it was just the other GPU and yesterday it was just a random issue that happened only once.