Question Persistent Microstuttering in Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16IRX8 - Urgent Assistance Needed

Jul 3, 2024
Hey everyone,

I am experiencing persistent microstuttering in all games on my newly purchased I am experiencing persistent microstuttering in all games on my newly purchased Legion Pro 5 16IRX8 - Type 82WK laptop with an RTX 4070 and Intel i9 processor. Despite trying numerous troubleshooting steps, the issue remains unresolved. Here are the actions I've taken so far:

• Updated all drivers, including Lenovo Legion drivers.
  • Updated Windows to the latest version.
  • Enabled and disabled G-Sync.
  • Enabled and disabled V-Sync.
  • Lowered the resolution.
  • Switched from high performance to balanced mode in Lenovo Vantage.
  • Limited FPS to match my 240Hz monitor.
  • Updated the BIOS.
  • Downloaded all drivers from the Lenovo website.
The laptop is only two weeks old, and I still have 11 months of warranty left. I bought it from one of the biggest retailers in my country. Despite all efforts, I cannot play any game, including Counter-Strike 2 and Cyberpunk 2077, without experiencing microstuttering every couple of seconds, making gameplay extremely frustrating.

I have read various threads on Reddit and other forums, but none of the suggested solutions have worked. This issue is not normal, and I am beginning to wonder if it's a problem with my specific unit or a common issue with this model.

Please provide guidance on what steps I should take next. Is there a known fix for this issue, or should I consider returning the laptop? I am hoping you can help me resolve this problem as you are my last resort.

Thank you for your assistance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to stick to one thread unless you'd live to give the community and yourself spaghetti brains.
Updated Windows to the latest version

Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Updated the BIOS.
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on?

Updated all drivers, including Lenovo Legion drivers.
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) from your platform in Safe Mode to later manually install with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?

I bought it from one of the biggest retailers in my country.
Where would this country be on the atlas?

Despite all efforts, I cannot play any game, including Counter-Strike 2 and Cyberpunk 2077, without experiencing microstuttering every couple of seconds, making gameplay extremely frustrating.
Might want to include a video(with audio) of the issue you speak of.

What sort of temps do you see when you game? What sort of settings(and resolution) are you on for your titles?

Jul 3, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to stick to one thread unless you'd live to give the community and yourself spaghetti brains.
Updated Windows to the latest version

Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Updated the BIOS.
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on?

Updated all drivers, including Lenovo Legion drivers.
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) from your platform in Safe Mode to later manually install with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?

I bought it from one of the biggest retailers in my country.
Where would this country be on the atlas?

Despite all efforts, I cannot play any game, including Counter-Strike 2 and Cyberpunk 2077, without experiencing microstuttering every couple of seconds, making gameplay extremely frustrating.
Might want to include a video(with audio) of the issue you speak of.

What sort of temps do you see when you game? What sort of settings(and resolution) are you on for your titles?
I've had the laptop for two weeks, and it's brand new. I've used the pre-installed drivers and updated both Intel and NVIDIA drivers using GeForce Experience and the Intel Driver Updater. I've also run Windows Update to ensure everything is up-to-date.
I was also talking to NVIDIA chat support, and they suggested a few fixes. They told me to:
  1. Go to PCI Express Link State Power Management and set both settings to off.
  2. Do a clean installation of the latest NVIDIA driver, which I hadn't done previously. I went to the support page, re-downloaded all the drivers, including the VBIOS, to check if my problem would go away. However, the microstuttering persisted.
What fixed my issue was disabling Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling in the settings. This resolved the microstuttering in Counter-Strike 2 and Cyberpunk 2077.
Additionally, they advised me to set the power management mode to high performance in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but I haven't done that because I prefer letting Lenovo Legion and Razer Cortex handle the performance settings.

Now that the issue is resolved by disabling Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling, I think the other steps are unnecessary. However, I have a question because I lack experience in hardware and technical stuff. I have an 11-month warranty for the laptop from Lenovo and the retailer (Lenovo USA). My laptop is two weeks old, and I have another laptop of the same model that doesn't have microstuttering.
Given that the problem seems to be fixed, what do you think I should do? Is it likely a hardware issue or a software issue? Should I keep the laptop, or should I be concerned about potential underlying problems? I've talked to Lenovo, but they weren't helpful and suggested remote support assistance for a $99 one-time fee. NVIDIA live chat provided several fixes, including the one that worked, and have given me a few more suggestions if the problem persists.
What do you recommend I should do? Should I be worried about the hardware since I'm within the warranty period? What could have caused the microstuttering initially?

TRENDING THREADS