confusing for me. any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance :)

From: "fgpacheco_philippines" <fgpachecophilippines@discussions.microsoft.com>

| hi everyone!
|
| i just have a little question here. i am running a windows server 2000 with
| some workstations connected to it. all of the workstations are running
| windows xp pro sp2. when i ping the server from a workstation, e,g "ping
| myserver", it gives me a request timed out. but when i ping it with its ip,
| e.g "ping 192.xxx.xx.x", it replies back fine. this is just a little bit
| confusing for me. any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance :)

The PC Name is a NetBIOS construct. The IP address is a TCP/IP construct. The PING command
is a TCP/IP utility.
Unless there is a way to resolve a NetBIOS name to an IP address then a PING will time-out.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

thanks a lot dude!

and about this one. when i login to our domain from a workstation, it will
popup an error stating that i cant connect to the domain because of wrong
password or username or domain name something like that. i accidentally found
out that if i unplug the network cable, it will login to the network domain.
i tried loging-in to other workstation and it logs-in fine. what is causing
this problem? thanks again.

From: "fgpacheco_philippines" <fgpachecophilippines@discussions.microsoft.com>

| thanks a lot dude!
|
| and about this one. when i login to our domain from a workstation, it will
| popup an error stating that i cant connect to the domain because of wrong
| password or username or domain name something like that. i accidentally found
| out that if i unplug the network cable, it will login to the network domain.
| i tried loging-in to other workstation and it logs-in fine. what is causing
| this problem? thanks again.

The workstation is not Registered in the Domain properly. When you disconnect the network
cable it does not try to authenticate via a Domain controller, it will use cached
credentials.