ThePrestiged

Commendable
Jul 22, 2020
Good afternoon all,

I've come across a particularly frustrating issue where I am getting ping spikes and/or packet loss while playing LoL. The issue started maybe 2 or 3 months ago, and around that much time ago I received a new modem/router from my ISP. I can't say for sure the issue started when the new unit was installed, but it was around that time. Since then, during matches I have been getting large periods of time in-game where my ping spikes between 100-800 ms, and doesn't slow down. Interestingly, I've noticed a trend where my inputs (keyboard and mouse) seem to increase the spikes, and lack of inputs reduces the spikes, but the spikes last regardless. I've talked with LoL support and have followed their instructions for the better part of 2 weeks, and have reached the conclusion that the issue seems to lay in the routing of my ISP.

I just talked to my ISP about this issue and mentioned my conversations with LoL support but didn't really get anything done about it. They mentioned my internet plan was not compatible with my new modem/router unit and it needs to be upgraded to enhance compatibility, but I don't think this is an issue because the only application affected is LoL. All my other devices connected to my wifi have no connectivity issues before, during, and after my connection issues in LoL, and even other applications I have running during my games aren't affected either. Additionally, whenever I have gotten this internet issue, I've swapped to my mobile hotspot to finish the match(es) and my ping becomes stable.

Things I've done with instructions from LoL support:
DNS flush
Disabled IPv6 (Apparently the game runs better with IPv4)
Tested VPN
TCP/IP reset
Update network drivers/adapters
Reconfirmed game permissions
Fresh install of LoL
Firewall exceptions
PingPlotter and WinMTR testing

Now I ask you guys if you might have any tips, questions, or concerns. I will answer all to the best of my ability.

Did you try with a ethernet cable. This is a extremely common problem with wifi. Wifi is extremely hard to troubleshoot so it is best to eliminate it quickly if it is not the actual cause. Wifi causes much more problem with games. Your inputs causing more spikes also is very common with wifi because the more data you send the more errors you get. It is the errors and the data re transmission that is causing the delays.

Your best first tests are going to be to ping the router IP. You will almost never see a spike bigger than a couple ms on ethernet.
If you do something is strange with the router or software on the pc. You can then try to ping 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. These are dns servers that tend to be replicated in cities very close to you so you should see fairly low and consistent ping time.

Note if actual ping commands show no issue both on ethernet and wifi then it can be the game telling lies. It is not uncommon for a game to say get stuck doing video rendering and then when it finally gets time to look for its "ping" packet it blames the delay on the network rather than the packet was sitting there all along and it just didn't read it.

ThePrestiged

Commendable
Jul 22, 2020
Did you try with a ethernet cable. This is a extremely common problem with wifi. Wifi is extremely hard to troubleshoot so it is best to eliminate it quickly if it is not the actual cause. Wifi causes much more problem with games. Your inputs causing more spikes also is very common with wifi because the more data you send the more errors you get. It is the errors and the data re transmission that is causing the delays.

Your best first tests are going to be to ping the router IP. You will almost never see a spike bigger than a couple ms on ethernet.
If you do something is strange with the router or software on the pc. You can then try to ping 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. These are dns servers that tend to be replicated in cities very close to you so you should see fairly low and consistent ping time.

Note if actual ping commands show no issue both on ethernet and wifi then it can be the game telling lies. It is not uncommon for a game to say get stuck doing video rendering and then when it finally gets time to look for its "ping" packet it blames the delay on the network rather than the packet was sitting there all along and it just didn't read it.
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I'd like to start off by saying I managed to fix the issue by swapping back to the old version of the router that my ISP provided us. So apparently it had something to do with the newer version, although I am still perplexed due to the fact that the only application ever affected was LoL. Every device in the house was unnaffected, as well as every other application. Anyways, I wouldn't have been able to test ethernet because I can't have that wire on the floor, as it would have been between rooms and in the hallway (not just my home). But I appreciate your time and consideration!

Could be as simple as the different routers are using a different radio channel or band by default . Problem is one of your neighbors might start using the same radio channels and cause issues again.

It is unlikely it is actual router problem but you will never know. When you test you would run the cable likely for less than a hour. You could also move your pc very close to the router. This is purely a test configuration.