May 12, 2021
Starting a few months ago, we got a new modem and my ping began to spike and my computer would freeze randomly. Sometimes every hour, sometimes every couple minutes. I’ve tried everything I’ve read online and nothing has worked. It’s only my computer too! I’m on ethernet and everyone else in the house is fine. My ping will quadruple and my computer will begin to stutter. That happened for exactly a month and then stopped! My computer was fine for another month, I was able to play any game and do anything without my ping spiking and my PC freezing. About two weeks ago it started doing it again. I didn’t change or do anything for it to stop freezing and spiking, it just happened randomly after I had given up trying to fix it. I’ve updated every driver I can. Something I’ve noticed is that when I put my PC under load, aka play a game my computer doesn’t stutter. My ping only spikes heavily every now and then for varying durations. I’m so stumped.

specs
16gb ram
Gtx 1060 3gb
Ryzen r5 1600

Solution
Boot a linux live cd/usb and run packetlosstest.com. Run the same thing under windows. If they both are having issues, it's a network, hardware, or isp issue. If the problem goes away in linux, it's a windows software issue.
May 12, 2021
Boot a linux live cd/usb and run packetlosstest.com. Run the same thing under windows. If they both are having issues, it's a network, hardware, or isp issue. If the problem goes away in linux, it's a windows software issue.
I’m almost 100% sure it’s a software issue. It was doing it even while my router was resetting and it was disconnected from the internet. Any idea what software could be doing this?