[SOLVED] Planning a new build, suggestions are welcome, please help if you can.

Oct 16, 2019
UPDATE ON THE BUILD BELOW...

Hello.
First of all, I must say I am new to the forum although I have been following Tom's Hardware for quite a while just about everything I am not really clear with.
What I am trying to do is make a Desktop build which can be upgraded to the (at the current time) one of the best Gamer PC's.
For the record, MSI is kind of one of my favorites, but suggestions for similar or the same parts from other brands can be accepted.
I am trying to make a build with high adaptability basic parts, and few lower (cheap) specs parts which can work for the moment (not as high on a budget as of now, so planning to upgrade later). Any suggestions for add ons are very welcomed as well.
And one last thing, I am only for Intel build, not AMD, and not planning to make AMD at all. Also, I don't intend to overclock but use it as it is.
Here is what I have in mind at the moment:

Base parts as following... (suggestions are welcome)
Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 100D
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Power Supply: Seasonic 80PLUS Gold Certified FOCUS PLUS ATX Power Supply 650/750W (as I am aware is one of the tier 1 PSU's)
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 3200/3400MHz 16 GB
Processor cooler: MSI CORE FROZR XL (planning to use for future upgrades as well, might replace with liquid cooler though)
Storage: Plans to use Samsung EVO 940 SSD (500GB/1TB) and Toshiba HDD 2-3 TB

Current low-end parts with plans to upgrade on later... (suggestions are welcome)
Processor: Intel I5-9400F [later on planning upgrade up to i7-9700(K)/or even i9-9900(K)]
Graphics card: GTX 1650 4 GB (later on planning upgrade even up to the current top graphics card RTX 2080 Ti)

I live in Japan, so many brands are not accessible to me. As far as the upgrades are concerned, that will depend on the budget at the time of purchase.
If I forgot some of the needed parts, please let me know. I must have it in mind but while posting I forgot to mention it.
Also if anyone want to know my current PC build just ask, I will gladly share it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, If not getting more competent advice: I see no compatibility issues. If able to buy different RAMs, I would suggest G.Skill, or Corsair. Also thermal compound and isopropyl alcohol, just in case.
Oct 16, 2019
Hi, If not getting more competent advice: I see no compatibility issues. If able to buy different RAMs, I would suggest G.Skill, or Corsair. Also thermal compound and isopropyl alcohol, just in case.

Thank you for your comment alexoiu.
I already have thermal compound, that's something I use from time to time in electronics or during cleaning/repair of electronics or computers (i am an electrician and have also been working on PC repair, just never built an actual PC myself, this will be my first build)
About the brand of RAM, on my current desktop, I have Corsair Vengeance PRO 16 GB (ddr3 because it is older PC), but I thought to try the mentioned RAM, it shouldn't be that much worse I think. About the isopropyl alcohol ... I can't really see any reason to get one unless it is meant for cleaning, though the brand new parts come very clean (unless you make fingerprints on it yourself).

And your suggestion is appreciated, as I mentioned before I gladly accept any suggestions that can benefit me in any way or remind me about something I forgot.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
No problem.
The alcohol was suggested for cleaning the thermal paste, if needing reinstalling the CPU and CPU cooler. For single pc assembling, it would not be needed.

Yes, I was guessing what was the alcohol for =)
Thanks for the reminder, though I am reviewing my options in the past couple of days, so I will try to make a full arranged build which I would consider final unless someone suggest a change of anything. That will be something I am going to make without really being concerned for upgrading in the next few years at the very minimum.

Oct 16, 2019
Okay so my build is pretty planned now. Have been looking around benchmarks, reading plethora of posts about some of the better performing parts, tiers list and combining that with my favorite MSI brand where possible and i ended up with the following:

Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9
CPU i9-9900K
Case
Corsair Obsidian 500D
PSU Seasonic PRIME SSR-850GD-AT
CPU Cooler Corsair H115i Pro RGB 280mm
Graphics card
MSI GeForce RTX 2080TI GAMING X TRIO
RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Series 3200MHz 32GB (2 sticks of 16 GB)
SSD 1TB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus M.2 Type 2280
Case intake fan x2 Corsair ML120 75 CFM 120 mm Fans
to add on the front case intake part since it is only 1 built-in

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
Updated motherboard from MSI Z390 Gaming pro Carbon to ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 (i ordered it today, getting it tommorow)
GPU is purchased already, same as the Samsung 970 Evo Plus and the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro.
Besides the fans and the CPU cooler, everything else is ordered and it arrives tommorow.

Oct 16, 2019
No problem I suggest testing firstly the system outside the case, only CPU, CPU cooler and single RAM installed.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I need to, after all I spent days to make sure everything will suit perfectly. As for the ability to put everything together, I am working with electronics for 17 years now and with computers for 12 years, just never made a full build from scratch, untill now.