xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
so, i have tried every single method i could find on how to increase the utilization of the gpu but none seem to work...
i tried turning off low latency mode, threaded optimization and setting power manageent to max performance in the 3d settings section of nvidia control panel.
i tried overclocking and locking the clock of the gpu
i tried selecting the high performance power plan in control panel
and then ive selected, in the graphics settings in the windows settings , the games ive been playing and setting them to high performance
but nothing seems to work , my gpu utilization is always 10-40% and rarely goes past that and if it does it stays there for a second and comes back down..
when benchmarking with msi kombustor the utilization does go up to 100% somehow
ryzen 5 3400g @ 4.1ghz
gtx 1650 @2115mhz gpu clock and 6500mhz memory clock
hyperz fury 2666mhz 2*8gb
asrock b450 steel legend
and some random hdd and a 500w 83+ zalman power supply
i just dont get it whats wrong 😭
HELP.

Solution
unless the higher utilization is required, as with Kombustor, the usage will remain lower.
just because it is not running at 100% at all times does not mean that it is providing lower than expected performance.

if you are getting lower than expected performance in particular games list them here along with what similar systems are getting that you are basing your comparison on.

there's a few other things you can also do to improve performance;
get decent speed RAM ~3200MHz,
get a decent sized SSD for game installations,
make sure you have a higher tiered reliable power supply, etc.
unless the higher utilization is required, as with Kombustor, the usage will remain lower.
just because it is not running at 100% at all times does not mean that it is providing lower than expected performance.

if you are getting lower than expected performance in particular games list them here along with what similar systems are getting that you are basing your comparison on.

Solution

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020

hey , sorry , i was away, and the games i tried are minecraft and roblox , i dont have more because i just wiped my hdd because of a birus but im planning to reinstall doom eternal again.
the fps is just not as expected and this frustrates me, i mean, imagine my fps dropping to 38 in a roblox game, jailbreak , what the heck

dude? wym? how can this setup even go as low as 38fps in roblox frequently, and its one of the lower end roblox games "jailbreak" ?
anyway i guess u dont really have a solution
GPU will run as fast as CPU allows it to do so...
You can run some CPU benchmarks to see if your CPU rund as it should

since you have low GPU usage, you can increase resolution (DSR maybe) or game details without loosing FPS

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
GPU will run as fast as CPU allows it to do so...
You can run some CPU benchmarks to see if your CPU rund as it should

since you have low GPU usage, you can increase resolution (DSR maybe) or game details without loosing FPS
hey i'll run an msi kombustor benchmark and show u the result over here , hope it can tell you something...
and no i cant increase the resolution beyond 1080p, ill try out details though but in minecraft i cant find much details, ill download some games later and check
but now ill post some benchmark for the gpu for you to see.
https://gpuscore.top/msi/kombustor/show.php?id=1057154 --- here
when i increase the clock speed above 2040mhz i see quite a lot of these black jagged lines coming up in the benchmark , at 2040 i do see but very less.
do these mean anything ?

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
I see no link to the userbenchmark. I asked for it specifically because I can see through that, more info than you can provide reliably.
Ohhh userbenchmark , I just saw it as benchmark so I did an MSI kombustor benchmark , I shall do one soon enough for userbenchmark. But for now , is the score in MSI kombustor good ? And what are those jagged black lines appearing in the msi kombustor when I increase the GPU core clock is my 2040mhz too high ? That's probably not the cause of low usage anyway

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
and i know my 3200mhz ram is running at 2666mhz but i just dont find a way to run it at atleast 2933, i tried everything , you can check my previous threads, so just leave the ram at that , i dont believe its the reason for low usage anyway

InvalidError

Titan
The HDD being much slower than expected looks like an obvious problem - expect massive dips in fps while a game is busy loading stuff from an abnormally slow HDD.

As for problems running your memory at higher clocks, most Ryzen motherboards require BIOS updates to run decently well. If you have never updated BIOS on your board, chances are it may be running an old version with greatly sub-par memory compatibility.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
The HDD being much slower than expected looks like an obvious problem - expect massive dips in fps while a game is busy loading stuff from an abnormally slow HDD.

As for problems running your memory at higher clocks, most Ryzen motherboards require BIOS updates to run decently well. If you have never updated BIOS on your board, chances are it may be running an old version with greatly sub-par memory compatibility.
wait whaaaat , how come the hdd has something to do with this, i always thought any random hdd would do , pls tell me more

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020

and i wont try updating my bios this time, i bricked my motherboard the last time and i just got this steel legend in july so it has a fairly new bios

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020

Artifacts while overclocking are to be expected and that means the OC is too high.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGpc0DmGT0

see this guys video over here, he gets like 500 fps average with over 50% usage , for me it sits at 200-250fps and almost always less than 30% usage...

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
ughhhhh why is it so low for me bruhhhhhhhhh i literally just bought this gpu , why does every pc part i buy has to be this poor gosh

Last edited by a moderator:

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Simple: if it takes more time for stuff to load from a drive that is performing below par, you are more likely to notice performance issues from the game waiting for stuff to finish loading.
well i really hope thats the case and its not a problem with my gpu
but i checked many resources claiming that an hdd wont impact fps much

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Depends on whether we're talking FPS dips from loading stuff or constant low FPS even after everything has been loaded.
Constant low FPS for my card , it's supposed to be a lot more so it's not the HDD
Get the proper bios and chipset driver for the mobo.
It looks like your running some old stuff.
It may not help any thing but get it out of the way.
And I do have the proper chipset driver but the bios nah man I won't try that, for my asrock mb they r asking for some usb method and the last time I tried I lost 125$ 😢
Cmon it's gotta be something else

Last edited by a moderator: