FrozenZephyr

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014
Had a power outage yesterday and upon restarting my pc my motherboard displayed a message "bios has been reset please decide how to continue" I selected load optimized defaults and windows 10 attempted to boot up but froze right before I got to the lock screen to log in with a black screen and white dots not moving, another weird thing is that I can get into windows recovery and boot into safe mode just fine, inside of safe mode I was able to run sfc scannow and event log I saw alot of dcom 1084 errors not sure if that has anything to do with it. I recently was able to boot into windows normally after a clean boot but it's very unstable and if I restart it just loads onto a black screen with nothing displayed but fans still spinning another thing I noticed is when I connected my 1070 back to my motherboard the hang up happens much earlier at the start motherboard boot screen unlike using the onboard gpu which boots pass that but as i mentioned mostly also freezes later on with a black screen unless I boot into safe mode so I'm completely lost here.

Things I've tried :
Removing the CMOS battery
Removing one of my ram sticks
Removing all peripherals
System Restore
sfc/scannow
Reset windows ( still froze during installation)
Chkdsk
DDU in safe mode

This build is pretty old here are the specs
CPU: I5 4690K was oc'd
GPU:GTX 1070
RAM: 2X8 G Skill
STORAGE: HDD 1TB
PSU: CORSAIR CX600
MOBO: Z97X -SLI GIGABYTE

Solution
The purpose of the cmos battery is to preserve bios settings whenever there is a power failure.
Normally a plugged in psu will deliver a trickle of current to keep settings and allow starting via the front case power button.
CR2032 batteries may last the lifetime of the pc.
You could use a multimeter to gauge the condition of the battery to see if you want to replace it.

Safe mode runs with a minimum of drivers.
If you can run in safe mode, your problem may be driver related.
See if you can reinstall drivers, particularly motherboard drivers.

Do not overclock anything until you get this figured out.

Strange things can happen when a psu starts to go bad.
Can you test with a known good psu of 550w or more?

Ralston18

Titan
Noted: "Removing the CMOS battery"

Have you tried a new/fresh CMOS battery?

My immediate thought is that the PSU may be nearing EOL (End of Life).

Especially if the PSU has been used for heavy gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

Double check that all drivers are up to date.

Manually download as necessary via the applicable manufacturer's website. (No 3rd party installers.) Reinstall and reconfigure the drivers.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors, warnings, and even informational events that may have been captured.

Varying and increasing number of errors are characteristic of a failing PSU.

FrozenZephyr

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014
Noted: "Removing the CMOS battery"

Have you tried a new/fresh CMOS battery?

My immediate thought is that the PSU may be nearing EOL (End of Life).

Especially if the PSU has been used for heavy gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

Double check that all drivers are up to date.

Manually download as necessary via the applicable manufacturer's website. (No 3rd party installers.) Reinstall and reconfigure the drivers.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors, warnings, and even informational events that may have been captured.

Varying and increasing number of errors are characteristic of a failing PSU.
Yeah after deleting some intel drivers in device manager particularly onboard graphics and Intel management engine interface driver I'm able to boot into windows normally now without any freezes and everything seems to be working fine except my only issue now is the system still hangs on restart/shutdown whenever I restart or shut down my peripherals shutdown RGB keyboard/mouse but the motherboard led and CPU fans are still running do you think that is related to the PSU or should I just buy a new CMOS?

The purpose of the cmos battery is to preserve bios settings whenever there is a power failure.
Normally a plugged in psu will deliver a trickle of current to keep settings and allow starting via the front case power button.
You could use a multimeter to gauge the condition of the battery to see if you want to replace it.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
If you get a message about settings being lost at boot after a power outage, it usually means that the CMOS/RTC battery is dead. Most of the PCs I have had will complain at boot about the battery being either weak or missing, some even refuse to boot without it.

FrozenZephyr

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014

I don't have another psu to test but I believe this is more of a driver issue now as after I uninstalled my intel 4600 graphics driver via device manager I'm able to boot into windows fine the only issue I have now my pc doesn't shutdown or restart it says updates are available I select shutdown or restart windows acts like its shutting down my monitor shuts off so does the keyboard and mouse but the system fans and motherboard stays on also as of right now I tried to reinstall the Intel drivers via windows update and it immediately froze the screen again so I'm thinking intel driver related.