[SOLVED] Power usage trend potentially causing freezing with some games?

Aug 12, 2019
Some (not all, weirdly enough) games are freezing and I have a feeling it has something to do with my PSU. I am noticing that power usage trend is always very high when running Street Fighter V, one of two games that freeze often, but not sure what that means. Maybe I bought a PSU that is not strong enough? Recently built this computer so all parts are new. Thanks!

Computer specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660ti

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Cosair Vengence LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

EDIT: Also noticed that CPU core clock hits up to 4275 MHz for certain games, which does not seem safe. CPU temps hit 65C and the GPU hit 48C max when playing Street Fighter V.

Here is a link to a benchmark test as well, if it helps.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19218353

Last edited:
Solution
psu is very good quality and more than enough.
Is this an upgrade from an old gpu? If so, could be driver issue.
Are you overclocking? If so, reset bios to stock level and see if issue is resolved.
Aug 12, 2019
Thanks for responding. I thought my PSU was fine too. Thanks for clearing that up. So I figured out my issue about a week ago. I use a mobile hotspot that I plug into my computer via USB. The computer looks at this connection and detects it as an ethernet connection. In games with networking (online play) this stuttering would happen and as soon as I disconnected the hotspot from the computer, the game would run back to normal with no more stuttering issues.

I did not upgrade the GPU, by the way. This is a brand new build from scratch. By connecting my phone to my laptop and then sharing the internet from the laptop to my desktop's ethernet port, I no longer have that stuttering issue.

Still unsure why this happens when plugging the hotspot in via USB. It only happens in games. I can surf the web just fine. The hotspot is definitely trash in terms of upload rates, so maybe that is the issue? It's just weird how it can cause games to slow down and stutter/freeze.

Last edited by a moderator: