Question Press power button - power button and ram rgb lights up but no boot. Power off by holding power button and next boot is successful.

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
Hey everyone,

So I built my new PC a couple weeks ago and I've had this issue happen twice;

I press the power button on the case and it lights up and my RAM RGB lights up, but I get nothing else, no power supply click or any other RGB lights. Then I power it off by holding case power button, then switch it off and on again from PSU switch and press power on and it boots as normal, straight to windows. I can then play games and run it as normal, there was a week between these incidents and I have no other issues. I've restarted and done complete shut downs and boots multiple times to check to see if it happens again but I've only had it twice.

There are no Q codes on the motherboard to indicate an issue and there are no boot lights either. I've attached a picture of what it looks like here.

View: https://imgur.com/a/kjLT95M

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Specs:
Asus Maximus Hero Z790
Corsair Dominator DDR5 16gbx2
Intel i7 13700k
Corsair HX1500i PSU
Asus Strix 4080oc
Corsair H170i LCD elite cooler
7x Corsair ML140 fans
Corsair 7000x case

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? As for your motherboard, if you're on the latest version, try clearing the CMOS and then see if the issue persists. One other thing you can do is swap the sticks of ram in their own slots, meaning stick of A2 ram in B2, Stick B2 ram in A2.

I'd also look into the connections for your system, to all components in case something might be partially seated.

Reactions: NotSteve

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? As for your motherboard, if you're on the latest version, try clearing the CMOS and then see if the issue persists. One other thing you can do is swap the sticks of ram in their own slots, meaning stick of A2 ram in B2, Stick B2 ram in A2.

I'd also look into the connections for your system, to all components in case something might be partially seated.
Okay will do, I'd assume connections are fine if it's happening so infrequently but I will check.

What does swapping the RAM do exactly?

And I can clear CMOS with just the button on the back of the I/O right?

I'll try all this tomorrow but I can imagine this will be a hard one to try as it's so infrequent

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016

optionally search "how to turn off fast boot Windows 11"
Thanks mate, I'll try this tomorrow! Tbf it did only happen after I updated to Windows 11 but its also hard to pin it down due to the infrequency of the issue

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It may be that there is some random weirdness going on with the install. Did you perform the upgrade to, or a clean install?

I wouldn't imagine hardware that was working properly beforehand suddenly has some issue on a physical level. Might consider trying the sfc and dism commands.

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
It may be that there is some random weirdness going on with the install. Did you perform the upgrade to, or a clean install?

I wouldn't imagine hardware that was working properly beforehand suddenly has some issue on a physical level. Might consider trying the sfc and dism commands.
I done the upgrade, my install was Windows 10 then I upgraded after. Yeah you're right, also the fact that everything runs fine and it's not something that happens every single time and it's an easy fix.

Tomorrow I'll try that fast startup thing you said and then those commands, if it happens again I'll try clear CMOS

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
I done the upgrade, my install was Windows 10 then I upgraded after. Yeah you're right, also the fact that everything runs fine and it's not something that happens every single time and it's an easy fix.

Tomorrow I'll try that fast startup thing you said and then those commands, if it happens again I'll try clear CMOS

I done SFC /SCANNOW and a corrupt file was found so it says, I'll monitor from here and see how we go. I also disabled fast startup.

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
Okay will do, I'd assume connections are fine if it's happening so infrequently but I will check.

What does swapping the RAM do exactly?

And I can clear CMOS with just the button on the back of the I/O right?

I'll try all this tomorrow but I can imagine this will be a hard one to try as it's so infrequent

So im on BIOS Version 0813, I know thats not the latest version. Could be that my RAM was not supported back on that version as I know these new Z790 boards have a very limited QVL.

Is there a way I can see the QVL for this specific version?

I also checked all connections and they appear to be fine.

I guess it's something I'm gonna have to monitor

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
Okay so it happened again, went like this;

Pressed power on button and heard PSU click, mobo lights on flex key and start button come on as in picture before and RAM rgb comes on. No boot lights and no LEDs, NOTHING ELSE. Held power button to turn off, flex key and start button lights stay on. Press power button again and system starts as normal and runs perfect.

Could this be buggy BIOS version? I know these new boards do suffer a little bit

D

Deleted member 2947362

Okay so it happened again, went like this;

Pressed power on button and heard PSU click, mobo lights on flex key and start button come on as in picture before and RAM rgb comes on. No boot lights and no LEDs, NOTHING ELSE. Held power button to turn off, flex key and start button lights stay on. Press power button again and system starts as normal and runs perfect.

Could this be buggy BIOS version? I know these new boards do suffer a little bit
you could check and look through the BIOS downloads and maybe try a different BIOS version see if that helps? it would at least rule out buggy BIOS if it doesn't.