[SOLVED] Problem after trying to overclock my GPU ?

Nov 1, 2021
Hello to everyone! It’s my first post here and hope someone could help me.

I tried to overclock my GPU yesterday with MSI ab. Started to oc core clock with increments of 20 running Kombustor all the time. In the meanwhile I was also running Unigine Superpositon. Both softwares display temps. Also, temp was monitored through iCue and all three shows same temps.

After last increasement of 20 PC turns off with led from PC case power button still lit.

Can’t turn on pc anymore. No mobo post, Leds on mobo and GPU still turned on, RGB on RAM’s also. Tried following: cmos cleared, battery removed, tried second (backup) bios and at the end disconnected everything from PSU, put adapter on PSU so I could test PSU itself and what was happening I heard only click when fan tries to run and that’s it. Think PSU is dead.
How could it be possible? New PSU SEASONIC Prime Platinum 1300W, more then sufficient power.
And GPU is ASUS TUF 3080 RTX OC (non LHR).
Any help would be appreciated. Thx

Last edited:
Solution
1)The Prime platform specifically, does not play nice with the upper end Ampere cards.
The high transient power spikes tend to trip protections on these units. Post 2018 Seasonic Focus platform isn't affected.
Over-provisioning on wattage is supposed to help with Prime, alongside power limiting the gpu.

2)The cards have their own protections, but OverCurrentProtection appears to be set too high, allowing it to get to dangerous levels with the user unaware. It's then entirely up to their psu for OCP instead of both of them.
The other protections, like over voltage and over temp, work like they're supposed to.

3)Video evidence of the infamous New World causing these cards to run out of spec:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The Prime platform specifically, does not play nice with the upper end Ampere cards.
The high transient power spikes tend to trip protections on these units. Post 2018 Seasonic Focus platform isn't affected.
Over-provisioning on wattage is supposed to help with Prime, alongside power limiting the gpu.

2)The cards have their own protections, but OverCurrentProtection appears to be set too high, allowing it to get to dangerous levels with the user unaware. It's then entirely up to their psu for OCP instead of both of them.
The other protections, like over voltage and over temp, work like they're supposed to.

3)Video evidence of the infamous New World causing these cards to run out of spec:

Msi Kombustor is just Furmark, and FM hits these cards in a similar manner to New World.

4)You were trying to overclock the gpu and running Kombustor for who knows how long, making all this worse.
Something was bound to give, but it wasn't in the manner I expected...

Maybe the psu was a lemon... or the protection is still in effect somehow? I have no idea. Wasn't all you had to do to reset them was turn them completely off and on again? ¯\(ツ)
Do you have another gpu or psu to test with for that build?

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
Nov 1, 2021

Msi Kombustor is just Furmark, and FM hits these cards in a similar manner to New World.

4)You were trying to overclock the gpu and running Kombustor for who knows how long, making all this worse.
Something was bound to give, but it wasn't in the manner I expected...

Maybe the psu was a lemon... or the protection is still in effect somehow? I have no idea. Wasn't all you had to do to reset them was turn them completely off and on again? ¯\(ツ)
Do you have another gpu or psu to test with for that build?
Phaaze88, thank you very much for your time.
I could not imagine that someone will gives me so much infos.
I don’t have another PSU, think about buying some and for this one I made RMA already, but need to send it to another country and it will take a while and can not wait another 3-4 weeks. So could you recommend me some? I want some with at least 1000w because I’ll buy another card within next few months so I would like to have enough power later.

I could not try another GPU because I watercool my PC. Ok, I can but… it took some time to make it available to do.

What about Corsair RX, TX, Asus Thor, Be Quiet… At first I had doubt between Prime and Thor… So I choose wrong one ☹

And also what I did, I disconnected everything from PSU, also from MOBO and tried to test PSU itself (with short circuit connector). I just have time to hear “click”: fan starts and ends in a half of second and that’s it. Tried PUMP, FANS and nothing powers on so there is 100% some thing about PSU.

Also, I have fault LEDs on MOBO and every one of them are turned of. Only RAM sticks has theirs own Lightshow.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What about Corsair RX, TX, Asus Thor, Be Quiet… At first I had doubt between Prime and Thor
I'm no psu expert; I have to rely on reviews and tier lists myself. All that info I posted is gathered from other videos and articles.
Take something from Tier A:

I don't believe you chose wrong at all.
You have a gpu that doesn't really have any room to push it - perhaps for LN2 - combined with Ampere's lousy power efficiency and preset current limit.

Nov 1, 2021
Check it out, just what you said. Number 8, there is solution for this PSU, unfortunately saw it to late. But still I had enough power (over 1000w for RTX 3080). Hope everything else is untouched.

thanks a bunch!

8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.

In any case this are not the best times to try to push a GPU OC. If you can make it work again I strongly suggest you to just play your games and avoid doing any kind of OC.

This is really new hardware, the newer you can buy at this time, leave overclocking for the future.

Reactions: Nilatahk

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Check it out, just what you said. Number 8, there is solution for this PSU, unfortunately saw it to late. But still I had enough power (over 1000w for RTX 3080). Hope everything else is untouched.

thanks a bunch!

8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.
Yeah, you over-provisioned, but what I expected to fail on you was the gpu, due to you pushing it on Kombustor. It wouldn't be surprising if it was pushing the gpu over it's max rated power limit(110%). That's not supposed to happen.
It could still be the gpu, but we won't know until you try another psu or try the gpu in another system.

Nov 1, 2021
Check it out, just what you said. Number 8, there is solution for this PSU, unfortunately saw it to late. Hope everything else is untouched.

thanks a bunch!

Yeah, you over-provisioned, but what I expected to fail on you was the gpu, due to you pushing it on Kombustor. It wouldn't be surprising if it was pushing the gpu over it's max rated power limit(110%). That's not supposed to happen.
It could still be the gpu, but we won't know until you try another psu or try the gpu in another system.
Hey guys, luckily it was really about PSU only. I bought today new PSU and everything is ON again. I also made stress test through UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION for whole 30min and get same results as before.
Mystery about damaged PSU stays. I really don’t know why this happened!

Anyway, I could say that I have luck also. And you guys, thanks again for your time.

stay cool 😎😃👍

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello to everyone! It’s my first post here and hope someone could help me.

I tried to overclock my GPU yesterday with MSI ab. Started to oc core clock with increments of 20 running Kombustor all the time. In the meanwhile I was also running Unigine Superpositon. Both softwares display temps. Also, temp was monitored through iCue and all three shows same temps.

After last increasement of 20 PC turns off with led from PC case power button still lit.

Can’t turn on pc anymore. No mobo post, Leds on mobo and GPU still turned on, RGB on RAM’s also. Tried following: cmos cleared, battery removed, tried second (backup) bios and at the end disconnected everything from PSU, put adapter on PSU so I could test PSU itself and what was happening I heard only click when fan tries to run and that’s it. Think PSU is dead.
How could it be possible? New PSU SEASONIC Prime Platinum 1300W, more then sufficient power.
And GPU is ASUS TUF 3080 RTX OC (non LHR).
Any help would be appreciated. Thx
Try to boot in safe mode. If you can then uninstall afterburner.

I have no clue why people try to OC a pre overclocked card.