tdrlnc

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017
Hi! :D
I'm currently trying to move my Windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD.
This seemed possible through software such as "AOMEI Partition Assistant" so I tried it. When asked to select "Unallocated space" on a target disk, I'm not given any options. I tried the same procedure with the software "EaseUS Partition Master" and in that software I'm met with the text: "The source disk cannot be selected as target.."

How do I get past this? o_O

Thanks!

Solution
Ok, this is confusing. How did you manage to get letter D: for windows drive ?

Can you show full upper part of Disk Management screenshot (including drive capacity and remaining free space)?

Anyway - you can not move OS from 2TB drive (with 1.5TB used space in OS partition) to 120GB SSD. This is impossible.
Clean your SSD and perform windows install on it (HDD disconnected).

tdrlnc

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
Here you go:
nuluzx6.png

It's in Swedish so feel free to ask.. :rolleyes:

I've now been told, by another software called Minitool, that the problem is that my Boot- and my System partitions are on different drives. How do I change this without destroying anything..?

tdrlnc

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017
What drive are you trying to migrate to?
Please give us a rundown of:
All the drives involved.
How much space is consumed on the current C drive
What OS is this?

I want to move my Windows 10 OS from my HDD (D drive) to my SSD (C drive). I got about 80gb free space on my SSD and about 1.5TB of stuff, including garbage, on my HDD. Therefor I want to move only my OS to speed things up.

Can you show full upper part of Disk Management screenshot (including drive capacity and remaining free space)?

Anyway - you can not move OS from 2TB drive (with 1.5TB used space in OS partition) to 120GB SSD. This is impossible.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I want to move my Windows 10 OS from my HDD (D drive) to my SSD (C drive). I got about 80gb free space on my SSD and about 1.5TB of stuff, including garbage, on my HDD. Therefor I want to move only my OS to speed things up.
You can't.

Moving the whole 1.5TB of data from the HDD to the 120GB SSD cannot happen.
Moving "only Windows" also cannot happen. There is no application or function to do that.

tdrlnc

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017

I will when I get the time.
I want to move Windows 10 ONLY. Nothing else. I’ve heart it can be done with the partition manager softwares mentioned above.

I read it is possible here.
Read entire article (including Note at the bottom).

Note - This migration will move the entire C drive to SSD. However, the personal files you created on other partitions like E drive will not be moved and stay on the HDD.

This works only, if OS is on a separate partition from other data.
Since everything is on same partition, AOMEI partition assistant will not be able to help you. You can not squeeze 1.5GB of data into 120GB drive.

tdrlnc

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017
Read entire article (including Note at the bottom).

This works only, if OS is on a separate partition from other data.
Since everything is on same partition, AOMEI partition assistant will not be able to help you. You can not squeeze 1.5GB of data into 120GB drive.

Oh I missed that..
So since my OS partition is merged with everything else I cannot move JUST the OS?

tdrlnc

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017
Well I've now done a clean install of W10 on my SSD. However, when backing up files from my HDD and clearing others out, it seems like folders may have merged and I've lost a bunch of stuff. Including FL Studio and all my projects on there :/

USAFRet

Titan
Well I've now done a clean install of W10 on my SSD. However, when backing up files from my HDD and clearing others out, it seems like folders may have merged and I've lost a bunch of stuff. Including FL Studio and all my projects on there :/
You back up all that stuff before you do anything about a new OS install. Have it on some other drive and offline during that process.

A clean install of the OS means that you also do a clean install of everything else.
If your applications (FL Studio) and all your personal files were on that same drive and/or partition...they are gone.