[SOLVED] Problem with MSI B360-F Pro motherboard?

Apr 13, 2020
Hello! I just bought the a MSI B360-F Pro and am having issues as I can't get any display to be produced. The EZ debug led goes through the normal progression of CPU, DRAM, holds at VGA for a few seconds, then moves to boot where it just sits. Power is getting to the motherboard as all the devices (HD, cpu fan, etc) are working. However, at that point BIOS does not show up on the screen as it should. Here is what I have done so far:

• changed working monitors and tried multiple configurations of DVI/HDMI cables (in case it was a cable issue)
  • reseated the CPU again
  • Cleared CMOS
  • tried 2 different working power supplys
  • Trying with only one GPU before I add others to the rig just to get the OS installed
  • inserted gpu directly into motherboard as opposed to using risers (same result)
  • Note, I tried the HDMI/VGA for both the GPU card and the onboard motherboard.
The specs:
Case: open air Veddha 8 gpu mining rig
Motherboard: MSI b360-F pro
CPU: I5-9400 LGA 1151
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W (tested working)
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4 - (CMD16GX4M2B3000C15)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTC 1660 Ti and tried older 7950 HD radeon sapphire as well
Using PCIE 16x to 1x powered riser adapter (light on motherboard does show up) - tested 3 different risers as well

Any and all ideas are welcome...

Last edited:
Solution
Update #1
Just wanted to update everyone that I got a i3 core 8100 LGA 1151 to test out before my Celeron came tomorrow and the i5 9400 CPU was the issue. The BIOS came up no problem with the 8th gen CPU in. I plan to flash the BIOS next to which would allow my i5 9400 CPU to work in my MSI B360-F PRO.

Update #2
After getting the BIOS screen to show up with my i3 core 8100, I updated the BIOS by downloading https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B25v28.zip, flashed the BIOS via m-flash, rebooted and checked to see that I did indeed have the latest BIOS (2019-12-27) and one that supported 9th gen CPU. Took out the i3 8100 and put in my i5 9400 and BIOS came right up although I am using the integrated DVI connected...
If the light on the mobo is lit up, it might indicate it is unable to boot with the core i5 9400F for the moment.
Go by a local computer store or shop, ask them to put in a older cpu like core i5 7500.
Have them test it, then flash the curent bios update MSI suggests for it, if that happens it should start working.

Apr 13, 2020
I was afraid the the new i5 9400 CPU would require a flash update. Unfortunately, not to many local computer stores are actually open during the quarantine. I may have to purchase another cheaper CPU to verify and get it running, then flash the 9400, any suggestions?

Apr 13, 2020
Good to hear, the celeron arrives on Thursday so in the meantime I will put together another veddha frame today. Will let you know how it goes when it gets here - appreciate the help.

Apr 13, 2020
Update #1
Just wanted to update everyone that I got a i3 core 8100 LGA 1151 to test out before my Celeron came tomorrow and the i5 9400 CPU was the issue. The BIOS came up no problem with the 8th gen CPU in. I plan to flash the BIOS next to which would allow my i5 9400 CPU to work in my MSI B360-F PRO.

Update #2
After getting the BIOS screen to show up with my i3 core 8100, I updated the BIOS by downloading https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B25v28.zip, flashed the BIOS via m-flash, rebooted and checked to see that I did indeed have the latest BIOS (2019-12-27) and one that supported 9th gen CPU. Took out the i3 8100 and put in my i5 9400 and BIOS came right up although I am using the integrated DVI connected to the motherboard for my video. Hopefully this helps someone if they run into the same issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 13, 2020
Yea, I am going to use the i3 core 8100 for my other mobo since I have one to spare. Will keep the Celeron around for testing from now on. Thanks for the help.