[SOLVED] Problems installing Windows 10 on new PC

Dec 11, 2020
Morning everyone!

Yesterday I built my first PC and had fun doing it. Before I installed any of the components, I made sure to update the BIOS, using a FAT32 16gb USB (using the latest MSI BIOS). After this, I put the rest of it together and pressed the power button. LET THERE BE LIGHT! PC powered on first time and went straight into BIOS. I then shut it down, installed windows 10 creation tool on the USB, plugged it in and chose the Sandisk USB as boot order #1 in the bios. Pressed "Save and Exit" but met with the MSI splash logo, cut in half and going off the edge of the screen at opposite sides. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated!! I thought I was doing it right, but any help from an expert would be great! Driving me nuts!

- Adam

Morning everyone!

Yesterday I built my first PC and had fun doing it. Before I installed any of the components, I made sure to update the BIOS, using a FAT32 16gb USB (using the latest MSI BIOS). After this, I put the rest of it together and pressed the power button. LET THERE BE LIGHT! PC powered on first time and went straight into BIOS. I then shut it down, installed windows 10 creation tool on the USB, plugged it in and chose the Sandisk USB as boot order #1 in the bios. Pressed "Save and Exit" but met with the MSI splash logo, cut in half and going off the edge of the screen at opposite sides. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated!! I thought I was doing it right, but any help from an expert would be great! Driving me nuts!

- Adam
That looks like resolution problem with Windows installation, It boots pretty slow and has to find right drivers, it should continue normally after a while.

Seems like windows installation media hasn't been prepared properly.
How did you prepare it?

Did you follow steps according to this tutorial?

Dec 11, 2020
Seems like windows installation media hasn't been prepared properly.
How did you prepare it?

Did you follow steps according to this tutorial?
Hi there SkyNet. Just went through this guide and I have done everything it says. I've only got a single m.2 drive attached and the usb on the rear port. It says disconnect everything with SATA, although I do have a node pro connected via SATA power. Is it worth trying Rufus?

Just wondering something .... i looked at your first screenshot , is this your desktop and did you ever get to the desktop.
Check all the buttons on your monitor , you might have a button that resets what you are looking at.
Of centre displays used to happen a lot many years ago , usually when swapping between different screen resolutions.

I assume you made the windows creation tool on a different pc because the one you just built would obviously have nothing on it. During making the windows creation tool did you choose the option to prepare it for use on another pc.

I'm not sure what you mean by UEFI and legacy, sorry new to all this. This is a picture of boot options though:
So - all your boot options are UEFI.
Then it's possible, your windows installation media has been prepared for legacy install and can't boot into UEFI mode.

Either recreate install media for UEFI (this can be done with rufus) or
enable CSM in BIOS and install in legacy mode.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020
Just wondering something .... i looked at your first screenshot , is this your desktop and did you ever get to the desktop.
Check all the buttons on your monitor , you might have a button that resets what you are looking at.
Of centre displays used to happen a lot many years ago , usually when swapping between different screen resolutions.

I assume you made the windows creation tool on a different pc because the one you just built would obviously have nothing on it. During making the windows creation tool did you choose the option to prepare it for use on another pc.

Hello MJS!

That 1st screenshot appears before windows can even attempt to install. As soon as I exit the BIOS this appears. I havent even seen the desktop yet :/ Checked my monitor but nothing seems to change. And yeah I created the installation tool on my other PC and specified the option to prepare a new one.

Dec 11, 2020
So - all your boot options are UEFI.
Then it's possible, your windows installation media has been prepared for legacy install and can't boot into UEFI mode.

Either recreate install media for UEFI (this can be done with rufus) or
enable CSM in BIOS and install in legacy mode.

Ok I see. Right, I just downloaded windows ISO file and used Rufus to format it as UEFI. I plugged the drive into the usb 2 slot on the mobo and powered it on. Made sure to choose UEFI Sandisk as #1 option. Pressed f10 to save and exit, but met with the same screen as the 1st screenshot I shared.

Sorry, but what do you mean exactly?
In this screen - you should have options like
UEFI Hard disk - this UEFI boot entry​
Hard disk - this is legacy boot entry.​
Set legacy boot entry - as first boot option.

oRcQC6Dl.jpg