May 23, 2019
Hi,

I just bought a new PC with the following things:

ASRock B450M-HLD R4.0 (BIOS P1.0)
RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + Radeon Vega 11 AM4 STOCK Cooler
(stock settings, XLP profile for RAM, and 2gb allocated graphics memory)
2x8GB RAM Team DDR4 2666MHz T-Force Vulcan Red
Power Supply Corsair 450W CX450M Semi Modular 80 Plus Bronze
SSD Kingston A400 240gb 2,5'' Sata3
HHD Seagate 1TB Barracuda 64MB SATA 6GB/s

and also I already had a wifi card
TPLINK PCI Express Dual band AC AC1300 - Archer T6E

The problem only happends during games
I just tested the following games
GTA V
CS GO
The division 2

the system just Bricks. It shows black screen and I can't do nothing to restart the system. If I press and hold the power button, nothing happends, I also tried to press ctrl + win + shift + B to reset graphics drives but it doesn't work (I have the last recommended drives). The PC keep working but it shows black screen.

I have reinstalled windows 10 3 times and I tested it with different drives for the APU, I pulled off the wifi card and I change the SSD with other I have but it keeps doing the same.

So, I believe that you are going to recommend me to update the BIOS because the asrock web had a lot of BIOS updates
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/index.es.asp#BIOS

so I would like and advise before upgrading the BIOS,
What should I do to prevent a fail during the BIOS upgrading?

And also the asrock webpage says that I need to upgrade to 1.4 before upgrade o the last version 2.3
and other thing that I don't understand is Why the page says that I need to install the VGA driver before upgrading the BIOS?

Thanks.
Leonardo.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You do Need to Update the GPU driver first as clearly stated on that support page because the GPU is built into your APU.
After you do that I would follow the directions listed for updating the BIOS via Instant Flash:
https://asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.es.asp?cat=BIOS10

I personally would also read through the Asrock Support forums and Make sure those newest BIOS versions are stable and people aren't reporting issues with them like they are for my MB.

kanewolf

Titan
What should I do to prevent a fail during the BIOS upgrading?

And also the asrock webpage says that I need to upgrade to 1.4 before upgrade o the last version 2.3
and other thing that I don't understand is Why the page says that I need to install the VGA driver before upgrading the BIOS?
To prevent failure when upgrading the BIOS, have a stable AC mains. Use the online-update in the BIOS if possible. If not possible to use the online update, use the USB flash from the BIOS screens.
Because of the muti-step updates required, you may HAVE to use the USB install method.

The VGA driver is necessary because if you don't have it, you will lose your display when you boot into windows.

Reactions: DMAN999
May 23, 2019
You do Need to Update the GPU driver first as clearly stated on that support page because the GPU is built into your APU.
After you do that I would follow the directions listed for updating the BIOS via Instant Flash:
https://asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.es.asp?cat=BIOS10

I personally would also read through the Asrock Support forums and Make sure those newest BIOS versions are stable and people aren't reporting issues with them like they are for my MB.
Thanks for reply, I will follow that instructions.
I can not find information about this mobo so i don't know if the lastest versions of the BIOS is stable

May 23, 2019
To prevent failure when upgrading the BIOS, have a stable AC mains. Use the online-update in the BIOS if possible. If not possible to use the online update, use the USB flash from the BIOS screens.
Because of the muti-step updates required, you may HAVE to use the USB install method.

The VGA driver is necessary because if you don't have it, you will lose your display when you boot into windows.
thanks,

silly question, if I would like to reinstall windows in the future, will I be able to boot into windows? because It won't have the VGA drives installed until windows initialize for the first time

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
^ It should still boot into Windows But it will use a generic VGA driver to do that.

PS
Personally I would update to version 1.4 (with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and see how that works for you before updating to any of the newer versions.
With BIOS updates (just like software) newer does NOT always mean better.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
^ It should still boot into Windows But it will use a generic VGA driver to do that.

PS
Personally I would update to version 1.4 (with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and see how that works for you before updating to any of the newer versions.
With BIOS updates (just like software) newer does NOT always mean better.

Hi!, thanks for reply, I've updated mi BIOS to 1.4 version and the problems have gone, now I can run my RAM to 2666MHz without problems but there is a new problem.

Because of the graphics drivers requirement to boot into windows after update the BIOS, you can not boot ANYMORE with generics graphics drivers, so you can not format your system ANYMORE unless you have a dedicated grapichs card or unless you downgrade you BIOS back to 1.0 version. So becarefull with that because I tried to install windows in other HDD to test it, but after the first restart windows can not finish the installation, it stays loaded with the asrock logo

I can not found a way to reinstall windows without a dedicated graphics card or a BIOS downgrade.

Well, a couple things from being a 6 years user of an AMD APU: they are EXTREMELY sensitive to RAM timings, to the point where if the RAM is not timed or clocked correctly, the system will implode, like you've experienced. The other is the APUs are hungry little buggers, so make sure you're not letting it OC itself too much with your PSU (mine is 100W A8-3850 Llano that uses a 550W Earthwatts from a 250W SFF which barely kept it going underclocked).

With those tidbits out of the way, your last post does not make sense at all. Windows will be able to boot as long as there's a generic GPU diver to be found, no matter where the GPU is actually located (integrated, discrete or even external). If the system is refusing to start, it's because of one of the 2 previous things I mentioned.

Go into the BIOS (keep in mind it resets everything) and make sure the settings are correct for you APU and other misc configs (such as boot drives and drive settings -> ACHI for SSDs, or RAID if you have one, etc).

Cheers!

Reactions: DMAN999
May 23, 2019
Well, a couple things from being a 6 years user of an AMD APU: they are EXTREMELY sensitive to RAM timings, to the point where if the RAM is not timed or clocked correctly, the system will implode, like you've experienced. The other is the APUs are hungry little buggers, so make sure you're not letting it OC itself too much with your PSU (mine is 100W A8-3850 Llano that uses a 550W Earthwatts from a 250W SFF which barely kept it going underclocked).

With those tidbits out of the way, your last post does not make sense at all. Windows will be able to boot as long as there's a generic GPU diver to be found, no matter where the GPU is actually located (integrated, discrete or even external). If the system is refusing to start, it's because of one of the 2 previous things I mentioned.

Go into the BIOS (keep in mind it resets everything) and make sure the settings are correct for you APU and other misc configs (such as boot drives and drive settings -> ACHI for SSDs, or RAID if you have one, etc).

Cheers!

Ok, I will keep trying but the thing is that I had a SSD with windows install before upgrading the BIOS with only the VGA drivers intalled "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" like it says in the asrock webpage and it boots perfectly without problerms, but then I try to install windows 10 in another HDD from and USB and I can enter into the windows setup and format my HDD and start the installation of windows but after the first automatic restart the system is not able to finish the installation, it stays loaded with the asrock logo and I can not finish the windows installation.

My BIOS settings are default with 2GB allocated VRAM and the RAM with XMP profile at stock frecuency 2666MHz

Also in the asrock webpage there is a "Display recovery SOP" LINK with instructions to boot into windows if you don't have the VGA drivers installed, but I can't follow that instructions because windows is not even installed, I believe its asrock fault. IDK

Any advise?

regards!.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

it should always work with generic drivers, that is nonsense. don't believe it.

clean install will always work
Clean install Windows 10

follow those directions exactly.

May 23, 2019
it should always work with generic drivers, that is nonsense. don't believe it.
but it doesn't work I know it is strange but asrock say that in his webpage.

After updatingthe BIOS to a version withAGESA version AMD PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.5or later, Raven Ridge CPU requires AMD allin1 driver ver:18.10.20or newer to get onboard display under the OS.If you experience issues with onboard display with a Raven Ridge CPU under the OS, please use one of thefollowingtwo methodsto recover the display output.

the worst it that if you have the last BIOS update 2.3 you can not go back to 1.0 and if you don't have a dedicated graphic card you can not install windows, weird. I don't know if I am rigth... someone with more experience with that APU please help....

D

Deleted member 14196

if that is true then I would never buy asrock mobo ever again. how ridiculous. what's the point of iGPU

That is assuming you were not having any previous issues with the system. If they changed microcode that somehow changes signatures or driver interfaces with the APU, then you cannot work if certain old driver versions.

I'd grab the official drivers from the AMD page for the video instead.

Also, make sure the BIOS options are all ok, I'm still having doubts on this "I did this with the SSD and the HDD" you mentioned.

Cheers!

May 23, 2019
That is assuming you were not having any previous issues with the system. If they changed microcode that somehow changes signatures or driver interfaces with the APU, then you cannot work if certain old driver versions.

I'd grab the official drivers from the AMD page for the video instead.

Also, make sure the BIOS options are all ok, I'm still having doubts on this "I did this with the SSD and the HDD" you mentioned.

Cheers!
sorry, my english is not so good

What I mean it's that I have and SSD and I install windows 10 in it when my bios was 1.0 then I installed the VGA drivers and then I updated the BIOS to 1.4 and windows boots perfectrly

Then I had the doubts of what happends if I format my system in the future, so I change the SSD for an old HDD that I had and tried to install windows and this problem came out, but if I put the SSD windows works perfectly

thanks for your support.

I see. Well, if you run HDDs in "AHCI" mode you'll have issues. At the very least, I had some with my HDDs, specially old ones. That is why the sATA configuration has:
  • AHCI
  • IDE
  • RAID (if your Motherboard supports it)

You commonly use "IDE" for HDDs and "AHCI" for SSDs (even if SSDs can work in IDE mode with no problems).

For now, let's reduce the noise of your issues and focus on getting your computer to a stable condition, so don't use the HDD for now, please.

Cheers!

May 23, 2019
Guys I was wrong. I tried another SSD and Windows installed without problem. I believe the problem was related to what Yuka said.

So, my first problem was solve with a BIOS update, thans for your support

Cheers!