PS3 IHS removal attempt lead to YLOD

Grumpycat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
Hello,

Why I did it (you can skip it if you want!):
My brother had a PS3 Fat that overheated almost upon playing a game. Its summer but it would overheat even with the air conditioner on or in mildly hot days. I already had replaced the thermal paste once 3 years ago and 6 months ago, at those times it wouldn’t actively display the overheat message but it would get really loud.
So I though as a last resort that I would remove the IHS and apply thermal paste beneath, as nothing could be played without overheating in a matter of minutes. I do have some experience with electronics as I repair computers and fix or make my own electronics as a hobby (Arduino and stuff) so I said I’d give it a go.

What I did:
  1. I did make the typical mistake of bending the motherboard until I realize I can remove it with the metal plate underneath but, since I am not caveman I didn’t bend it more than an inch in height (could put my thumb under on the edge), since pulling harder would damage something. I don’t know if that was enough to damage anything but I later saw online it was a typical mistake, which can cost you your motherboard or detach the ICs.
  2. Tried to remove the CPU IHS by preheating the CPU with a heat station at 150C but didn’t try too hard, since I saw how hard it would be and I realized that is probably the GPU that gets strained anyway. I, again, saw online that I might have damaged the CPU so I checked, as best as I could with my magnifying glass on the 2 points that I tried to enter the glue, and thankfully I did not see copper, probably nothing was cut.
  3. Managed to gently remove the GPU IHS, by preheating it at 150C, applied thermal paste on the GPU and the chips (idk if this was smart, thought that it would be better than silicone that some guys put on youtube, I would rather if it wasn’t glued anyway, to replace the paste more easily).
  4. Put it back together YLOD with 3 beeps and red flashing lights. It’s not like I didn’t expect it.
What I tried after:
  1. I heated up the CPU and GPU (in case I managed to bend the motherboard enough to maybe detach a solder ball) with my heat station on 480C for a few seconds and gave plenty of time to cool down on room temperature. (Did not add flux)
  2. Replaced thermal paste in case that it was too much. Thermal paste is not conductive but checked anyways for spills. Went over the motherboard with the magnifying glass just in case and brushed it a bit just to be sure nothing stuck anywhere.
  3. No result so I did the above a second time.
Current state:
I still get that general YLOD , the 3 beeps and the flashing red light.

Plea:
Since I have no experience with the PS3 it could be so much that skip my mind, literally any advice or even talk on the matter about your previous experiences might trigger a solution. If anyone read that much, thank you, I really appreciate it.

Grumpycat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
Flux is needed to re ball, if not then only way would be to re do the balls.
Also which model of ps3?

After closer inspection in a day that I had enough sleep, I saw some copper in the CPU, seems a layer deep. That was it for this PS3, unless I find a donor board and the skills to reball and replace a CPU. Seems a better option to buy a used Slim. Thanks for the reply and you are correct about the flux. Model was CECH-K04.

Grumpycat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
As I know from my personal disaster the cech 04 uses underneath the ihs components which can be damaged by prying out the ihs which ive learned hard way.
ps3 cech04 models are now like 30-40€ if im not mistaken.

I guess that makes two of us. I even managed to damage the CPU and not lift the IHS. I don't know what they use but the CPU was preheated and it didn't even budge with a non sharp tool. That's why I went with a sharp one and damage it in the process, by which it didn't budge either.
Yeah they are pretty cheap, I even found a slim for 50€, it's just that I hate wasting electronics.
Thanks for the emotional support, I do feel bad when I mess things up like that! :D

Reactions: RememberThe5th