[SOLVED] PSU popped on power-up, please help

May 17, 2021
My power supply Corsair CX750 (grey) , immediately popped when I pressed the power button. It is now dead and with a paperclip test, the PSU fan doesn’t start.

How it happened was I was playing valorant with my friends and I accidentally stepped on my surge protector’s power switch (I’m going to move it now). After stepping on it, my pc of course turned off and I didn’t really think of it and turned my surge protector back on, and hit the power button on my pc case. Then I heard the pop.

My questions are:

•Are my other damaged or is the only way of telling is getting a new psu?

•What could’ve caused the capacitor in it to pop?

i’ve already emailed corsair about the RMA but I doubt it will happen since I don’t have the receipt nor the original box since I bought it so long ago. I’ll probably have to just buy a new power supply. I’ve already removed the PSU from the case and am ready to either ship it out for RMA or to just buy a new different power supply.

my parts:
GTX 1080 Ti
i5-8400
Trident Z 16gb 8x2
CX750

Solution
Are my other damaged or is the only way of telling is getting a new psu?
The only way to find out is to get a new PSU and retest.

What could’ve caused the capacitor in it to pop?
Various things, sounds like it quite literally could have just been a surge.

i’ve already emailed corsair about the RMA but I doubt it will happen since I don’t have the receipt nor the original box since I bought it so long ago.
My experience of Corsair RMA is they can be quite understanding and are quite good. I've never needed receipt but I have always had the box to hand.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are my other damaged or is the only way of telling is getting a new psu?

What could’ve caused the capacitor in it to pop?

i’ve already emailed corsair about the RMA but I doubt it will happen since I don’t have the receipt nor the original box since I bought it so long ago.
My experience of Corsair RMA is they can be quite understanding and are quite good. I've never needed receipt but I have always had the box to hand.

Reactions: FuegoDude
Solution
May 17, 2021

Thanks for the info, I really hope that my other parts aren’t affected and I seriously hope that the CX750 has good protection and shut off before damaging my other parts. I don’t have warranties for anything else but the motherboard.

The paperclip test is useful only to confirm a dead psu.
Yours is dead.
When you tested, was the psu plugged into the wall directly?
Is it possible that your problem is the surge protector itself?
Often a POP sound is coming from the speakers and not the psu.

Replace the unit with a high quality psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a good seasonic unit with a 10 year warranty.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187?quicklink=true

If you can successfully get a RMA for the corsair unit, either keep it as a spare, or sell it unopened on ebay.

May 17, 2021
The paperclip test is useful only to confirm a dead psu.
Yours is dead.
When you tested, was the psu plugged into the wall directly?
Is it possible that your problem is the surge protector itself?
Often a POP sound is coming from the speakers and not the psu.

Replace the unit with a high quality psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a good seasonic unit with a 10 year warranty.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187?quicklink=true

If you can successfully get a RMA for the corsair unit, either keep it as a spare, or sell it unopened on ebay.
Thanks for replying!
When I paperclip tested, it was plugged into the surge protector but everything else plugged into the surge protector is working fine.
I think the pop was from the PSU because I don’t have speakers.
If I do RMA it successfully, which I doubt, I’ll probably just keep it as a spare.

Thanks for replying!
When I paperclip tested, it was plugged into the surge protector but everything else plugged into the surge protector is working fine.
I think the pop was from the PSU because I don’t have speakers.
If I do RMA it successfully, which I doubt, I’ll probably just keep it as a spare.
Some motherboards come with internal speakers.
To be certain, plug the psu into the wall to test.
Possibly only the outlet you used on the surge protector failed.

May 17, 2021
Update guys: turns out it was not my power supply that popped, but instead my power cord. I fixed it by using a different power cord and it worked! Good thing I tested my PSU with a new power cord or else I would've bought a new power supply. Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm really happy that it wasn't my power supply and all my parts are working fine. My cord must've overheated and burst open from the heat. Get good quality thick cords lol.

Reactions: helper800