Dec 26, 2013
SPECS:
5900X
ASUS B550-F Gaming (Wi-fi)
32GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3600mhz CL18
RTX 2080 Super
Seasonic GX-650W Modular PSU
240GB SDD (Windows10 Pro Drive) & 1TB Samsung 980 NVME

So to begin with my PC just started randomly restarting with no BSOD, nothing in Event Viewer besides "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly". My system is overall new (January 2022) with the only reused parts being my PSU and GPU from April of 2020. I don't typically see people have issues with Seasonic but I'm unsure what all I can test. I tried running Cinebench R22 and Furmark at the same time (CPU+GPU drawing total of 360w) for a few hours with no issues. The power didn't go out at my house and the monitor is plugged into the same surge protector as my PC and the monitors didn't turn off. It was as if I clicked the "Restart" button on the PC case, Just immediate black screen, PC turns off, back on, and boots up fine. Is it possible for a PSU to even fail when using little power compared to a full load?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, a PSUs could fail even when the load is very low.
The issue you described could also happens with a failing motherboard or even a faulty power button on the case.

To rule out the PSU, you might have to test your system with another working unit.
The issue you described could also happens with a failing motherboard or even a faulty power button on the case.

To rule out the PSU, you might have to test your system with another working unit.

Solution

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013

Do those cheaper PSU testers work well? I don't have or know anyone in my area with a PSU that I could borrow and test with. Luckily all the parts that you mentioned (motherboard and PSU) are still covered by warranty completely. I don't believe it's the case unless it's the restart switch that's doing it. If the power button was held down I think (because when you expand the details it says PowerButtonHeldDown=false) it would say something different in the Event Viewer, but I could try just unplugging the front panel connectors and booting the computer up via jumping the power pins.

Last edited:

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
No, they do not. They might detect if the PSU is not delivering specific voltages, but there is more to it.

Yes, that could rule out the power button.
What's the PC case model?
It is the Corsair 4000D
Have you tried without the surge protector? PSU directly into AC mains outlet?
And I've unplugged it from the surge protector and is now directly from the socket. Just waiting to see if anything happens again.

Jlg823 While you're waiting for the result, I recommend that you register your power supply and create a SeaSonic account ASAP. That way you're prepared to navigate the RMA process as efficiently as possible. Once approved, I recommend that you inquire if they have an "advanced RMA" so that you would receive the replacement PSU before sending back the damaged one. This would require you leaving a credit card on file with them, as collateral.

https://seasonic.com/product-registration-landing

<click> blue background link "Register Your SeaSonic PSU".

Last edited:

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Jlg823 While you're waiting for the result, I recommend that you register your power supply and create a SeaSonic account ASAP. That way you're prepared to navigate the RMA process as efficiently as possible. Once approved, I recommend that you inquire if they have an "advanced RMA" so that you would receive the replacement PSU before sending back the damaged one. This would require you leaving a credit card on file with them, as collateral.

https://seasonic.com/product-registration-landing

<click> blue background link "Register Your SeaSonic PSU".
Have you tried without the surge protector? PSU directly into AC mains outlet?
No, they do not. They might detect if the PSU is not delivering specific voltages, but there is more to it.

Yes, that could rule out the power button.
What's the PC case model?
This time I've had a crash that did result in a Minidump being created. I was in the middle of EscapeFromTarkov when this happened https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ik574cNYTC7aJRemMtEiPkEHoArR3WzP/view?usp=sharing