[SOLVED] Q: startling problem with system booting - sometimes it works (posts), sometimes it doesn't (code AE).

Oct 8, 2021
Dear community,

When I turn on my pc normally, I can get into windows and everything works fine. The problem shows, when I do windows updates and need to re-boot the system or when I go into BIOS and then try to re-boot the system (save and exit or just exit). What happens then is that the system doesn't post. All I get is a black screen with a monitor that tries to get a signal and falls asleep and wakes up etc., when I give any input. The mainboard gives me usually a AE code in those cases and nothing happens. So I need to turn off the PC by keeping the power button pressed. When I then press the power button again, it works and starts normally.

I had this problem from the start, when I've first built the PC (I tried with and without ram and all that). And checking in on BIOS from time to time showed me that my drive with the windows installation sometimes is found and sometimes it isn't, In order to get it to work in the first place, I had to deactivate and reactivate some setting in BIOS that helps identifying boot devices or whatever (it probably was the CSM support). Only then did it find the boot device for the first time. And since then it kind of worked.

my system:
CASE: - Phanteks Eclipse P500A
PSU: - BE QUIET! Dark Power Pro 11, 850 Watt (BN253)
MAINBOARD: - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER (had to flash the firmware because CPU "drivers" weren't installed)
CPU: - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MEMORY: - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo, 32GB
COOLING: - Arctic Freezer ii 360
STORAGE: - SAMSUNG 980 Pro Series SSD M.2 500GB (for windows installation) and SSD 870 QVO, 2TB
GPU: - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3
MONITOR: - Samsung LC27 G75 TQSUXEN
MOUSE: - ROCCAT KONE Pure Ultra
KEYBOARD: Lenovo Legion K500

Windows 10 64bit Pro

I assume that there is a conflict between the mainboard and the SAMSUNG 980 Pro Series SSD M.2. Somehow it doesn't seem to find a place to boot from under certain circumstances.
I did update drivers for most components a while ago, but that didn't seem to fix anything. Maybe I need to do certain BIOS magic? What do you guys and gals think I should and could try?

Another problem I'm having is that sometimes my monitor goes black and comes back right away showing me "display port 1" (what it's connected to). I'm not certain, if this is connected. It doesn't happen often, but it happens sometimes. I would assume my PSU has enough power and everything is plugged in correctly. So this baffles me a bit as well.

I'm not an expert in this and would appreciate your support. Thank you!

[EDIT I] Thank you for the warm welcome, Lutfij
I'll try to update the requested info below:

Windows 10 64bit Pro and - Version 21H1 - Build 19043.1266
But I doubt that the windows version is relevant, as at first I didn't discover the drive and therefore wasn't able to install the OS on it.

BIOS version - F33 update was end of May 2021. 8AMTS002. I just tried to update to BIOS F35d, but failed. Gigabyte had me download the APP Center AND a bios updater. it told me to update the updater and then it sadly failed to initialize. I'll need to get a formatted fat32 usb stick to update it, i suppose.

Harddrive Slot: It's in one of the three NVME M. 2 slots. I would need to unscrew them to check. It's possible that this might be causing the issue.

2 x 16 GB Ram Kit. It should be these here:
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562839473/F4-3600C16D-32GTZN-Overview

I didn't specifically run the driver installation as admin. But I gave permission to the installer to make changes on the system.

So I've played around with the BIOS a bit. If I disable the CSM support, I can't find any harddrive to boot from. If I reactivate it, the PC always puts the SATA in Port 2 before the NVMe M.2 in the boot order.
By the way, my PC tells me that it can't update to windows 11 because the booting is not on UEFI. But in the BIOS it IS on UEFI and not Legacy. But maybe the CSM support is in priority before UEFI? I wouldn't know how to change that. Oh and no, I don't intend to update to windows 11. I just found this might be another hint for my problem.
Here is a thread that might be related to my issues: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-cant-boot-without-csm-enabled.3525276/

[EDIT II]
I've updated my Samsung harddisks with the magician software to the newest firmware. Thank you for the tip. Maybe this is going to help.

I've now updated the BIOS to the current version F35d. I would like to remind everyone to check, if XMP is still enabled. For me it wasn't after the BIOS update anymore and I had to do that again to profit from my higher ram speed.

I've installed the LAN, audio and so on mainboard driver updates as well (although not elevated).

Sadly neither of those things seems to have solved my issue. After saving and exiting the BIOS, the system didn't boot and I had to force a power off and on to get to windows again.

Last edited:
Solution
Maybe a real longshot, and perhaps a stupid suggestion, but try unplugging your system, popping out your cmos battery, wait for power to drain, reset Cmos and place a NEW battery in. In certain cases I have heard/seen a bad battery cause all kinds of mysterious issues so maybe worth a try.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Windows 10 is the OS, Pro is the edition and 64 bit is the architecture. What version of Windows 10 are you on? For the sake of relevance, can you mention the BIOS version for your motherboard? Which slot is the Samsung 980 Pro populating on the motherboard? 2x16GB dual channel ram kit or 4x4GB ram kit? Link to ram kit?

Were all relevant drivers for the platform manually installed in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? USe Samsung's Magician app to see if the SSD(s) have firmware updates pending.

g-unit1111

Titan
What do you need to constantly go into the BIOS for? Are you doing a lot of overclocking?

Usually if you make any kind of significant changes to things like the CPU multiplier or RAM speeds (like enable XMP) then it will take a couple of restarts before your PC acts like normal.

But unless you're doing a lot of overclocking then there really isn't any need to enter the BIOS frequently.

Oct 8, 2021
What do you need to constantly go into the BIOS for? Are you doing a lot of overclocking?

Usually if you make any kind of significant changes to things like the CPU multiplier or RAM speeds (like enable XMP) then it will take a couple of restarts before your PC acts like normal.

But unless you're doing a lot of overclocking then there really isn't any need to enter the BIOS frequently.

I don't do overclocking. I personally don't see the point in risking the lifetime of my components and system stability for more power that I don't need. I go to BIOS because I have boot problems and to my limited knowledge that's a good place to try and resolve related issues. With all due respect, I would appreciate some suggestions rather than just questioning my methods.
[EDIT I] And like I wrote before, this problem also happens with windows updates for example or anything that requires a restart after an installation. It's not just, when I go to BIOS. So I'm very concerned that this might cause some trouble in the future, even though it's not a terrible issue right now.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Windows 10 is the OS, Pro is the edition and 64 bit is the architecture. What version of Windows 10 are you on? For the sake of relevance, can you mention the BIOS version for your motherboard? Which slot is the Samsung 980 Pro populating on the motherboard? 2x16GB dual channel ram kit or 4x4GB ram kit? Link to ram kit?

Were all relevant drivers for the platform manually installed in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? USe Samsung's Magician app to see if the SSD(s) have firmware updates pending.

Okay, I did everything that you suggested, except checking in which port the NVMe storage is in and I didn't install the drivers with an elevated command.

Maybe a real longshot, and perhaps a stupid suggestion, but try unplugging your system, popping out your cmos battery, wait for power to drain, reset Cmos and place a NEW battery in. In certain cases I have heard/seen a bad battery cause all kinds of mysterious issues so maybe worth a try.

Solution
Oct 8, 2021

Thank you, I'll try that, when I get the opportunity to purchase one such battery. It's not a bad idea and shouln't cause any harm at least.