Mar 17, 2020
Hello!

This is my first time posting in this forum but I am a long time lurker here already. I would just like to seek help in configuring my router's QoS for gaming. I am not familiar with most of the items needed.. All I need is to lessen delays/lags when gaming.. I usually game on my phone. This is my router's configuration:

Match Condition
Directioninbound/outbound
InterfaceSSID1
VLAN(1-4094)
Protocol No.(0-255)
Destination MACSelect
Source MACSelect.
Destination IP Address/Mask / Select.
Source IP Address/Mask / Select.
Destination Port Range -- Select...
Source Port Range --
Remark
DSCP Re-marked(0~63)
802.1p Re-marked(0~7)
Class Policing
Class Policing Index
Queue Config
Queue 01234567

Thank you in advance!

Solution
There is no QoS for the Wifi itself. The wifi should be faster than internet so you hope the problem is with the internet. If the devices are interfering with each other on the wifi there is nothing you can do to fix that.
It really only affect game traffic netflix and other apps tolerate wifi issues very well. Again this is why they say to not play games on wifi it is a fundamental issue with games that can not really be fixed.

There are 2 steps to try to mediate actual internet over utilization. The only real fix is to buy more bandwidth.

First you must get some policy that all the users agree on to which traffic is most important and how much each user can have. This is not some router configuration it is a...
You really should not play games on wifi connection where delay and lag can cause issues. Most problems are due to interference in the wifi and QoS can not fix that.

So how much internet bandwidth do you purchase from the ISP. Do you feel there are other users in your house using all this bandwidth while you are playing your game.

QoS only function is to determine which traffic is more important to send first. If you are not using all your bandwidth all traffic will be not be queued and immediately sent. There is no choice to make on which is more important since it all can be sent.

There likely is another screen on the QoS. This is a very very basic QoS setting. At most it can put things in different queues but that does not mean much if you do now know what the numbers actually do. The vast majority of stuff on the screen is pure garbage and will have no effect. Things like DSCP do nothing in a home router connected to the internet.

Mar 17, 2020
You really should not play games on wifi connection where delay and lag can cause issues. Most problems are due to interference in the wifi and QoS can not fix that.

So how much internet bandwidth do you purchase from the ISP. Do you feel there are other users in your house using all this bandwidth while you are playing your game.

QoS only function is to determine which traffic is more important to send first. If you are not using all your bandwidth all traffic will be not be queued and immediately sent. There is no choice to make on which is more important since it all can be sent.

There likely is another screen on the QoS. This is a very very basic QoS setting. At most it can put things in different queues but that does not mean much if you do now know what the numbers actually do. The vast majority of stuff on the screen is pure garbage and will have no effect. Things like DSCP do nothing in a home router connected to the internet.

Thank you for your reply! I'm currently on Fibre 40Mbps down, 10Mbps up. Yes, I know that using wifi is not good when playing games. There are other 4 users using the wifi and 2 of them usually use it for Netflix. Also, I notice that lags happen when 1 user displays Netflix in our Chromecast. My router also doesn't have bandwidth limiter so based on my observation, when one user uploads something in the internet, it uses all the up speed resulting to a lag in my game Is there another way to prevent this from happening?

There is no QoS for the Wifi itself. The wifi should be faster than internet so you hope the problem is with the internet. If the devices are interfering with each other on the wifi there is nothing you can do to fix that.
It really only affect game traffic netflix and other apps tolerate wifi issues very well. Again this is why they say to not play games on wifi it is a fundamental issue with games that can not really be fixed.

There are 2 steps to try to mediate actual internet over utilization. The only real fix is to buy more bandwidth.

First you must get some policy that all the users agree on to which traffic is most important and how much each user can have. This is not some router configuration it is a agreement between people. Someone is not going to get the bandwidth they want. The netflix users may have to not watch netflix during certain times of day or they may have to watch a lower quality levels. There needs to be clear set rules on how much someone can download and upload.

Next you need to implement this in the router. Since your router has very simplistic QoS you need to replace it or put another router in front of it. The details of how you implement QoS depend on the router.

A lot of stuff can be accomplished by setting upload and download rates in the end clients and setting resolution levels. Games are actually very greedy in what they want. They need very little bandwidth but they want it constantly with no deviations.

Solution