Question Question - Failing monitor?

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hello all,

I would like to ask about my monitor, it's a Samsung monitor (which have DVI and D-Sub outputs, info later why i am describing this). It is exactly this model : Samsung LS22C300BS/EN and it was bought factory new from store and it's more than 5 years old. (It was bought in April 2014).

My rig is :

i5 8600k, 4.5GHz @ 1.2v, delided.
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming K3
Seasonic M12II-620 EVO (SS-620GM2 F3) Bronze
MSI GTX 1660 Ti, Gaming X
2x 8GB RAM, DDR4 , 3000MHz, Corsair Vengeance, XMP (1.35v)

And everything works flawlessly, until now. When i upgraded my GPU ( I am forced to use DVI -> HDMI adapter to being able use my monitor ). The problem is, after upgrading of GPU there is a problem, when i start PC (cold boot) and i turn monitor ON, the monitor shows - check signal cable. However, when i turn monitor off and again turn on, it starts working so far flawlessly till next day.

So my question is, could be a adapter (DVI -> HDMI bad or something? but it's also new, i bought it with GPU, because i know i dont have Display Port or HDMI on my monitor actually). Or it could be a monitor problem? Hopefully it's not a GPU problem.

Thanks for your opinions.

Best regards,

Arm0r!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Seems like a minor issue that you can just deal with. I wouldn't spend anything on new cables to try and solve it.

You'll probably want to upgrade the monitor at some point, so put your money towards that. You have a very good system otherwise.

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Seems like a minor issue that you can just deal with. I wouldn't spend anything on new cables to try and solve it.

You'll probably want to upgrade the monitor at some point, so put your money towards that. You have a very good system otherwise.

Thanks for reply. That's true, this is not a big issue. It's just a strange when this occurs with new gpu. But yeah, i am looking forward to replace my monitor as soon as possible. It's pretty old and colours are not so vibrant and even white is not so much white after that time. I am using it 16h, sometimes 12, but i think it his time. Preferably again ( maybe, still not sure if TFT / TN or IPS Panel) because i am not a kind fan of ghosting and i am really bad in choosing of monitor.... I am not saying i need 144hz 1ms monitor, but really want some "fast one".

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They are finally dropping support for legacy interfaces. Not going to get better. So the faster you are on display port the better. Not to mention finally getting those bulky DVI ports off the backs of GPUs.

Well, there are some pretty nice TN gaming monitors. They still lack good color and viewing angles. And if you don't like ghosting and don't care about G-sync or FreeSync then you can get a monitor with anti ghosting technology:

• Motion Blur Reduction
  • LightBoost (by NVIDIA)
  • ULMB – Ultra Low Motion Blur (by NVIDIA)
  • DyAc – Dynamic Accuracy (by BenQ ZOWIE)
  • ELMB – Extreme Low Motion Blur (by ASUS)
  • VRB – Visual Response Boost (by Acer)
  • Clear Motion – (by ViewSonic)
  • Aim Stabilizer – (by AORUS / Gigabyte Technology)
  • MotionFlow Impulse (by Sony)
  • 1ms MPRT (by LG) — up to 16x clearer motion than “1ms GtG“!

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Well. It is obvious, technology going to be better and older will be discontinued with support. Thanks for listing that technologies. View Angle is not thing which i need. I am using it only from close range, so i am not watching something from side or from far to watch a movie or so. G-Sync and FreeSync is also irrelevant for me. Personally i am fan of Samsung / LG and Iiyama is not bad (daddy got one and it looks great, it's also gaming monitor).

Probably even todays TN / TFT panels would have better colours than mine what i have actually. What you think? I am on budget with monitor, but could a send my few tips, if you could help me to choose one...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Budget comes first I am afraid. There are monitor options from $100, where you are at now, to $1300.

1440p is within that GPUs capabilities, but high refresh 1080p is probably more suitable. That would solidly put you in the TN panel area as well.

Just take a look at 144hz 1080p panels with 1ms response times.

Dell is surprisingly cheap today:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Hc48d/dell-s2419hgf-240-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-s2419hgf

I'd probably go with this though:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gGfhP6/asus-mg248qr-240-1920x1080-144hz-monitor-mg248qr

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think the Dell has the motion blur technology, though it might. Would have to look at the feature list and translate it from marketing gibberish. Pretty sure the ASUS has it though, certainly something to look into.

I also like the stand from ASUS, very versatile and is most of the cost difference. A lot of LCDs have only tilt and I never recommend those, particularly with TN, since tall people would always have an issue unless they put it on top of books or something. Dealt with that for years myself and when I started to get older would have blurred vision from looking down at a monitor. Simply getting a new monitor with a stand and that symptom practically went away.

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Maybe could be better a option with ASUS monitor, but it's also more expensive. For my work even that Dell will be much way better than mine samsung now. Many thanks for your opinions and recommendations.