Question RAM issue after replacing CPU

Sep 9, 2022
Hello, after replacing the CPU I couldn't even get into the BIOS. So I removed one RAM and everything worked. It looks like this:
1 RAM-1st slot= works
1 RAM-2nd slot= not working.
2 RAM - both slots = not working.
I got kit of two hyperx fury 3200 mHz and both of them work in the first slot.
Gotta mention that before I replaced my CPU, everything worked just fine. I even tried puting the old CPU back and it still doesnt work anymore.
Also tried putting one RAM, enabling DOCP and then putting the second, no change. Reseting BIOS, but it also didnt work.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list a before and after of your specs. List your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on? Prior to the CPU upgrade and after the CPU upgrade?

Sep 9, 2022
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (Ryzen 3 1200 before)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450 M-K
Ram: HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3200mHz CL16
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX1060 G1 gaming 3GB
PSU: BeQuiet Systempower9 600W
Chassis:SilentiumPC Signum SG1 TG
BIOS ver. 3802 ( 3802 berfore)

perrynick000

Reputable
Sep 1, 2018
I personally never had a board with only 2 ram slots but have had this problem on different occasions with different solutions, comb the bios settings and see if there is a setting for single channel or dual channel mode.

Sep 9, 2022
I personally never had a board with only 2 ram slots but have had this problem on different occasions with different solutions, comb the bios settings and see if there is a setting for single channel or dual channel mode.
I´ve searched thru everything and didn´t find a single thing about that.

Sep 9, 2022
Is the replacement CPU - new or used?
Check if it has no bent/broken pins.

Try increasing DRAM voltage to 1.35V.
The replacement CPU is used for like a year and worked just fine until now.
No pins bent or damaged or anything. Also tried reseating everything, even the CPU. Didn´t work.
Also tried rising the voltage to 1,35V. No change unfortunately

Sep 9, 2022
other board I had that gave me this problem had no such settings I had to reprogram the bios from scratch to get my other dims to come back on
[/QUOTE
Either motherboard suddenly failed or you are over tightening the CPU cooler.
I also tried tightening and loosening the cooler, also didn´t work. It´s all weird, cuz when I replaced the CPU, all I did was- Reset bios, replace CPU. Didn´t touch anything else.

There is no such thing in BIOS settings. Never was.
Availability of dual channel mode depends solely on installed ram configuration.
when dual channel was a new feature, you could configure it as 1x128bit (unganged) or 2x64bit (ganged)
unganged was prefered back than as it boosted single threaded applications
today systems are ganged 2x64bit, ddr5 dual channel is 4x32bit btw

Last edited: