Question Random Mouse Freezing Issue - Perhaps caused by motherboard/PSU? Advice needed!

Aug 2, 2019
Problem: Very intermittent mouse freezing/stuttering. By intermittent I mean completely random. Can pause once in an hour, or perhaps 10 times in a minute. Freezing usually lasts about 1-2 seconds, in very rare cases the mouse disconnects and I get the disconnect sound. When the mouse kicks back into life, it remembers my movements and catches up. i.e. it plays back the mouse movements that were recorded when paused, just very quickly. (Mouse is optical, wired.)

Troubleshoot'd:
  • It's not the mouse because I've tried the mouse on another PC and it works, also other mice on this computer do the same thing.
  • It's not USB ports. It does it with every port to differing degrees. Other USB devices aren't affected. Keyboard doesn't stop typing, microphone doesn't stop recording. It even did it when plugged into a PCI USB 3.0 expansion port, not directly into the board.
  • Highly doubt it's Windows 10 as it the same freezing happened when booting from a Windows USB install drive and even in BIOS, which leads me to think hardware.
  • Switched SATA ports in case it was a problem with the OS on the SSD.
  • Many other things.

Other Points:
- This has happened on and off for a long time now. It would go on for a week then stop, and I shrugged it off. It once got really bad but I went away for a week, came back and it no longer happened. It's been perhaps two months since the last time it happened, this time its really quite bad hence the thread.
  • Only recurring thing I've noticed is it can quite often happen when changing focus or changing windows.
  • Often doesn't happen until a few hours after start up in the morning. Restarts don't fix it. Makes me wonder if heat or power related.
  • Only thing I can think to further troubleshoot is trying the PS2 port or a different mobo/PSU, but that's difficult obviously.

All in all, I think it must be hardware? Perhaps motherboard or maybe PSU? Strange that it only affects an optical device though... Also strange that it's at random, and can happen over a period of time. Build up of static? Memory related? Or perhaps just faulty motherboard.

Any advice welcome!

Aug 2, 2019
stick with 1 thread
Problem: Very intermittent mouse freezing/stuttering. By intermittent I mean completely random. Can pause once in an hour, or perhaps 10 times in a minute. Freezing usually lasts about 1-2 seconds, in very rare cases the mouse disconnects and I get the disconnect sound. When the mouse kicks back into life, it remembers my movements and catches up. i.e. it plays back the mouse movements that were recorded when paused, just very quickly. (Mouse is optical, wired.)

Troubleshoot'd:
  • It's not the mouse because I've tried the mouse on another PC and it works, also other mice on this computer do the same thing.
  • It's not USB ports. It does it with every port to differing degrees. Other USB devices aren't affected. Keyboard doesn't stop typing, microphone doesn't stop recording. It even did it when plugged into a PCI USB 3.0 expansion port, not directly into the board.
  • Highly doubt it's Windows 10 as it the same freezing happened when booting from a Windows USB install drive and even in BIOS, which leads me to think hardware.
  • Many other things.

Other Points:
- This has happened on and off for a long time now. It would go on for a week then stop, and I shrugged it off. It once got really bad but I went away for a week, came back and it no longer happened. It's been perhaps two months since the last time it happened, this time its really quite bad hence the thread.
  • Only recurring thing I've noticed is it can quite often happen when changing focus or changing windows.
  • Often doesn't happen until a few hours after start up in the morning. Restarts don't fix it. Makes me wonder if heat or power related.
  • Only thing I can think to further troubleshoot is trying the PS2 port or a different mobo/PSU, but that's difficult obviously.

All in all, I think it must be hardware? Perhaps motherboard or maybe PSU? Strange that it only affects an optical device though... Also strange that it's at random, and can happen over a period of time. Build up of static? Memory related? Or perhaps just faulty motherboard.

Any advice welcome!

Aug 2, 2019
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
PSU: Corsair CXM 750W
GPU: GTX 1070
SSD: 240GB Sandisk
CPU: i7 4790
4x4GB DDR3 RAM Corsair

Fairly sure I'm well within my limits with the PSU, not that it would make sense considering it only affects the mouse.

Temps are all very reasonable. CPU resting at 35, GPU at 37. Doesn't change under load or higher temps.

Troubleshoot'd:
  • Many other things.
Other Points:

Any advice welcome!

I would suggest it's losing tracking and to blow into the optical sensor and/of get a new mousepad. However you said you get disconnect warnings. This is more an indication of a short.

It could also be a lack of power causing the mouse to reset. Is it possible all your USB ports are restricted to low power? (<=.1 amp) or maybe the +5V line is dropping to < 4.4V (Minimum voltage allowed by USB spec)

Aug 2, 2019
I would suggest it's losing tracking and to blow into the optical sensor and/of get a new mousepad. However you said you get disconnect warnings. This is more an indication of a short.

It could also be a lack of power causing the mouse to reset. Is it possible all your USB ports are restricted to low power? (<=.1 amp) or maybe the +5V line is dropping to < 4.4V (Minimum voltage allowed by USB spec)

Pretty sure the mouse is fine.

I'll look into the voltage thing. Strange that it only affects the mouse though, and still happened when plugged into a PCI USB expansion. Also, surely if it's losing power it wouldn't remember my movements while frozen, which it does.

Aug 3, 2019
I was driven mad by this! If your issue ( which sounds like it ) is like mine. Setting the polling rate on the mouse to something in the neighborhood of 500 will fix the problem. I have a sb2 15 and logitech pro wireless mouse which is set to default polling of 1000 per second... I can reliably reproduce the mouse lag/freeze by raising it back to 1000 per.

Hope this helps!

-jason

Aug 2, 2019
I was driven mad by this! If your issue ( which sounds like it ) is like mine. Setting the polling rate on the mouse to something in the neighborhood of 500 will fix the problem. I have a sb2 15 and logitech pro wireless mouse which is set to default polling of 1000 per second... I can reliably reproduce the mouse lag/freeze by raising it back to 1000 per.

Hope this helps!

-jason

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure it's this though because the issue happens regardless of the mouse that's plugged in.