[SOLVED] Raspberry Pi TV Project (Advice needed)

Oct 27, 2020
Hi fellow members!

I am looking for some advice from some people who have knowledge with Raspberry Pi, unlike me who are indeed very noob-ish in this.

I have an older Raspberry Pi (I think it was the first version, but I am honestly not sure!)
Picture 1:
3yNjZZB.jpg

Picture 2:
2.jpg

Now, what I am trying to do in short:

1. I want it to be able to go to a TV / Movie website (ViaPlay), and from there be connected to my Internet and HDMI (to the TV).
My concerns is, that if it is going to be "laggy" since it is from a Raspberry Pi and not a normal computer with same "strengths".

Would this be possible?

2. If this is possible, which way would you approach with this?

- - > What OS do I need to install for the best performance (It simply needs to be able to open a website, and play/stream videos 'I guess those streaming sites use Flashplayer or something similar) ?

I am very noobish when it comes to this, so please - any help is extremely appreciated!

Thanks a lot friends ! :)

Solution
So, each generation and model of a Pi have various abilities/strengths as it were. I have not ever noted any of them being particularly adept at video playback unless you are willing to be at a low(er) resolution (you didn't say what your target is) and they don't hit high frame rates.

There is a fellow on YouTube called Explaining Computers, a Brit, who does a lot of video about SBC's. I would take a moment to do a lookup and comparison on your board there so you know how to properly identify it, and then use his video catalog in order to see what you should expect from it as far as real world performance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, each generation and model of a Pi have various abilities/strengths as it were. I have not ever noted any of them being particularly adept at video playback unless you are willing to be at a low(er) resolution (you didn't say what your target is) and they don't hit high frame rates.

There is a fellow on YouTube called Explaining Computers, a Brit, who does a lot of video about SBC's. I would take a moment to do a lookup and comparison on your board there so you know how to properly identify it, and then use his video catalog in order to see what you should expect from it as far as real world performance.

Reactions: asgerappel
Solution
Oct 27, 2020

Hey, thanks for your reply!
Well my target is to use the Raspberry Pi (connected to a TV with HDMI) to stream/watch videos - like for instance Netflix.
And I would hope for a high resolution.

For example - just as if you would connect a normal PC / Laptop with HDMI to a TV, and then watch a movie, netflix or whatever (instead using the Raspberry Pi and not the laptop).

If that is not possible, is there any "upgrades" I can implement on the Raspberry Pi - or would it simply not work for streaming eg. Netflix?

And thank you, I will check that fella out on YouTube.

Once again, your help is highly appreciated.

You have the very first version of Raspberry Pi. It does not have HDMI, only composite and audio out. While you could install Raspbian on it with GIU, it will be slow on anything, but you can try.

Forget about Netflix, I think even on current generation RPi Netflix will refuse to work.