Mar 29, 2022
I bought this headset in 2020 and have faced a very annoying issue twice since.
Whenever I connect the headset (5 aux ports and one USB port) it'll function for 3-5 seconds and then turn off completely.
This issue started after I installed synapse and turned on RGB for the headset (which leads me to believe its a power issue)

When did I face the issue?
1) I first faced this problem when I was in a game of Overwatch and razer synapse was installed, the headset randomly turned off with a pop sound.​
This issue persisted for about 3 days before it fixed itself. Overwatch controls the headset lighting via Razer Chroma.​
2) 2 days ago while listening to songs (razer synapse was installed), I'm still facing this problem and tried everything I can think of. The RGB brightness​
was set to max.​
A few things I've observed -
Turning the RGB off and muting sound using the audio controller of the headset, it remains on (but not usable, obviously)​
Uninstalling synapse and completely turning RGB off helps, but it still shuts down after 10-15 seconds of use.​

Things I've tried -
Using a different USB port to power the headset​
-Leads to the same result except the headset functioning for longer on USB 2.0 ports (rather than 3.0)​
Using the cabinet ports​
-Functions properly without RGB but only in 2.1 mode on low sound​
Reinstalling audio and motherboard drivers​
-No change observed​
Clean re-installing Razer Synapse​
-No change observed​
Trying to use the headset on kUbuntu​
-No change observed​
Letting razer synapse "update the firmware"​
-No change observed​
Contacting Razer support and following their advice​
-Zero working solutions plus an unfair resolution​
My Specs -
  • ASUS x570-E
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
  • 16GB of DDR4 3600mhz RAM
  • Zotac RTX 2070 Super
  • CoolerMaster 650w Gold PSU

• Windows 10 (latest patch) on an M.2
  • kUbuntu (latest patch) on an M.2
  • Bios is up to date

Solution
I had the original Tiamat 7.1’s and they were known to be difficult to drive, there was a list of recommended soundcards. I know the motherboard I had could not drive them properly and I ended up buying a soundcard off the list. I personally would find another headset, after buying the sound card the sound quality was still lacking considering the amount invested and the surround sound was no better than a modern virtual surround sound headset.

Ralston18

Titan
This headset?

https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3567/~/razer-tiamat-7.1-v2-|-rz04-00600-support

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some related error code, warning, or even informational event when the headset turns off.

What all is being plugged into the Aux ports?

Do all USB devices rely on motherboard USB power or are you using an independently powered USB hub?

Temporarily remove all power savers etc.. Could be some conflict.

How many connected USB devices? What other USB devices (if any) are connected?

How are the RGB devices connected? What all is using/displaying RGB etc.?

How old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Overall, I suspect that one of the connectors is not quite right and either shorts or disconnects somewhere.

With the additional thought that power may be an issue.

Mar 29, 2022
This headset?

https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3567/~/razer-tiamat-7.1-v2-|-rz04-00600-support

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some related error code, warning, or even informational event when the headset turns off.

Do all USB devices rely on motherboard USB power or are you using an independently powered USB hub?

How old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Overall, I suspect that one of the connectors is not quite right and either shorts or disconnects somewhere.

This headset?
-Im unable to click the link, but it seems like it from the URL name.

-Could you please elaborate on this?

-All 5 aux ports on the motherboard are occupied by the Headset so that is Front, Rear, Side, Subwoofer and the Mic.

-All USB devices are powered via the motherboard

-Yep, already done from device manager as well as within windows and kubuntu.

-There is a keyboard and a mouse along with the headset, i've experienced no disconnection issue or dimly lit RGB issues on the keyboard and the mouse (GK61 and Logitech G502 Hero Respectively).

-The motherboard, 3 fans, 1 m.2 ssd and the gpu has rgb and is connected to the motherboard. The keyboard and mouse is connected via a single usb.

-The PSU was bought in August of 2020, I've played games and edited for thousands of hours with a few days of mining. HOWEVER, ive never faced any power issues before.

Ralston18

Titan
Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Access by typing either "Reliability History" or "Event Viewer" into the Type here to search box usually found in the lower screen corner.

Try Reliability History first. Much more end user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing as to when problems/errors etc. begin and end.

PSU

"-The PSU was bought in August of 2020, I've played games and edited for thousands of hours with a few days of mining. HOWEVER, ive never faced any power issues before. "

PSU's do wear out and degrade over time. And like most components designed to have some set EOL (End of Life). Especially if heavily used near or at rated wattage levels. Gaming and mining being especially demanding.

When you look in Reliability History and Event Viewer look for increasing numbers of errors and varying types of errors. Often a sign of a faltering or failing PSU.

Remember that PSUs provide three voltages: 3, 5, and 12 volts on various rails. It only takes one faltering voltage to wreak havoc.

Do ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the current host computer. Verify that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

If possible swap in another known working PSU. Remember do not mix and match PSU cables between PSUs.

I had the original Tiamat 7.1’s and they were known to be difficult to drive, there was a list of recommended soundcards. I know the motherboard I had could not drive them properly and I ended up buying a soundcard off the list. I personally would find another headset, after buying the sound card the sound quality was still lacking considering the amount invested and the surround sound was no better than a modern virtual surround sound headset.

Solution