Aug 22, 2023
Hi, I’ve recently built a new pc, which is meant to be a gift, using all new components. The pc keeps crashing mid game or idle, or even fails to get past the boot loading screen. At times when it restarts itself it uninstalls the graphics driver and Nvidia GeForce experience. I’ve checked all the temperatures of the components they’re all within range, all drivers are installed.

Had a clean install of windows 10 after which I upgraded it to windows 11 thinking it may have been a compatibility issue with the os, but that didn’t help. The build is:
CPU: intel core i5-13600k
GPU: msi Rtx 4070 Ventus 3x 12g oc
Mobo: msi mpg z790 carbon wifi
RAM: g.skill trident z5 ddr5 6400 (16gb x 2)
SSD: Samsung 980 pro with heat sink
PSU: Corsair rm850x

Any help will be appreciated :)

are you installing recommended drivers directly from Nvidia or using the MSI compiled control software & drivers?

if you're not on a fresh OS install at the moment;
run DDU in Windows Safe Mode and remove all GPU related data.
then install the latest graphics drivers directly from Nvidia, without GeForce Experience.
then test with games and/or graphics stress tests.

Reactions: dave.rara66
Aug 22, 2023
are you installing recommended drivers directly from Nvidia or using the MSI compiled control software & drivers?

if you're not on a fresh OS install at the moment;
run DDU in Windows Safe Mode and remove all GPU related data.
then install the latest graphics drivers directly from Nvidia, without GeForce Experience.
then test with games and/or graphics stress tests.
Just did this know will update if it works. Also a side note that after one of the updates while booting the pc it at times loads to a screen saying winload.efi is missing or contains an error. Could this be related to anything? I’ve done all the possible checks for corrupted/missing files

Aug 22, 2023
Just did this know will update if it works. Also a side note that after one of the updates while booting the pc it at times loads to a screen saying winload.efi is missing or contains an error. Could this be related to anything? I’ve done all the possible checks for corrupted/missing files
Unfortunately it has not worked

after one of the updates while booting the pc it at times loads to a screen saying winload.efi is missing or contains an error.
this is definitely a boot error from within the OS.

what is the state of your OS right now?

Windows 10 fresh install into Windows 11 upgrade,
Windows 10 fresh install,
Windows 11 fresh install, etc...

and when you're installing Windows what source(s) are you using?
MS DVD, downloaded ISO, Microsoft Media Creation Tool, some 3rd party source..?

Aug 22, 2023
this is definitely a boot error from within the OS.

what is the state of your OS right now?

Windows 10 fresh install into Windows 11 upgrade,
Windows 10 fresh install,
Windows 11 fresh install, etc...

and when you're installing Windows what source(s) are you using?
MS DVD, downloaded ISO, Microsoft Media Creation Tool, some 3rd party source..?
So after the suggestion didn’t work, I completely did a clean install of windows 10 from by getting the Microsoft media creation tool to make an iso onto my usb. I belobe the pc crashed after installing windows and entering setup. After I got onto the desktop I installed the drivers provided with the msi mobo on the usb, after which it crashed . I installed the rest of the drivers, included the graphics driver, downloaded LOL, and got my brother to play a game of aram in which it crashed. After rebooting it uninstalled the graphics driver.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
This error usually means you need to go into your bios and disable secure boot. I doubt that is what is causing the rest of your issues though. Did you use both 8 pin power connectors? Have you checked your ram settings in your bios? Tried running with only 1 stick? I'm just throwing out ideas... have you updated your bios?

Reactions: dave.rara66

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
So after the suggestion didn’t work, I completely did a clean install of windows 10 from by getting the Microsoft media creation tool to make an iso onto my usb. I belobe the pc crashed after installing windows and entering setup. After I got onto the desktop I installed the drivers provided with the msi mobo on the usb, after which it crashed . I installed the rest of the drivers, included the graphics driver, downloaded LOL, and got my brother to play a game of aram in which it crashed. After rebooting it uninstalled the graphics driver.
When you say crashed are you getting any type of error message or is it just shutting down and resetting? Have you checked event viewer?

Aug 22, 2023
This error usually means you need to go into your bios and disable secure boot. I doubt that is what is causing the rest of your issues though. Did you use both 8 pin power connectors? Have you checked your ram settings in your bios? Tried running with only 1 stick? I'm just throwing out ideas... have you updated your bios?
I've only got 1 slot to fit a 8 pin power connector on the msi rtx 4070 ventus 3x. I've been working through what could be the problem, and I'm looking into ram atm, I've tried using one stick into each slot, as the motherboard currently displays the error code 55 each time it boots whether it's a successful boot or not, each slot and stick seem to be giving error 55. I'm currently looking int changing the settings in the bios. As a side note the pc does not seem to crash at any point before booting onto windows.

Aug 22, 2023
When you say crashed are you getting any type of error message or is it just shutting down and resetting? Have you checked event viewer?
The screen either goes black or it freezes, at times it resets or when the screen goes black the fans and everything stay on. I have checked event viewer but I'm not really sure what to look for

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
I've only got 1 slot to fit a 8 pin power connector on the msi rtx 4070 ventus 3x. I've been working through what could be the problem, and I'm looking into ram atm, I've tried using one stick into each slot, as the motherboard currently displays the error code 55 each time it boots whether it's a successful boot or not, each slot and stick seem to be giving error 55. I'm currently looking int changing the settings in the bios. As a side note the pc does not seem to crash at any point before booting onto windows.
Is it a 16 pin power connector? I'm pretty sure you should have 2 8 pin connectors or possibly 1 16 pin.

I was wrong about this apparently after checking into it. It does look like that card only has 1 8 pin connector. Surprising.

Last edited:

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
The screen either goes black or it freezes, at times it resets or when the screen goes black the fans and everything stay on. I have checked event viewer but I'm not really sure what to look for
Just go to the windows drop down on the left and expand it then look through applications for anything with a red x and error message. Same for the other columns but the main two will be applications and system.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
Error code 55 on your motherboard means memory not installed. You may need to replace your memory. Try switching to the other slots on the board.... You will want to run them using the A2 and B2 slots preferrably. It could even be your cpu. You may need to take it out and look for bent pins.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023
Error code 55 on your motherboard means memory not installed. You may need to replace your memory. Try switching to the other slots on the board.... You will want to run them using the A2 and B2 slots preferrably. It could even be your cpu. You may need to take it out and look for bent pins.
After leaving the previous reply I did just that. Not sure if Im doing it correctly, since I do not have a torque screw driver Im not sure how much pressure I'm putting on the screws, I followed this video here which may be the reason for the issue -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAau2PNjtM0&t=291s
. Currently trying it out, as swapping the ram slots didnt seem to do anything

After I got onto the desktop I installed the drivers provided with the msi mobo on the usb, after which it crashed
you mean that you have a pre-configured MSI USB stick with drivers that came with the board?

or you have created it yourself using the newest available drivers directly from MSI?

also have you checked that the BIOS is updated to latest available version from MSI?
I'm looking into ram atm
install them into the correct slots, A2 & B2, unless your board specifies something different.
and run a couple rounds of MemTest86 to check for detectable issues.

Aug 22, 2023
you mean that you have a pre-configured MSI USB stick with drivers that came with the board?

or you have created it yourself using the newest available drivers directly from MSI?

also have you checked that the BIOS is updated to latest available version from MSI?

install them into the correct slots, A2 & B2, unless your board specifies something different.
and run a couple rounds of MemTest86 to check for detectable issues.
So after installing windows 10, I installed using the msi iso which was on the usb stick which came with the board the drivers. The bios seems to be the latest one but I will double check and the RAM has been installed on the A2 & B2 slots which are in fact the recommended ones. I have carried out a MemTest86 on one of them, didnt show up any errors. However, as mentioned to Mattp2017, I have followed the video linked in my reply, and have loosened the cpu fan which I havent mentioned is the noctua NH-D15. Currently the up time of the pc while also playing games has been over an hour and counting, although the cpu is getting 10-20 degrees more hotter so 60-80 range whereas before when it was tight it was 35-60 it seems to be running.

Will keep updating if the system crashes, or if any developments in the situation occur. Hoping this is the fix

I installed using the msi iso which was on the usb stick which came with the board the drivers.
i guess this is supposed to mean that the board came with a USB drive loaded with drivers.

most newer motherboards continue to update the available drivers pretty often for the first year or longer.
you should be downloading the latest available directly from the MSI support page(s) for your particular board.

i wouldn't recommend using any type of auto-update software or feature you may find.
getting BIOS and drivers directly from the support section of the motherboard product site is the best method.

Aug 22, 2023
i guess this is supposed to mean that the board came with a USB drive loaded with drivers.

most newer motherboards continue to update the available drivers pretty often for the first year or longer.
you should be downloading the latest available directly from the MSI support page(s) for your particular board.

i wouldn't recommend using any type of auto-update software or feature you may find.
getting BIOS and drivers directly from the support section of the motherboard product site is the best method.
I'd like to thank the both of you for helping me out with this, I'm not sure whether it was the untightening of the bolts or updating the bios, as I went back to see if it was the absolute latest version, which it wasn't so I updated it, which seems to have stabilised the pc and there haven't been any crashes since yesterday after doing these 2 things.

So once again thank you for you help :)