Question Recover data from an unallocated SSD after it was unplugged.

mrcuttie

Honorable
Oct 1, 2014
Hi all, Thanks in advance.
Please point me in the direction if you know of a solution else where.
I was under the impression my motherboard allowed me to hot swap my SSD drives, I needed to get some information off another SSD and just went ahead and swapped out a storage drive, after the deed was done and I connected up the original drive the disk manager said that the disk is Unallocated.
I was able to use a testdisk to get the data back, I presume, but it is unorganized and filled with items like thumbnails and system files I don't have the time to sift through.

Is there any way that I can restore the partition and have my data back as it was originally organized? or am I stuck sifting through the 500+ folders for the items I want to recover?
I tried Minitools, but this just locked everything down and I had to restore to a previous version to open any file/program.

I do know there was a bootable Windows on this drive, but it is not the drive I was currently booting from. Further, after I faced this issue I tried to boot from the BIOS to that SSD but it could not find a bootable Windows. Could running a recovery disk on this allow me to boot on to this drive again? That way I could just copy the necessary data over to another dive in the other Windows.

mrcuttie

Honorable
Oct 1, 2014
I was able to get the data using a partition recovery software. Unfortunately they want $135 before I can save them so I am looking else were as it is only a select few files I need. Will update.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
If recovery is guaranteed, spring for the $135, you can always use that program to recover from any number of accidental deletions and so on. I have a few already installed, can be called up on demand, as soon as I notice I accidentally deleted stuff.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
popatim, I sure hope your idea works, it's cheaper than $135, however, remember,I only suggested springing for the monies if recovery is guaranteed, and now: if DMDE doesn't solve.
OP: $135 does seem high, what program was it? Did it include partition and data recovery for more than one computer? Have you been making routine backups onto external media? I'm thinking long term, more than one computer, HDDs that can begin to fail after months or years, SSDs that normally are harder to data recover, and the human factor.

Last edited:

mrcuttie

Honorable
Oct 1, 2014
I got caught up in travel and the whole virus thing so it took me a while to get this resolved.
I tried DMDE, but I could not get it to work for me, I'm sure it was my particular case.
I have recovered the drive I used 'findandmount', it worked seamlessly and it looks like everything is there. http://findandmount.com/
I was hesitant to pay the money because because I knew it would be a one off thing, hopefully, so after some searching I was able to find free personal use software.

Drive is all there, all my school work and programs I had written are safe and sound. :)

USAFRet

Titan
And please take this as a heads up to institute a comprehensive backup plan.

A dead or faulty drive should never mean lost data.

Backup software is free or cheap, and easy to automate.
Drive space is cheap.
No reason for this to happen ever again.