Replying to invites?

When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat channels? Is
there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to type
his name in the chat window?

Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If you
bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
cauldron of bosses."

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Shenanigunner wrote:
> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
channels? Is
> there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to
type
> his name in the chat window?

Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
<source of last message to you>," for you.

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat channels? Is
>there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to type
>his name in the chat window?

Nope, the only way is for you to type their name - that is of course
unless they sent you a tell first.

>Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If you
>bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
>cauldron of bosses."

I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can be
made unless you have looking for team on.
One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less of
hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.

Xocyll

Dark Tyger wrote:

> Nope. Scorcho's just giving advice without knowing what the hell he's
> talking about. ;)

Doh!! :)

Shenanigunner wrote:
> Does an invite set the auto-response to the inviter's /t channel?

Sorry, I was thinking of an invite like. "/t <you>, hey want to help
with a TF." And not the blind invite without the tell. My mistake.

Shenanigunner wrote:
> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
channels? Is
> there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to
type
> his name in the chat window?
>
> Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to
"If you
> bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass
into a
> cauldron of bosses."

Here's what I do (maybe this will be more helpful than the first inane
response of mine).

/sea
type in first few characters of name
untoggle LFG button
hit the search button

I now see the level of the invitee, and can right-click and chat with
them. This is useful for really long names or names with a . or
something I didn't catch.

Xocyll wrote:

> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
be
> made unless you have looking for team on.
> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less
of
> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.

The problem with this is I've had occasion to broadcast LFT in an area
that I need to street sweep. In those situations I don't want a
general invite, but a response to a broadcast. For example when my
blaster needed to hunt Lost in TV, there was no way I was going to do
it solo, none of my SG or Friends list were on, so I broadcast LFT to
street hunt in TV and hooked up with 6 others street sweeping the same
area. If I'd had LFT on, I would likely have been invited to teams in
Striga Isle or some other far flung place.

Scorcho wrote:
> Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
> <source of last message to you>," for you.

IIRC, that doesn't work for team invitations, since they aren't actually
chat messages.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
> <source of last message to you>," for you.

Uh, yeah, duh. (I know, some experienced players don't know about the
simplest features sometimes - but I *did* write the B&M Guide...)

Does an invite set the auto-response to the inviter's /t channel?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= RorShok: Level 2 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:02:15 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
>> <source of last message to you>," for you.
>
>Uh, yeah, duh. (I know, some experienced players don't know about the
>simplest features sometimes - but I *did* write the B&M Guide...)
>
>Does an invite set the auto-response to the inviter's /t channel?

Nope. Scorcho's just giving advice without knowing what the hell he's
talking about. ;)

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>>
>> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
>be
>> made unless you have looking for team on.
>> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less
>of
>> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.
>>

>The problem with this is I've had occasion to broadcast LFT in an area
>that I need to street sweep. In those situations I don't want a
>general invite, but a response to a broadcast. For example when my
>blaster needed to hunt Lost in TV, there was no way I was going to do
>it solo, none of my SG or Friends list were on, so I broadcast LFT to
>street hunt in TV and hooked up with 6 others street sweeping the same
>area. If I'd had LFT on, I would likely have been invited to teams in
>Striga Isle or some other far flung place.

Yeah, but there's nothing stopping you from having LFT off until someone
who responded to your broadcast invited you.

It would be
Broadcast
tell
set lft on
invited

instead of

broadcast
invited

Because of course, just because you sent a broadcast doesn't mean the
blind invite you get afterwards is in response to that.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading
> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
> signs say:
>
>>When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
>>channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
>>without having to type his name in the chat window?
>
> Nope, the only way is for you to type their name - that is of course
> unless they sent you a tell first.
>
>>Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to
>>"If you bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your
>>sorry ass into a cauldron of bosses."
>
> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
> be made unless you have looking for team on.
> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less of
> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.

Well, I'd make a modification to that only in that it be a toggle for the
player to choose to auto-refuse invites if LFG isn't on. I've received
blind invites before and accept them about 70% of the time.

I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
players who are being showed as in-mission.

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading
>> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
>> signs say:
>>
>>>When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
>>>channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
>>>without having to type his name in the chat window?
>>
>> Nope, the only way is for you to type their name - that is of course
>> unless they sent you a tell first.
>>
>>>Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to
>>>"If you bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your
>>>sorry ass into a cauldron of bosses."
>>
>> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
>> be made unless you have looking for team on.
>> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less of
>> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.
>
>Well, I'd make a modification to that only in that it be a toggle for the
>player to choose to auto-refuse invites if LFG isn't on. I've received
>blind invites before and accept them about 70% of the time.

Well that could work too I guess.

I don't accept blind invites period - it's a policy.
I have lft off, so if you aren't polite enough to send me a tell ASKING
me to team even though i'm not LFT, you aren't someone I want to team
with.

Or to put it another way, people who are too lazy to send a tell are
usually too lazy enough to make good teammates.

>I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
>have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
>players who are being showed as in-mission.

When you're talking about tells though it's not a blind invite anymore.
They would just set LFT on then reply "yeah sure" and you'd invite them.

You just couldn't BLIND invite them while they had LFT off.

Xocyll

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
> Generally I /ignore before declining these random, silent drive-by
> invites. Wonder if it gets the point across?

How does that change what the inviter sees? Do they get an "ignored"
message with your decline?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= RorShok: Level 5 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:48:01 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>> Generally I /ignore before declining these random, silent drive-by
>> invites. Wonder if it gets the point across?
>
>How does that change what the inviter sees? Do they get an "ignored"
>message with your decline?

Any time you /ignore someone, they see a message saying that they have
been ignored by you. Unless this changed since January while I was
away.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I now see the level of the invitee, and can right-click and chat with
> them. This is useful for really long names or names with a . or
> something I didn't catch.

Useful. The whole LFG/invite thing should be more tightly tied into the
chat system, IMHO.

--

Xocyll wrote:
> I don't accept blind invites period - it's a policy. I have lft off,
> so if you aren't polite enough to send me a tell ASKING me to team
> even though i'm not LFT, you aren't someone I want to team with.
>
> Or to put it another way, people who are too lazy to send a tell are
> usually too lazy enough to make good teammates.

At lower levels, I figure it's ignorance as much as laziness. When I get
a blind invite, I fire back a tell asking, "What's the plan?" Prompt
There's often no response at all, which pretty clearly indicates
somebody I don't want to team with.

FWIW, I normally invite first, /tell second when the target is LFT. I've
seen too many toons accept somebody else's invite while I'm typing up
the /tell, especially if it's a high-demand team AT.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
> channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
> without having to type his name in the chat window?

A long time ago, back in Issue 1 (after the beta/closed beta/open
beta) it was discovered that the 'Seek Team' button would come on
when changing zones. Sometimes even during the login process.

Many messages passed back and forth between the community and the
devs. It became common knowledge that 'LFT' did not always mean
'LFT'.

Invites still came without tells.

Jokes were made about it (Ctrl-Alt-Del I think did a couple). This
was also before the enable/disable teleport toggle.

So, once some of these people got to be 40 (the highest back then)
and they would start their new alts while waiting for Issue #2 and
the fixes, the invites kept coming.

Finally, they fixed the bug, and the 'Seek Team' no longer came on
while zoning.

Did it stop the blind invites? Nope.

Now that I am in an established and active SG, and friends with other
characters in other SGs, I send a quick tell on 'Friends' if anyone
knows this 'Blind Inviter'. If no one knows them, and they are not in
my (now) global list, I just click 'No'.

If the invite comes again from the same person I have several

1. Keep the invite window open and moved out of the way, and continue
what I'm doing.

2. Click 'No' again, and hide.

3. If I'm feeling gregarious, I'll send a quick tell to the inviter
and ask them what is going on.

4. If I have some time, I'll do a quick search for the person and
check their info (if in range) or at least their level.

If I have done all four of these, and the invite keeps coming from
the person, I'll consider Petitioning them.

A long time ago I was being harassed by a player that was KS'ng me,
sending me tells, and really annoying the carp out of me. I invited
him, SK'd him up to me, flew real high in PP near the hydras, TP'd
him to me and watched him drop into the mobs while unSK'ng him and
quitting team.

When I posted the incident here, on this NG (or it might have been
the alt.games.rpg before alt.games.coh) I was ripped to shreads by
the community here (or there) as being a griefer.

I learned.

I have not done any 'griefing' since and the toon I had back then has
not been around since before Issue 2.

Long story to say just this one simple thing:
If you blind invite me, and continue to blind invite me or my
characters, you will be reported/petitioned as harassment. And every
one of the people I know will be informed and warned about the
inviter.

By limiting the number of people that you can talk to because you are
now on global ignore and server ignore by several people you're
chances of being PL'd have dropped DRASTICALLY.

As to the broadcasters that want a PL.....immediate and permanent
/ignore.

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
>
>> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
>> channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
>> without having to type his name in the chat window?
>
>A long time ago, back in Issue 1 (after the beta/closed beta/open
>beta) it was discovered that the 'Seek Team' button would come on
>when changing zones. Sometimes even during the login process.
>
>Many messages passed back and forth between the community and the
>devs. It became common knowledge that 'LFT' did not always mean
>'LFT'.

>Invites still came without tells.

Oh I remember this all too well, and the "blind inviters" used this as
an excuse in the forum again and again and again.

"But, but, but you DID have LFT set on."

Little known addendum to that bug, it only happened if you had _ever_
turned LFT on, if you hadn't, the bug did NOT turn it on.

Needless to say I got blind invites from people who tried to claim after
the fact (in broadcast after being insulted) that I had LFT on, even
though i'd never turned it on, and a quick check showed that it was off.

It's kids (and by that I mean immature people from preteen to teens) who
want something NOW and can't be bothered expending any effort and aren't
willing to wait one nanosecond more.
What you want is irrelevant, only what they want matters, and they want
someone of your AT/level on their team RIGHT NOW because they think they
"need" you.
Just like they "need" to be PL'd, "need" to be given inf handouts, etc.

Blind invites became significantly more of a nuisance while I was
playing the various tank builds - since all the idiots *know* they
"need" a tank on the team to pay meatshield for them.

And yes, I did get tells from some of these idiots *after* i'd clicked
no to the invite (sometimes repeatedly), telling me how much they NEEDED
me.
Their need of course was why they were inviting someone who wasn't LFT,
was 3 levels higher than any of them, and was 5 zones away and expected
to drop everything and go where they were.

>Did it stop the blind invites? Nope.

Nothing will stop blind invites except making it impossible to send
blind invites, thus my "no LFT = no invites" idea.

It's exactly the same as the SPAM problem in e-mail - the only thing
that will stop it is to make it totally illegal to make money from spam.

Leave a loophole and people WILL find it and WILL use it.

Xocyll

The big problem is that hero finder screen makes it too easy to invite
someone, regardless of their LFT status. The devs could make one easy
change to this screen that pops up a question like "This person is not
currently looking for a team, are you sure you want to send them an
invitation?".

Or, how about an option like "Accept tells only from people in my SG or
on my friends list"?

Right now I've found the easiest way to avoid tells and group invites
is just to go /hide when I want to solo. The only time you'd get a
tell or an invite at that point would be if they were someone who saw
you pass by OR if they added you to their global friends list (which
you do have to approve of) and can see you that way.

Mulligan

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

> Or to put it another way, people who are too lazy to send a tell are
> usually too lazy enough to make good teammates.

Or....they are people trying to keep a full group together because the last
3 invites had to 1. Go to Taco Bell real quick 2. I can play for the next
15 minutes then have to leave for class. 3. Dad wants the computer.......as
this thread points out different people have different opinions about blind
invites so just because 1 person says those people should go to hell for
doing it doesn't mean everyone feels the same way. If I do a blind invite
to your character because I'm in a hurry.....don't accept it, possibly I
don't have the time to type out War And Peace to everyone I want to invite.
I'd say about 75%+ of the people that I have invited that were not lft
actually accepted and stayed with the group. So for future reference, I'm
sorry if you have to click refuse and welcome it you click accept.

Talk to the Devs if you don't want your character to be searched by nlft.

Dave

"StreetHunter" <googlerob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| The big problem is that hero finder screen makes it too easy to invite
| someone, regardless of their LFT status. The devs could make one easy
| change to this screen that pops up a question like "This person is not
| currently looking for a team, are you sure you want to send them an
| invitation?".
|
| Or, how about an option like "Accept tells only from people in my SG or
| on my friends list"?
|
| Right now I've found the easiest way to avoid tells and group invites
| is just to go /hide when I want to solo. The only time you'd get a
| tell or an invite at that point would be if they were someone who saw
| you pass by OR if they added you to their global friends list (which
| you do have to approve of) and can see you that way.

On the COH TEST server, the LFT (looking for team) allows a message to
be typed up as a form of "auto response" (example - "Wants to do street
hunting" or "looking for Fortune Teller mission").

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:53:31 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
wrote:

> Any time you /ignore someone, they see a message saying that they have
> been ignored by you. Unless this changed since January while I was
> away.

According to a recent discussion on the LJ CoH community, the /ignore
command has indeed been gentled over the last few months. Someone tested
it and got no message.

good sign." -G

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:57:16 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:53:31 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Any time you /ignore someone, they see a message saying that they have
>> been ignored by you. Unless this changed since January while I was
>> away.
>
>According to a recent discussion on the LJ CoH community, the /ignore
>command has indeed been gentled over the last few months. Someone tested
>it and got no message.

That's pretty stupid. I thought giving the ignored person a message
was a -GOOD- thing.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:12:49 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
<dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

> I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
> have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
> players who are being showed as in-mission.

I have actually received such polite tells, although not often on the US
servers and never on the European. The blind invite is by far the most
common. If people are being polite, however, I will generally be much more
likely to postpone my own missions in order to help them, if they have a
compelling reason of course. (Cape mission, respec etc.)

good sign." -G