Replying to invites?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Magnus Itland wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:12:49 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
>
>> I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
>> have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
>> players who are being showed as in-mission.
>
> I have actually received such polite tells, although not often on the US
> servers and never on the European. The blind invite is by far the most
> common. If people are being polite, however, I will generally be much more
> likely to postpone my own missions in order to help them, if they have a
> compelling reason of course. (Cape mission, respec etc.)

I refuse blind invites 99% of the time.

Polite tells, I'll at least reply to with a no-thanks. Not matter what
I'm being asked to do - team, TF, bridge, whatever.

I do that because I'll always send a tell before an invite and if someone
doesn't reply, I'll move on to the next one. I've found most people very
happy to reply to tells asking if they want to do a specific TF or
whatever. A lot of the time they even want to actually do the TF!

--
John Parkinson

okies...my 2 cents...
Pet Peeve on blind invites is the people that a) don't read my bio which
plainly says I do NOT do Hollows missions or hunts... and B) Don't seem to
take NO for an answer and constantly invite after i have refused the first.

I abhor the Hollows as a debt trap...

Crash Truck...10L Def\electric Triumph
Ms Mystery 50 L Illus\Ken Triumph
Debt Truck 16 l Fire Tank Triumph
Danny Rand 17 l Magic Scrapper Triumph

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
> Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If
you
> bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
> cauldron of bosses."

Interesting topic and quite relevant to my experience yesterday. Two
things:

I did do a bunch of blind invites to those in very close proximity to
myself, though this may be an exception to the views of many who have
responded to the original post. In fact one person who did decline an
invite soon after asked to be invited. Needed a tank and did a search and
found a few LFT. Did a blind invite (no tell prior) and got a few declines.
One tank was kind enough to say that he was looking for badge hunters and I
kindly replied "thanks for the response, I was just looking for some help to
deal with an octopus." at which point he said he would gladly help and asked
to be reinvited (he did get a badge afterall). Now as you can see by the
last sentence, this was purely to deal with the big ol 8 legged freak in IP.
In all, everyone who accepted the invitation was quite happy with the
outcome. Now, if all the heroes watching this fish splash around was
invited to team by me, is that considered rude? Honestly, this may be an
exception unless you are some crazy tank who thinks he can solo the damn
thing.

As for Shenanigan porting someone's "sorry ass into a cauldron of bosses", I
should have done this to some wank that decided to stick with my team after
the octopus and when we opted to do one of his freaklympics or some such
mission first and not halfway through the mission he goes afk for dinner. I
threated to do this very thing but one of my cyberfreinds had a kinder heart
than me and said he should be back. He did say something later in the
mission but did not move. Mission complete he quit the team. Wish I could
remember his hero name, Srg something on Infinity. Hopefully he ends up on
a team of mine later so I can exact my revenge especially since he has his
team tp prompt off.

DC
--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 29 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>> Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If
>you
>> bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
>> cauldron of bosses."
>
>Interesting topic and quite relevant to my experience yesterday. Two
>things:
>
>I did do a bunch of blind invites to those in very close proximity to
>myself, though this may be an exception to the views of many who have
>responded to the original post.

If i'm on my way to do something I tend to just click no. If i'm not in
a rush, i'll do a pan&scan to see if the inviter is in sight (which may
just be someone hunting the same kind of critters i've been hitting for
the same reason.) If they are one of the support type ATs i'll send
them a tell saying i'm not really looking for a team, "but do they need
help?" That is, i'll do that if they're near the same level as me -
substantially lower and i'm going to assume they're looking for PLing.

The ones not in the immediate area I feed into the team locator so I can
see their location, AT and level. These are almost always someone
lower level in another zone and get a silent decline. Sometimes
repeatedly.

One bright spark invited me 4 times, and only after the 4th decline sent
a tell whining "but we need you".
Well sunshine, if you NEED me you should have asked me or help before
sending an invite, I probably would have helped in that case.

To give an odd analogy I thought of last night; blind invites are just
like grabbing someone and trying to drag them onto the dance floor.
There might be some people that don't mind that technique, but most
prefer to be asked if they want to dance first.

>In fact one person who did decline an
>invite soon after asked to be invited. Needed a tank and did a search and
>found a few LFT. Did a blind invite (no tell prior)

This isn't _really_ a blind invite since they ARE looking for a team.
Yeah, it would be better to send a tell first, but you know in advance
that they ARE looking to team.

and got a few declines.
>One tank was kind enough to say that he was looking for badge hunters

As was suggested in the forums, the seek team thing really needs another
overhaul and the addition of a checkbox for what kind of team you're
looking for (street, missions, TF, trial, respec, badges, etc).

Xocyll

Mulligan

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

> Frankly, I believe it does. And I know for a fact I'm not alone in
> this by a LONG shot. (And "blind invite" implies that the invited
> person doesn't have LFT on.) Hear complaints about it all the time,
> and every time see a chorus of "Hear hear!"s and the like to the
> complaints.
>
> --
> Dark Tyger

Oh so it went from popular opinion to "I'm not alone in this by a long
shot".....cool!

Dave

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:06:59 GMT, "Mulligan"
<davewilson69@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Frankly, I believe it does. And I know for a fact I'm not alone in
>> this by a LONG shot. (And "blind invite" implies that the invited
>> person doesn't have LFT on.) Hear complaints about it all the time,
>> and every time see a chorus of "Hear hear!"s and the like to the
>> complaints.
>>
>> --
>> Dark Tyger
>
>Oh so it went from popular opinion to "I'm not alone in this by a long
>shot".....cool!

Ooh, nice dodge! Not.

You...realize that those are quite similar statements, right?

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> As was suggested in the forums, the seek team thing really needs another
> overhaul and the addition of a checkbox for what kind of team you're
> looking for (street, missions, TF, trial, respec, badges, etc).

That was something that they have been trying to get added to the search
function, but they are having difficulties getting it to work properly. I
think on Test that they have added something, but am not sure.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

The current setup on Test is as follows. You have a drop box with
exclusive radio buttons for the type of team and a text box for a
description, your default is 'Not looking for team'.

In nonTech this means your 'Seek Team' button is replaced by a menu with
the following choices, not looking, looking for anything, looking for
missions, looking for hunting, looking for trial, looking for TF, and
looking for arena. You can only choose one label but you can say
"Anything but..." in the text box. The stuff you type in the box is
listed after you in the 'Find Members' window. Unfortunately there is a
bug and a problem with this. The bug, last I checked, was that if I
selected a level range and hit 'search', my computer locked. The problem
is that the Arena is also on Test and nobody is looking for anything but
arena groups, especially if they can't figure out that the word
'anything' includes activities other than arena fights.
--
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

Xocyll wrote:
> Every time there's a new wave of players, there's blind invites and
> people asking stupid questions over chat - stupid as in "covered in the
> manual they couldn't be bothered looking at."

That quite disproves DT's claim that newbies intuitively understand that
blind invites are bad, doesn't it?
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Dark Tyger wrote:
> Not a valid comparison at all.

Sure it is. A blind invite is usually somewhat annoying but not at all
harmful -- exactly like getting disturbed by an unexpected knock on your
front door.

> This is more like tossing a basketball without even a "heads up!" to
> every total stranger who passes by expecting them to shoot hoops with
> you regardless of what they're doing at the time.

Too silly. See, you could actually get hurt by that. Blind invites are
harmless, merely annoying.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:46:51 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

>> This is more like tossing a basketball without even a "heads up!" to
>> every total stranger who passes by expecting them to shoot hoops with
>> you regardless of what they're doing at the time.
>
>Too silly. See, you could actually get hurt by that. Blind invites are
>harmless, merely annoying.

Blind invites have gotten me killed in-game when my view is suddenly
partially obscured during a tough fight and I have to quickly get rid
of the confirm box and fight at the same time.

--

Magnus Itland wrote:
> Probably not totally alone. However, as the game interface is now,
> there are two mutually exclusive states: (LFT) / not(LFT). The basic
> assumption must be that not(LFT)=(not LFT).

Incorrect. There are three states: LFT, default, hidden. If you really
don't want to team up, use the last one. (Also, I will readily agree
that blind invites sent to a hidden player /are/ rude.)
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Dark Tyger wrote...
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:10:57 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>
> >The invitation /is/ communication. It's like knocking on a neighbor's
> >door. You could call first, but most folks IME don't bother, especially
> >not kids.
>
> Not a valid comparison at all. This is more like tossing a basketball
> without even a "heads up!" to every total stranger who passes by
> expecting them to shoot hoops with you regardless of what they're
> doing at the time.

Except that all of the total strangers are dressed in basketball
uniforms and wandering around the same basketball court.

It's a multiplayer game, sending people an invite without sending a tell
first isn't rude unless it's obvious they don't want to team with you.
Is it more polite sending a tell first? Sure, but it's not rude if you
don't.

Zoiks!

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:15:25 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:

>Except that all of the total strangers are dressed in basketball
>uniforms and wandering around the same basketball court.

No, just playing/recreating in the same park that has the court.

>It's a multiplayer game, sending people an invite without sending a tell
>first isn't rude unless it's obvious they don't want to team with you.

The fact that they don't have LFT up and haven't announced that they
want to team should be enough of a hint for any rational human being
to realize that they probably aren't interested in teaming and it
would be polite to find out before popping a confirm window in the
middle of their game view.

--

Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Dark Tyger wrote...
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:10:57 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
>> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The invitation /is/ communication. It's like knocking on a neighbor's
>> >door. You could call first, but most folks IME don't bother, especially
>> >not kids.
>>
>> Not a valid comparison at all. This is more like tossing a basketball
>> without even a "heads up!" to every total stranger who passes by
>> expecting them to shoot hoops with you regardless of what they're
>> doing at the time.
>
>Except that all of the total strangers are dressed in basketball
>uniforms and wandering around the same basketball court.
>
>It's a multiplayer game, sending people an invite without sending a tell
>first isn't rude unless it's obvious they don't want to team with you.
>Is it more polite sending a tell first? Sure, but it's not rude if you
>don't.

If they don't have LFT on, then they are making it obvious they aren't
looking for a team.

Sending an invite to someone who IS looking for a team, isn't rude, even
if it is blind, because they have already made it public they WANT TO
TEAM.

The problem is the people who say want a level 15-20 tanker, and search
for exactly that. The list DOES only show those people with LFT set,
UNLESS the person searching DISABLES the LFT limiting.

They know damn well you aren't looking, because they searched for EVERY
tanker in those levels, not just the ones looking for a team. Even then
the list clearly marks the ones that are looking for a team with a big
G.

Sending a blind invite to someone you KNOW isn't looking to team, is
extremely rude.

But the blind inviters don't care - they know you aren't looking, so why
should they actually expend some effort sending you a message asking you
to team, when they can right-click invite.
They know there's a damn good chance you're going to say no, so they
expend the minimum possible effort.

Cause hey, typing is hard for someone who can't think, but clicking
isn't.

Xocyll

Dark Tyger wrote:
> The fact that they don't have LFT up and haven't announced that they
> want to team should be enough of a hint for any rational human being
> to realize that they probably aren't interested in teaming ....

Repeating this does not make it true. If you don't want to be bothered,
/hide. Leaving LFT off just means you're not advertising for teammates.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Xocyll wrote:
> If they don't have LFT on, then they are making it obvious they aren't
> looking for a team.

Repeating this does not make it true.

> Sending an invite to someone who IS looking for a team, isn't rude,
> even if it is blind, because they have already made it public they
> WANT TO TEAM.

See, you implicitly recognize that LFT is an advertisement. However, you
fail to recognize that "no advertisement" is not synonymous with "do not
disturb." That's what /hide is for.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
> What you've written above pretty well describes me, too - If I *really*
> want to solo, I'll /hide. If I *really* want to team, I'll put LFT on
> followed by a broadcast in the zone that I'm a level $X $primary/$secondary
> $archetype looking for team.
>
> If I'm soloing but wouldn't mind joining up, I'll usually accept a blind
> invite, though I certainly appreciate a tell, first (this usually, IME,
> indicates a team with decent communication anyway)

Yeah, that's exactly how I play too. It's a little trickier if you're
only willing to team up with friends, although the global friends list
(or teamspeak, if you use that) means that it's only a little more
effort.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Robotech_Master wrote:

> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's?
> Ah well, at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can
> put an "ask before inviting" in their comment field or
> something.)

It's nice to see that there is going to be something to look forward to
in I4 for those of us who don't care about PvP. I actually like CoH's
teaming features a lot (I don't think any other MMO has SK'ing or
Exemp'ing), and having a little ionformation text that shows up in the
/sea window will make it that much nicer.

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>> If they don't have LFT on, then they are making it obvious they aren't
>> looking for a team.
>
>Repeating this does not make it true.

No, the fact it was hashed out in the forums and in chat again and again
and again, AND the fact that /hide DID NOT EXIST at release, make it
true.

>> Sending an invite to someone who IS looking for a team, isn't rude,
>> even if it is blind, because they have already made it public they
>> WANT TO TEAM.
>
>See, you implicitly recognize that LFT is an advertisement. However, you
>fail to recognize that "no advertisement" is not synonymous with "do not
>disturb." That's what /hide is for.

You can parrot this all you like and it will never make it true.

It's not a 3 way, it's a binary solution, you are or you aren't;
Lft on or off.

YOU might want to believe it's active on, passive on, don't bug me, but
that's not how it is.

If your trinary solution was the actual case, being hidden would make it
impossible to get blind invites. This is most assuredly not the case.

From he recent updates list
"Use the /hide command to appear offline on people’s Friends lists (and
Supergroup rosters). Use the /unhide command to appear as online again."

I note that it says nothing here about using hide to remove your self
from team lists, or to use it to hide from blind invites, so that's
OBVIOUSLY not the intended use for it - even if that's what you think
it's for.

Xocyll

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:50:54 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

> I use LFT to mean "I want a team ASAP" and /hide to mean "I'm
> soloing or testing binds, leave me alone." I use the default
> setting to mean, "I wouldn't mind a team-up, but I don't want to
> advertise."

There are also those people who use LFT to mean "I might want to team
but want to be asked first" and will then harangue you for
"blind-inviting" them if you invite them without a tell first.

But the majority of people seem to use LFT to indicate "looking for
team without asking first" and non-LFT to indicate "may or may not be
amenable to teaming, but certainly not if you don't ask me first."

(And that's what gets me about those LFT = blind invite people. What
are we supposed to be, psychic? Supposed to read their minds that
_their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's? Ah well,
at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can put an "ask before
inviting" in their comment field or something.)

The only times to ask before inviting someone who is clearly LFT are,
in my view, if you're about to commit to a Task Force that such a
person might not have time for, or if you're all the way across the
city from the invitee and need to know if he's up for the travel time
first. If someone *isn't* LFT, then you should *always* ask first.
It's just common courtesy (which is, sadly, not so common at all these
days).

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:50:54 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>
>> I use LFT to mean "I want a team ASAP" and /hide to mean "I'm
>> soloing or testing binds, leave me alone." I use the default
>> setting to mean, "I wouldn't mind a team-up, but I don't want to
>> advertise."
>
> There are also those people who use LFT to mean "I might want to team
> but want to be asked first" and will then harangue you for
> "blind-inviting" them if you invite them without a tell first.
>
> But the majority of people seem to use LFT to indicate "looking for
> team without asking first" and non-LFT to indicate "may or may not be
> amenable to teaming, but certainly not if you don't ask me first."
>
> (And that's what gets me about those LFT = blind invite people. What
> are we supposed to be, psychic? Supposed to read their minds that
> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's? Ah well,
> at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can put an "ask before
> inviting" in their comment field or something.)
>
> The only times to ask before inviting someone who is clearly LFT are,
> in my view, if you're about to commit to a Task Force that such a
> person might not have time for, or if you're all the way across the
> city from the invitee and need to know if he's up for the travel time
> first. If someone *isn't* LFT, then you should *always* ask first.
> It's just common courtesy (which is, sadly, not so common at all these
> days).

Agreed. I usually leave my LFT off unless specifically looking for a
team, but I'm certainly not above joining one if asked. Last night I was
soloing in some door missions and received a tell asking if I was
interested in doing some 30-31 missions when I was done. Since I was
close to levelling (~60K or so) I thought it would be a great idea and
joined the team after I finished the mission.

Unfortunately, the team ended up consisting of 4 ~30's and 4 < 15's,
which made me leave (I've *rarely* seen a 50/50 SK team do well in ++30
missions, but that's another thread)

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:50:54 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
>> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I use LFT to mean "I want a team ASAP" and /hide to mean "I'm
>>> soloing or testing binds, leave me alone." I use the default
>>> setting to mean, "I wouldn't mind a team-up, but I don't want to
>>> advertise."
>>
>> There are also those people who use LFT to mean "I might want to team
>> but want to be asked first" and will then harangue you for
>> "blind-inviting" them if you invite them without a tell first.
>>
>> But the majority of people seem to use LFT to indicate "looking for
>> team without asking first" and non-LFT to indicate "may or may not be
>> amenable to teaming, but certainly not if you don't ask me first."
>>
>> (And that's what gets me about those LFT = blind invite people. What
>> are we supposed to be, psychic? Supposed to read their minds that
>> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's? Ah well,
>> at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can put an "ask before
>> inviting" in their comment field or something.)
>>
>> The only times to ask before inviting someone who is clearly LFT are,
>> in my view, if you're about to commit to a Task Force that such a
>> person might not have time for, or if you're all the way across the
>> city from the invitee and need to know if he's up for the travel time
>> first. If someone *isn't* LFT, then you should *always* ask first.
>> It's just common courtesy (which is, sadly, not so common at all these
>> days).
>
>Agreed. I usually leave my LFT off unless specifically looking for a
>team, but I'm certainly not above joining one if asked. Last night I was
>soloing in some door missions and received a tell asking if I was
>interested in doing some 30-31 missions when I was done. Since I was
>close to levelling (~60K or so) I thought it would be a great idea and
>joined the team after I finished the mission.
>
>Unfortunately, the team ended up consisting of 4 ~30's and 4 < 15's,
>which made me leave (I've *rarely* seen a 50/50 SK team do well in ++30
>missions, but that's another thread)

Depending on the makeup of the team and the skill of the player it could
work.

I was actually part of a similar teamup - me, at that point level 6,
with 1 real attack, the person i'd been chatting with, who was something
like 32, and the person whose mission it was who was 34 and sk'd me.

For all my limitations I was able to contribute rather well, since the
middle person was a fire/rad controller and buffed/healed me.

Of course when she died and later on when she had to leave, that left me
somewhat weaker and contributing less.
When CoT earth mages are hitting you, lack of healing is really bad.

It was rather surprising to me that someone as limited as my level 6
COULD actually contribute rather well. Not as good as a higher level
obviously, but I wasn't leeching.

Xocyll

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:52:38 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

> Incorrect. There are three states: LFT, default, hidden. If you
> really don't want to team up, use the last one. (Also, I will
> readily agree that blind invites sent to a hidden player /are/
> rude.)

Unfortunately, "hidden" also means "doesn't show up on your friends or
supergroup list". Which means a lot of people don't want to use that
because it interferes with their being in touch with their
friends. (i.e. someone who they *would* want to team with might be
looking for a partner, but not know that they're on because they're
hidden)

(It could also lead to the awkward situation where two members of a
supergroup start talking about a hidden member behind his back,
entirely unaware that he is lurking there and listening.)

Sure, if I'm not set LFT I might still be amenable to teaming up. But
I might not be, too. And in the absense of a signal that I am *FOR
CERTAIN* willing to team up, the assumption should be that I am *NOT*.
That's what an opt-in system is all about. Otherwise, why even have
the signal that I am *FOR CERTAIN* looking for a team at all if anyone
can be equally assumed to be looking for a team?

But you know, they don't have to remain in the dark about whether I'm
looking for a team at all. They can *ask* me. And I can say yes or
no. Hell, it doesn't even have to be all that hard. Let the would-be
inviter do something like

/macro inv "tell $target, Hi...want to join a team and do some
missions? I'm a level $level $origin $archetype."

and all he has to do is point and click.

Making an invitation screen pop up in front of me while I might be in
the middle of fighting for my life is terribly rude.
--

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113578948.463240.35600
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Robotech_Master wrote:
>>
>> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's?
>> Ah well, at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can
>> put an "ask before inviting" in their comment field or
>> something.)
>>

> It's nice to see that there is going to be something to look forward to
> in I4 for those of us who don't care about PvP. I actually like CoH's
> teaming features a lot (I don't think any other MMO has SK'ing or
> Exemp'ing), and having a little ionformation text that shows up in the
> /sea window will make it that much nicer.

From lurking in the ag.eq ng, it sounds like EQII has recently put
something like this in. DOn't know how close to SK/Exemp it is though. I
think that they call it Mentoring...

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/