Replying to invites?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:02:10 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

>> The fact that someone invites me to a team when I am flagged as NOT
>> looking for team proves that they are either too stupid to risk teaming
>> with, or too self-centered to be trusted in combat. So at least it is
>> somewhat useful, to filter out the bad players.
>
>Good grief! This argument is full of hidden assumptions and circular
>reasoning. Here's a simple counter-argument: A couple weeks ago, I was
>invited to the best pick-up team I've ever worked with, via blind
>invite. That conclusively disproves your statement.

Not at all. That only proves that the statement isn't 100%. However,
it is, more often than not, right on the money.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in

> Zoiks! wrote:
>>> Playing a co-operative multi-player game means you should expect
>>> that playing with others is the norm...
>
> Magnus Itland wrote:
>> The existence of a LFT button proves that the developers of CoH
>> disagree with you.
>
> It proves no such thing. Indeed, the fact that you can /invite
> players even when they aren't advertising LFT suggests just the
> opposite.

If I'm on as either my scrapper or defender (both 50's) I think that
I have enough experience and skill to survive most of the stuff that
I can do solo.

If I want to see what's out there to do with others, then I'll either
watch the broadcast/request channels, or I'll put 'LFT' flag on.

If I get a blind inivite, I'll ask (politely) what I can do for them.

If I get a tell before hand, then I do not consider it a blind
invite.

If I want to interact with others, it is my choice.......not theirs.

That is a fundemental principal of The Constitution of The United
States, and it's accompanying Bill of Rights.

It is up to me, as an individual, if I want the 'LFT' flag on or off.

If you want a real world example, the 'privacy please' door hanger
for hotel rooms, but in CoH's case it is ON (privacy) be default.

So, unless I take the sign down, even hotel maids know not to knock.

Yes, this is a MMORPG......big deal.....Statesman himself has says it
is acceptable for people to solo.....and I know people that have
solo'd all the way to 50.

Did they miss out on TF and Trials? They don't think so, as a few of
them have multiple characters.

Has anyone looked at the new 'LFT' choices on TEST? Even the
developers have considered that not everyone wants to team, and are
allowing choices in team menus.

Blind Invite = Rude.

By the way, I realized now that I have missed most of the argruments
on this thread, because I have one of the posters in my 'plonk'
settings.

And I feel good about that too.

wrote:

> Magnus Itland wrote:
>> It's how good players use the feature. The people who think of
>> everyone else as NPCs made to do their bidding will of course ignore
>> my stated wish of not being invited.
>
> Leaving LFT off is not a stated wish. And you have not even established
> the existence of these "people who think of everyone else as NPCs," let
> alone shown that they're common. You're assigning motives to other
> people without justification, and then using that as the basis for an
> argument. Ad hominem fallacy doesn't get much more blatant than that.

How is setting a toggle flag not a statement of intent? How is
disregarding such a statement not an expression of a self-centered
attitude? This does not make sense to me. If the toggle was not to send a
message to other players, it would not be there in the first place. If the
players don't react to the message, they better have a really good reason
for it or I find it condescending at least.

>> The fact that someone invites me to a team when I am flagged as NOT
>> looking for team proves that they are either too stupid to risk teaming
>> with, or too self-centered to be trusted in combat. So at least it is
>> somewhat useful, to filter out the bad players.
>
> Good grief! This argument is full of hidden assumptions and circular
> reasoning. Here's a simple counter-argument: A couple weeks ago, I was
> invited to the best pick-up team I've ever worked with, via blind
> invite. That conclusively disproves your statement.

It is a question of whether I am willing to take the risk of teaming with
people who seem to play without a full deck. I generally don't take that
kind of risk. I also like to extricate myself from people who don't use
real English (except in the heat of battle, of course) and people who
start to fire off random emotes if forced to wait for half a minute. It is
not foolproof, but it eliminates a lot of fools and the debt they tended
to give me.

It's not like this is an attitude I got from my nanny or Sunday School. It
is based on harsh experience from the beta onward. There are exceptions
for sure, but not nearly enough to recover the debt. I am surprised if
your experience differs from mine (you've been here long enough that I am
sure you have experience). Lucky you.

good sign." -G

J Anlee wrote:
> If I want to see what's out there to do with others, then I'll either
> watch the broadcast/request channels, or I'll put 'LFT' flag on.
>
> If I get a blind inivite, I'll ask (politely) what I can do for them.

Same here.

> If I want to interact with others, it is my choice.......not theirs.

You can't stop people from talking to you, but you can ignore them.

> That is a fundemental principal of The Constitution of The United
> States, and it's accompanying Bill of Rights.

This is not really relevant, even if it were true.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Magnus Itland wrote:
> How is setting a toggle flag not a statement of intent?

It's not a statement at all. Turning LFT on is a statement. Leaving it
off is mere silence. You'd have a better case if LFT were the default
and turning it off required action.

> How is disregarding such a statement not an expression of a
> self-centered attitude?

Note that the game does not inform you of the target's LFT status when
you /invite somebody. That information only shows up on the search page,
so if a player invites you from line-of-sight or a friends list, they
will never see your LFT flag.

Therefore, there are multiple ways to /invite somebody without ever
seeing this "so-called" statement. The actual game design simply does
not support your impression of it.

> This does not make sense to me. If the toggle was not to send a
> message to other players, it would not be there in the first place

If the toggle is supposed to "send a message," you'd think it would
actually /send a message/, but it doesn't.

>>> The fact that someone invites me to a team when I am flagged as NOT
>>> looking for team proves that they are either too stupid to risk
>>> teaming with, or too self-centered to be trusted in combat. So at
>>> least it is somewhat useful, to filter out the bad players.

>> Good grief! This argument is full of hidden assumptions and circular
>> reasoning. Here's a simple counter-argument: A couple weeks ago, I
>> was invited to the best pick-up team I've ever worked with, via blind
>> invite. That conclusively disproves your statement.

> It is a question of whether I am willing to take the risk of teaming
> with people who seem to play without a full deck ....

This isn't much better. Yes, there's a risk that somebody who sends a
blind invite will turn out to be an idiot. There's also a significant
risk that somebody who /tells for teammates will be an idiot. You really
can't tell until you're in a mission.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Dark Tyger wrote:
> Others do think they're rude. And try being a regen scrapper ....

One of my mains /is/ a regen scrapper. Of my three main toons, only the
invul/SS tanker gets a substantial number of blind /invites, and most of
those have turned out well.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:29:01 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

>Bradd wrote:
>>> [Blind invites] aren't all that frequent in my experience, and I
>>> don't think they're particularly rude, so hopefully you can see why I
>>> don't take your conclusions seriously.
>
>Dark Tyger wrote:
>> Others do think they're rude. And try being a regen scrapper ....
>
>One of my mains /is/ a regen scrapper. Of my three main toons, only the
>invul/SS tanker gets a substantial number of blind /invites, and most of
>those have turned out well.

Well, then, either you're lying about the blind invites being rare on
your regen scrapper or you've somehow gotten a reputation as an ass
and even the idiots don't wanna associate with you. The only other
possibility is you've been -EXTREMELY- lucky.

--

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:29:01 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

>>Dark Tyger wrote:
>>> Others do think they're rude. And try being a regen scrapper ....
>>
>>One of my mains /is/ a regen scrapper. Of my three main toons, only the
>>invul/SS tanker gets a substantial number of blind /invites, and most of
>>those have turned out well.
>
> Well, then, either you're lying about the blind invites being rare on
> your regen scrapper or you've somehow gotten a reputation as an ass
> and even the idiots don't wanna associate with you. The only other
> possibility is you've been -EXTREMELY- lucky.

Sigh. He's not lying because *I've* got a regen/spines scrapper and the
blind invites certainly aren't flying about willy nilly. I've asked a few
other regen scrapper friends about this on Champion as well, since this
thread started and they don't see the same problem you do.

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

Marc Bissonnette wrote:

>>>One of my mains /is/ a regen scrapper. Of my three main toons, only the
>>>invul/SS tanker gets a substantial number of blind /invites, and most of
>>>those have turned out well.
>>
>> Well, then, either you're lying about the blind invites being rare on
>> your regen scrapper or you've somehow gotten a reputation as an ass
>> and even the idiots don't wanna associate with you. The only other
>> possibility is you've been -EXTREMELY- lucky.
>
> Sigh. He's not lying because *I've* got a regen/spines scrapper and the
> blind invites certainly aren't flying about willy nilly.

Ditto.

eg, I was in CoH for....(quick count)...about 28 hours this weekend, all
as my Regen Scrapper and I got a total count of 0 (zero) blind invites.

I was probably teamed for a lot of that time, true, so I suppose I should
allow for the chance that people were trying and failing.

But I've probably had a total of 5 blind invites in 41 levels.

--
| Victory Server: Global chat handle: @JohnP |
| Brother Grim - Level 41 Scrapper (Broadsword/Regeneration) |

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:30:28 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
<dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

> I don't mind blind invites - I really don't - LFT on or not. What bugs
> me (this happened this weekend) was that I got a blind invite and I
> declined - I was 100 xp from levelling and I just wanted to get it and
> log off for the night. The twit blind invited twice, then sent a tell
> saying "Wait! Hold up!" Ignored it.
> Another tell "Please join our team. We really NEED you" (I was playing
> an empathy defender). I replied with "I don't have my LFT flag on AND I
> declined your team invite". Twit replies back with "But PLEASE - we
> really need you on our team!"
>
> Sigh.
>
> /ignore twitname

This is exactly what I mean by people treating you like an NPC. It's just
an extreme example.

> One blind invite from a player I don't mind. After all, not having the
> LFT flag isn't an explicit statement that you DON'T want to team (else
> you wouldn't be able to invite the person, period - an oversight on the
> devs side, since there should be a flag specifically for "no teaming"),
> but multiple invites from the same person ? Gimme a break.

It is not a design flaw. For instance if my tanker does not log on at the
exact same second as the defender I usually duo with every evening, the
first of us is very specifically not interested in invites from random
people all over the nearest five zones, only from each other. Similarly,
others may want invites only from their supergroup members. It should not
be necessary to /hide somewhere far away from people for others to realize
that we are not interested. If we wanted to team, we would "seek team".

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:30:28 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
> <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't mind blind invites - I really don't - LFT on or not. What
>> bugs me (this happened this weekend) was that I got a blind invite
>> and I declined - I was 100 xp from levelling and I just wanted to get
>> it and log off for the night. The twit blind invited twice, then sent
>> a tell saying "Wait! Hold up!" Ignored it.
>> Another tell "Please join our team. We really NEED you" (I was
>> playing an empathy defender). I replied with "I don't have my LFT
>> flag on AND I declined your team invite". Twit replies back with "But
>> PLEASE - we really need you on our team!"
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> /ignore twitname
>
> This is exactly what I mean by people treating you like an NPC. It's
> just an extreme example.
>
>> One blind invite from a player I don't mind. After all, not having
>> the LFT flag isn't an explicit statement that you DON'T want to team
>> (else you wouldn't be able to invite the person, period - an
>> oversight on the devs side, since there should be a flag specifically
>> for "no teaming"), but multiple invites from the same person ? Gimme
>> a break.
>
> It is not a design flaw. For instance if my tanker does not log on at
> the exact same second as the defender I usually duo with every
> evening, the first of us is very specifically not interested in
> invites from random people all over the nearest five zones, only from
> each other. Similarly, others may want invites only from their
> supergroup members. It should not be necessary to /hide somewhere far
> away from people for others to realize that we are not interested. If
> we wanted to team, we would "seek team".

Sure, but I think the changing of the seek team option could satisfy many
more people if a third option were added so that it ended up with:

[ ]Seeking Team [ ]Soloing (no invites) [ ]No preference
or even add a fourth:
[ ]Seek team from friends / SG only

(Actually, the "No preference", or current default, is unneeded, since
not depressing any of the other three would indicate no seek status.)

--

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:16:14 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye <bradd+news@szonye.com>
wrote:
> Magnus Itland wrote:

>> It is a question of whether I am willing to take the risk of teaming
>> with people who seem to play without a full deck ....
>
> This isn't much better. Yes, there's a risk that somebody who sends a
> blind invite will turn out to be an idiot. There's also a significant
> risk that somebody who /tells for teammates will be an idiot. You really
> can't tell until you're in a mission.

I'm sorry but I flat out disbelive this. There are a bunch of symptoms
which give a pretty good hint that someone is better avoided. Not
bothering to /tell, not bothering to write readable English, name or
jargon that belongs to a different RPG... all these are flashing signs on
the way to pointless debt and frustration. If these people generally turn
out all right for you, you have the luck of the Irish.

I think this really is the heart of the argument. I am full of prejudice,
you are not. It makes me a somewhat bad person, but it saves me a lot of
trouble.

good sign." -G

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:43:09 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
wrote:

>I'm sorry but I flat out disbelive this. There are a bunch of symptoms
>which give a pretty good hint that someone is better avoided. Not
>bothering to /tell, not bothering to write readable English, name or
>jargon that belongs to a different RPG...

....wait, -name- that belongs in a different RPG? How do you determine
what RPG a name "belongs in"?

--

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:16:14 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>> Magnus Itland wrote:
>
>>> It is a question of whether I am willing to take the risk of teaming
>>> with people who seem to play without a full deck ....
>>
>> This isn't much better. Yes, there's a risk that somebody who sends a
>> blind invite will turn out to be an idiot. There's also a significant
>> risk that somebody who /tells for teammates will be an idiot. You
>> really can't tell until you're in a mission.
>
> I'm sorry but I flat out disbelive this. There are a bunch of symptoms
> which give a pretty good hint that someone is better avoided. Not
> bothering to /tell, not bothering to write readable English, name or
> jargon that belongs to a different RPG... all these are flashing signs
> on the way to pointless debt and frustration. If these people
> generally turn out all right for you, you have the luck of the Irish.
>
> I think this really is the heart of the argument. I am full of
> prejudice, you are not. It makes me a somewhat bad person, but it
> saves me a lot of trouble.

You forgot to add cynicism :)

I've seen my share of blind invites (but certainly not to the extent that
DT is ranting about), but there is no overwhelming proof that a failure
to send a tell before hand (which *is* still the more polite thing to do)
indicates an idiot.

Of course, unless I'm already in the mood for a team, I'll give a tell
preferential treatment before a blind invite, but I have joined pickup
groups from blind invites where the team has been well coordinated,
mature and a lot of fun.

Some people are just plain *shy* to initiate a conversation with someone
who isn't in a team. Hell, I've been on teams where there's been *zero*
conversation, yet the playing was just fine.

Human beings are vastly different and unique creatures. It means there
are no constants of behaviour.

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
> ...wait, -name- that belongs in a different RPG? How do you determine
> what RPG a name "belongs in"?

You're free to tell me where any Star Wars, Star Trek, or other media sf
name belongs in CoH.

I'd look askance at most really elfy-welfy names; sure, there's a Magic
component, but we're short on Middle-Earthian elements otherwise.

I'm not crazy about excessively mech-warrior names, either. Or names
closely tied to any other game.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:55:14 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>> ...wait, -name- that belongs in a different RPG? How do you determine
>> what RPG a name "belongs in"?
>
>You're free to tell me where any Star Wars, Star Trek, or other media sf
>name belongs in CoH.
>
>I'd look askance at most really elfy-welfy names; sure, there's a Magic
>component, but we're short on Middle-Earthian elements otherwise.
>
>I'm not crazy about excessively mech-warrior names, either. Or names
>closely tied to any other game.

Well, if you're talking names lifted straight from those
games/movies/etc, then, yeah, they don't belong. Not because they're
out of place in the game so much as because they're blatant ripoffs
and against the rules. My impression was you might've been referring
to simply fantasy themed names... While possibly uncommon, they do
occur in superhero comics and, thus, "belong" in CoH as much as any
other name.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

John Parkinson wrote...

> >> Well, then, either you're lying about the blind invites being rare on
> >> your regen scrapper or you've somehow gotten a reputation as an ass
> >> and even the idiots don't wanna associate with you. The only other
> >> possibility is you've been -EXTREMELY- lucky.
> >
> > Sigh. He's not lying because *I've* got a regen/spines scrapper and the
> > blind invites certainly aren't flying about willy nilly.
>
> Ditto.
>
> eg, I was in CoH for....(quick count)...about 28 hours this weekend, all
> as my Regen Scrapper and I got a total count of 0 (zero) blind invites.
>
> I was probably teamed for a lot of that time, true, so I suppose I should
> allow for the chance that people were trying and failing.
>
> But I've probably had a total of 5 blind invites in 41 levels.

I also rarely get blind invites with my 41 bs/regen on guardian, or my
34 spines/regen on pinnacle.

Zoiks!

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:22:38 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:

>John Parkinson wrote...

>> > Sigh. He's not lying because *I've* got a regen/spines scrapper and the
>> > blind invites certainly aren't flying about willy nilly.
>>
>> Ditto.
>>
>> eg, I was in CoH for....(quick count)...about 28 hours this weekend, all
>> as my Regen Scrapper and I got a total count of 0 (zero) blind invites.
>>
>> I was probably teamed for a lot of that time, true, so I suppose I should
>> allow for the chance that people were trying and failing.
>>
>> But I've probably had a total of 5 blind invites in 41 levels.
>
>I also rarely get blind invites with my 41 bs/regen on guardian, or my
>34 spines/regen on pinnacle.

Well, I guess the question is how much time do you spend soloing? If
you solo infrequently, then the blind invite problem doesn't seem as
bad. Especially if you don't solo often during peak hours...

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Dark Tyger wrote...
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:12:12 -0700, Dark Tyger
> <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:16:59 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Yeah...because sending a team invite is just like punching someone...
> >
> >Equivalently, yeah, it is. An unexpected team invite can lead to debt
> >very fast in a rough fight.

I can't believe you won't let go of this insane analogy...

> Just found another such nastiness with blind invites: Playing my
> Warshade, it's the first time I've made heavy use of TP to travel. A
> confirm window out of the blue in the middle of the screen can easily
> lead to a 300 ft swan dive into a pack of purples. (Khelds cannot take
> the flight pool, so there's no safety net of Hover on the Warshade
> teleport)

You have about 3 seconds after teleporting before you start falling,
unless your computer is lagging badly. You couldn't click no, move the
window, or click around it in that time?

Regardless, these annoyances aren't even specific to having the seek
team button off. You could be seeking a team and have the exact same
thing happen...Are you saying that a blind invite while seeking a team
is rude?

Zoiks!

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:23:08 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:

>Dark Tyger wrote...
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:12:12 -0700, Dark Tyger
>> <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>> >Equivalently, yeah, it is. An unexpected team invite can lead to debt
>> >very fast in a rough fight.
>
>I can't believe you won't let go of this insane analogy...

I can't believe you're too hung up on the severity of the analogy to
see the point. Analogies are often inflated in scale to make the
point. That makes the point no less valid.

>> Just found another such nastiness with blind invites: Playing my
>> Warshade, it's the first time I've made heavy use of TP to travel. A
>> confirm window out of the blue in the middle of the screen can easily
>> lead to a 300 ft swan dive into a pack of purples. (Khelds cannot take
>> the flight pool, so there's no safety net of Hover on the Warshade
>> teleport)
>
>You have about 3 seconds after teleporting before you start falling,
>unless your computer is lagging badly. You couldn't click no, move the
>window, or click around it in that time?

When I'm trying to navigate to a specific point, I often can't even
place the destination before I start to drop. And, no, it doesn't take
bad lag. Even slight lag can cause you to drop without distractions.
Taking an extra second on top of that to clear out the window or find
a valid destination point around it could lead to eating pavement
before the power fires up to the point where you won't take falling
damage.

>Regardless, these annoyances aren't even specific to having the seek
>team button off. You could be seeking a team and have the exact same
>thing happen...Are you saying that a blind invite while seeking a team
>is rude?

Normally people aren't diving into thick fights or traveling heavily
while they're LFT. Even so, since they've opened the invitation to
receive invites, no, not's not rude.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:23:08 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:

>Are you saying that a blind invite while seeking a team
>is rude?

I'd also like to note that if you have seek team on, no invites are
blind. Blind invites refer to random, completely unsolicited invites.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Magnus Itland wrote...
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:22:37 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:
>
> > Playing a co-operative multi-player game means you should expect that
> > playing with others is the norm...
>
> The existence of a LFT button proves that the developers of CoH disagree
> with you.

The seek team button is just a simpler, and more universal, way of
broadcasting 'looking for a team'...

> Your statement may be valid in any number of multiplayer games that do not
> have two distinct states of presenting yourself: LFT and not-LFT. CoH
> has. This is not an accident. This is the design of the game.

There is one distinct state, looking for a team. Not clicking on seek
team, or clicking stop seek, leaves you in the default, ambiguous state.
You apparently perceive this as 'do not want to team', I perceive it as
'might be willing to team'. But the fact that you can be invited and
are still listed in the search menu would seem to imply my perception is
closer to that of the devlopers than yours.

> Furthermore, soloing has been acknowledged as legitimate from the
> pre-alpha phase of the game. I read the boards back then. I remember.

Being able to solo does not mean soloing is the intended norm. And in
fact quite a few design elements support my belief that they want
teaming to be the norm.

> This is not a generic MMOG. This is CoH. The special case supercedes the
> general case.

Show me where the developers have said solo play is meant to be more
common than teaming.

Zoiks!

Robotech_Master wrote...
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:16:59 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah...because sending a team invite is just like punching someone...
>
> As things currently work, it is capable of getting one killed if it
> happens at the wrong moment. Maybe it doesn't *always* harm them,
> but then, punching someone in the face doesn't *always* harm them
> either. That's no reason to make either punching someone in the face
> *or* blind invites okay.

Most people send invites with the intent of teaming with the invitee,
not annoying them. Most people punching others in the face are intent
on hurting them.

> > Team invites can be annoying, but that's not the intent of the
> > design, and generally it isn't the intent of the inviter.
>
> Maybe not the intent, but as things stand, that's how it now works.
>
> > The interface could use a lot of improvement, but the idea that it
> > should be made more troublesome to form a team because of people
> > who would rather play solo in a MMORPG is nuts.
>
> "Troublesome"? How is "/tell $target,Hi, I'm looking to do
> <whatever>, would you like to join up?" "troublesome" by any
> reasonable definition of the word? I suppose you could consider it
> troublesome if you weren't a good typist, but even a bad typist can
> hunt and peck long enough to set a macro.

A team invite is the same thing as '/tell $target, Hi, would you like to
team with me?', just greatly simplified and less personal. It is
troublesome to force the inviter to type it out. Not to any great
degree, but needlessly so.

Now if you're saying you want more information, then I agree, but we
have to work with what we have. Expecting everyone to send detailed
tells before sending an otherwise legitimate invite is impractical. And
calling them rude, or worse, when they don't is silly.

Zoiks!

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:23:59 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:

>A team invite is the same thing as '/tell $target, Hi, would you like to
>team with me?',

No, no it's not. A tell can be ignored or dealt with at your leisure
without interfering in any way with what you're doing. A team invite
is intrusive, require active effort to remove. Since YOU are the one
wanting something of ME, yes, the extra effort belongs on YOUR end.

--

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> Ditto. Sometimes I wish there was a way to /ignore twitname+every
> character associated with the underlying account.

With the new global chat, isn't that an option?? I know (or at least I
think I know) that there is a global ignore tab in the window.

--
Marcel and Moogli