Question RGB fans not lighting up or spinning, fan headers not working.

Mar 4, 2023
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread
I recently just built a new pc, and everything was plugged in correctly and I made sure of it. But, when I turned it on only the rgb from the ram worked. No fan spins, rgb or etc.

I have a

CPU: RYZEN 5 5500
Motherboard: x570 aurous elite used
Ram: trident z 16GB
SSD/HDD: 500GB western
GPU: 3060 TI used
PSU: 550W Thermaltake smart series

i have not booted yet due to these things, and I tried but it only black screened me.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
We can move forward from there. As for your build, did you try breadboarding first to verify everything was in good order out of the box?

Mar 4, 2023

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
Motherboard: x570 aurous elite
GPU: 3060 TI
PSU: 550W

We can move forward from there. As for your build, did you try breadboarding first to verify everything was in good order out of the box?

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Hello! Some of the parts were used, but they looked perfectly fine.

Lutfij

Titan
Some of the parts were used, but they looked perfectly fine.
Which were they? Also, if you're recycling parts, please mention which ones were recycled form an older build.

550W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. Please mention the make and model of the unit.

Mar 4, 2023

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Some of the parts were used, but they looked perfectly fine.
Which were they? Also, if you're recycling parts, please mention which ones were recycled form an older build.

550W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. Please mention the make and model of the unit.
The motherboard and gpu.

Lutfij

Titan
PSU: 550W Thermaltake
550W is the advertised wattage of the unit while Thermaltake is the brand of the unit.

You seem to be answering only when I've badgered you with the same questions, if you don't want me to assist you with troubleshooting, it'd help if you'd say it.

Mar 4, 2023
550W is the advertised wattage of the unit while Thermaltake is the brand of the unit.

You seem to be answering only when I've badgered you with the same questions, if you don't want me to assist you with troubleshooting, it'd help if you'd say it.
I just don’t understand, new to pc building.

Mar 4, 2023

I really do need help troubleshooting!

DSzymborski

Titan
Now that you've answered the question (in the original post without any notice to people that you've added the information), the SMART series is pure junk (Thermaltake TR2 and SMART PSUs are ones you either have an office PC or you send it to a recycling center).

Do you actually know this GPU works? A used GPU on a new build with a junk PSU and no integrated graphics means there's a lot of possibilities in play. Do you have a friend with a known working GPU you can borrow? That is, once you don't have this PSU; if I loaned you any GPU I that I cared about and found out you powered it on a Thermaltake SMART PSU, there would be a serious hiccup in our friendship.

Reactions: Lutfij
Mar 4, 2023
Now that you've answered the question (in the original post without any notice to people that you've added the information), the SMART series is pure junk (Thermaltake TR2 and SMART PSUs are ones you either have an office PC or you send it to a recycling center).

Do you actually know this GPU works? A used GPU on a new build with a junk PSU and no integrated graphics means there's a lot of possibilities in play. Do you have a friend with a known working GPU you can borrow? That is, once you don't have this PSU; if I loaned you any GPU I that I cared about and found out you powered it on a Thermaltake SMART PSU, there would be a serious hiccup in our friendship.
The GPU definitely works, it works in 2 other builds. I also have switched out the thermal[redacted vulgarity]take and put in evga nova 650 PSU, and the issue is still reaccuring.

I’ve read multiple threads and it seems this motherboard is very popular with this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2023
I recently just built a new pc, and everything was plugged in correctly and I made sure of it. But, when I turned it on only the rgb from the ram worked. No fan spins, rgb or etc. I tried booting up to bios and nothing turned on. I have tried 2 different PSU’s, and the GPU works perfectly in other pc’s as well as the CPU being brand new and seated correctly. I don’t know what else to do.

Motherboard: x570 aurous elite used
GPU: 3060 TI used
PSU: 550W Thermaltake smart series

i have not booted yet due to these things, and I tried but it only black screened me.

Lutfij

Titan
You can't expect us to magically help you without answering the questions you've been asked, which is why I was questioning your intention to resolve your own issue as it seems you couldn't be bothered to answer what we're asking/suggesting you do to get you out of the woods. Troubleshooting isn't about pointing a finger and hoping that what you pointed to is the culprit all along. Instead you go through a checklist of things until you're left with the last possible conclusion.

I own that exact board as well as an X570 Aorus Elite AX. It is ON my test bench RIGHT NOW. I've also WORKED with that board model in at least three or four other builds, and none of them have had ANY problems like yours regardless of what other hardware was used with it. Multiple graphics cards. Multiple NVME drives. Multiple SSDs. Various CPU models. It is NOT a "board model" problem. That doesn't mean YOU might not have a bad board or something, but you can just stop thinking that it somehow has to do with the model of board.

MUCH more likely is the fact that you have a USED board, and I'm willing to bet you probably also have no idea whatsoever about it's history, potential abuse, WHY they sold it in the first place, etc.

WHERE did the board come from? Somebody you know WELL or some third party off Facebook, Craigslist, Ebay, etc. that means you have absolutely zero idea why they were selling it in the first place? That would be my guess. Chances are good this board was being sold BECAUSE it had problems, and you simply helped them to buy a new board to replace the one they probably carelessly caused some kind of damage to. Maybe not, but having done this for a long time, when I see "used" and the kinds of problems you are seeing, it is almost ALWAYS the case.

Also, the Ryzen 5500 is not even supported on that motherboard until BIOS version F36, which is not an early release. It came out TWO YEARS after that board was originally released and if it was not updated to F36 or newer then it does not support the Ryzen 5500, at least, not fully, and potentially not at all. Really need to use a CPU that you KNOW is supported on that board without having one of the newer BIOS versions installed, to see if it will POST then and then make sure the BIOS is updated enough for it to even support that CPU.

That might require borrowing a CPU, buying a cheap 3xxx series CPU used or taking it to a repair shop that has a CPU that can be used to determine if that is the problem and get the BIOS updated for you IF it isn't simply a matter of a craptastic failed used motherboard that you bought without seeing it work in front of you, if you didn't.

Also need to make sure you are plugging your monitor cables into the graphics card and not the motherboard video outputs, because those are never going to work with that CPU installed since it does not have integrated graphics. Very easy to forget that the display cables need to go to the card and not the board. Seen plenty of veteran builders brain fart that more than once.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023
Also, the Ryzen 5500 is not even supported on that motherboard until BIOS version F36, which is not an early release. It came out TWO YEARS after that board was originally released and if it was not updated to F36 or newer then it does not support the Ryzen 5500, at least, not fully, and potentially not at all. Really need to use a CPU that you KNOW is supported on that board without having one of the newer BIOS versions installed, to see if it will POST then and then make sure the BIOS is updated enough for it to even support that CPU.

That might require borrowing a CPU, buying a cheap 3xxx series CPU used or taking it to a repair shop that has a CPU that can be used to determine if that is the problem and get the BIOS updated for you IF it isn't simply a matter of a craptastic failed used motherboard that you bought without seeing it work in front of you, if you didn't.

Also need to make sure you are plugging your monitor cables into the graphics card and not the motherboard video outputs, because those are never going to work with that CPU installed since it does not have integrated graphics. Very easy to forget that the display cables need to go to the card and not the board. Seen plenty of veteran builders brain fart that more than once.
I have a extra cpu to switch out on, and I bought the motherboard of hardware swap, and if it was dead wouldn’t the ram not light up?

The fans won’t even spin or start on any components or turn on, that’s what I’m scared about. I’m going to go ahead and try switching the cpu, and see if anything turns on.

What else should I do?

if it was dead wouldn’t the ram not light up?
You're not serious with that, right? I mean, I would HOPE anybody attempting to fix or work on their own system would completely understand that on practically ANY electronic component you can 100% have parts of it that work and parts of it that do not, when something fails. There are multiple separate subsystems on any given motherboard. Multiple 12v systems. 3.3v systems. 5v systems. And ANY of them could work while all the others do not, or all of them could work, while one of them does not. Or all of them can work, but one of them has "problems". Or anything up to or in between any of those scenarios. It's not a light bulb where it either works or it doesn't. Motherboards are INCREDIBLY complex components with dozens and dozens of independent systems on them. There is never a guarantee of works or doesn't. That is what makes them difficult to diagnose much of the time.

What is the model of the "extra" CPU you have? What is IT'S history? Is it 100% known functional because you just had it in another functioning system or is it another "bought it used and have never seen it work" situation?

As to what you should do, you should answer the questions that people here have been asking, EXACTLY as asked, and then follow the recommendations that have or will be offered so that you can progress towards figuring out what the MOST LIKELY problem is. Sometimes there are just no guarantees without throwing parts at a problem but you can eliminate a lot of stuff before you get to that point by answering questions, listening and following directions. In the end, you have that option or the option to take it to a shop where they know how to diagnose hardware. That's pretty much your options as to what you can do.

Also, aside from the "Smart series" power supply, what is the "other"model you tried? And how old is that unit? Was it "used" as well? EXACTLY which parts in the WHOLE build are "used" and exactly which parts are new?

If the "evga nova 650" is the other PSU you are talking about, what is the ACTUAL model of that unit, because that is NOT a model. That is a very limited description of a series of power supplies that stretches back ten years or so, includes dozens of models and series and happens to also include some very good and some incredibly horrific power supply models, so saying "EVGA", "Supernova" or "650w" literally means about as much as saying "food" when somebody asks what's for dinner.

Mar 4, 2023
You're not serious with that, right? I mean, I would HOPE anybody attempting to fix or work on their own system would completely understand that on practically ANY electronic component you can 100% have parts of it that work and parts of it that do not, when something fails. There are multiple separate subsystems on any given motherboard. Multiple 12v systems. 3.3v systems. 5v systems. And ANY of them could work while all the others do not, or all of them could work, while one of them does not. Or all of them can work, but one of them has "problems". Or anything up to or in between any of those scenarios. It's not a light bulb where it either works or it doesn't. Motherboards are INCREDIBLY complex components with dozens and dozens of independent systems on them. There is never a guarantee of works or doesn't. That is what makes them difficult to diagnose much of the time.

What is the model of the "extra" CPU you have? What is IT'S history? Is it 100% known functional because you just had it in another functioning system or is it another "bought it used and have never seen it work" situation?

As to what you should do, you should answer the questions that people here have been asking, EXACTLY as asked, and then follow the recommendations that have or will be offered so that you can progress towards figuring out what the MOST LIKELY problem is. Sometimes there are just no guarantees without throwing parts at a problem but you can eliminate a lot of stuff before you get to that point by answering questions, listening and following directions. In the end, you have that option or the option to take it to a shop where they know how to diagnose hardware. That's pretty much your options as to what you can do.
I have switched it to a used ryzen 5 3600, and it works perfectly fine. I understand, not trying to be hard headed but just very worried.

I also have tried another mobo, MSI b450 wifi, and the same issue is still happening.

What’s your opinion?

So if it will POST with a Ryzen 5 3600 installed, but won't with the Ryzen 5500 installed, and the Ryzen 5500 won't work in a different motherboard, answer seems really fracking simple doesn't it?

There are two options here. Either both the X570 and B450 boards do not have a new enough BIOS version installed to support the Ryzen 5500, which, if you can POST with the Ryzen 3600 you should easily be able to answer by going into the BIOS and looking to see what the current BIOS version IS on each of these boards, OR you got a faulty CPU from wherever you ordered it from.

If the BIOS on that X570 Aorus elite is F36 or newer, then you bought a faulty CPU.

Mar 4, 2023
So if it will POST with a Ryzen 5 3600 installed, but won't with the Ryzen 5500 installed, and the Ryzen 5500 won't work in a different motherboard, answer seems really fracking simple doesn't it?

There are two options here. Either both the X570 and B450 boards do not have a new enough BIOS version installed to support the Ryzen 5500, which, if you can POST with the Ryzen 3600 you should easily be able to answer by going into the BIOS and looking to see what the current BIOS version IS on each of these boards, OR you got a faulty CPU from wherever you ordered it from.

If the BIOS on that X570 Aorus elite is F36 or newer, then you bought a faulty CPU.
Neither of them post, and nothing turns on at all except the RBG from the ram.

The 3600 works perfectly fine in a different system, not the b450 or aurous elite, sorry I should’ve stated it.

Nothing turns on and no fans spin at all still, just the ram.

You just said you switched to a Ryzen 3600 and it works perfectly fine. Should be a bit clearer next time. Details matter.

So, have you EVER seen either this B450 or X570 board actually work, at any point, ever? And did you buy BOTH of these boards used from somewhere?

And have you TRIED the Ryzen 5500 in the system that the "3600 works perfectly fine in"? Because if you have not, I would think that would be the next step. Pretty unlikely that the CPU would be inclined to cause any damage in that system since we already know the 3600 that works doesn't work in either of these two other boards. Make sure the BIOS in the system the 3600 works in is up to date with a version that will support the Ryzen 5500, and try the 5500 in that system. Obviously, if it works, then the two boards you have are faulty. If it doesn't, then maybe all three are faulty. This is why buying used hardware is a fools game 90% of the time.

Mar 4, 2023
You just said you switched to a Ryzen 3600 and it works perfectly fine. Should be a bit clearer next time. Details matter.

So, have you EVER seen either this B450 or X570 board actually work, at any point, ever? And did you buy BOTH of these boards used from somewhere?

And have you TRIED the Ryzen 5500 in the system that the "3600 works perfectly fine in"? Because if you have not, I would think that would be the next step. Pretty unlikely that the CPU would be inclined to cause any damage in that system since we already know the 3600 that works doesn't work in either of these two other boards. Make sure the BIOS in the system the 3600 works in is up to date with a version that will support the Ryzen 5500, and try the 5500 in that system. Obviously, if it works, then the two boards you have are faulty. If it doesn't, then maybe all three are faulty. This is why buying used hardware is a fools game 90% of the time.
The 3600 works in another system, and the b450 is brand new actually as well as the 5500. It does work in the system as well, so it’s not the cpu.

And yes I also realize now that new hardware would just make my life 2x easier.

what should be my next step?