Question ROG Strix Z390-I not booting with both 8gb sticks installed

Mar 18, 2019
I recently built my friends PC (here is the pcpartpicker list), and I ran into an interesting problem I've yet to see. I was booting the pc up and wasn't getting video, but all the lights were on and the fans were spinning. After a few minutes and making sure everything was seated correctly I assumed it could be a bad ram stick. So I took out the stick from the second slot and we got into the UEFI (wasn't trying to set up windows yet). I then booted up with just the other stick installed and it got into the UEFI again.
My assumption was that the second DIMM was fried, so to appease my curiosity I installed one of the sticks into that slot, and wouldn't you know it, UEFI again!

Now I'm left with a lot of confusion. Neither ram stick is bad, the DIMMs are both fine, and both ram sticks are really popular models so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues. I ended up just installing Windows and getting him set up with just 8gb of ram in single channel. Once I left his place one solution that came to mind was maybe the UEFI needs updating to support two RAM sticks, so I'm going to have him try that and see if anything happens.

If any solutions or personal experiences come to mind I would love to know your thoughts on this. Hopefully I'm not missing something blatantly obvious, thanks in advance!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I assume the two rams are bought as a kit?

It is possible there are compatibility issues with ram but makes it hard to believe that if they both work individually.

Clearing cmos may help.

If both updating bios and clearing cmos doesn't work then im afraid there's a possibility of bent pins in the cpu socket or the heatsink is on too tight. Dual channel issues are commonly the result of either two scenarios.

Mar 18, 2019
I assume the two rams are bought as a kit?

It is possible there are compatibility issues with ram but makes it hard to believe that if they both work individually.

Clearing cmos may help.

If both updating bios and clearing cmos doesn't work then im afraid there's a possibility of bent pins in the cpu socket or the heatsink is on too tight. Dual channel issues are commonly the result of either two scenarios.

Yes the ram was bought in a kit, Trident Z RGB 3200mhz. I will update when we clear cmos and update the UEFI.

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Yes the ram was bought in a kit, Trident Z RGB 3200mhz. I will update when we clear cmos and update the UEFI.
Any news on this? I have the exact same problem, my PC will only boot in A1+A2 channels. (single channel)
When i put it into dual channel it wont work.

I have returned the motherboard and the ram, same issue with the new setup.