Aug 3, 2020
So recently I got the msi ventus xs oc edition 2060 for 300 euros, nice little bargine I fetched myself. Unfortunately my psu has 2, 6 pins as opposed to an 8 pin, which is what the 2060 has. I've looked at multiple forums and read a bunch of things, apparently 6 pins will only deliver 75Ws so 2, 6 pins which adapt into one 8 pin adapter is the way to go in guessing? My psu is quite a hefty one with a total of 780Ws and we upgraded it in short succession because the initial upgrade failed, so we made sure to get a good one. I can provide my specs if needed.

Solution
It's an HEC unit from a decade ago. I would avoid using it with an expensive GPU.

You can use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter and it will work. Still wouldn't recommend it due to the age of that PSU.
Aug 3, 2020
Specs would help, but if a 780 watt power supply does not come with an 8-pin PCIE power connector, I wouldn't trust it to run my computer, let alone power a new card that I just spent 300€ on.

-Wolf sends

Well it's not exactly a new psu but which specs do you want? I can take a picture of what it says on the power supply. Otherwise the model is the G7 power extreme 780W

Aug 3, 2020
It's an HEC unit from a decade ago. I would avoid using it with an expensive GPU.

You can use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter and it will work. Still wouldn't recommend it due to the age of that PSU.

That's fair enough, I don't mind buying a new powersupply. I still have a bit of budget left, any suggestions for what I should look out for and what price range? Also will this matter for any of my other components because my mother board is made for 4th Gen cpus if that matters at all, currently using an i7 4790k.

Aug 3, 2020
What would be your budget?

You really only need a 500w or so, but a modern decent quality one.

Ideally wouldn't want to spend over 80 or 75 quid, I just bought the graphics card and a decent 144 hz monitor for a bargine. The graphics card says it needs 500W so yeah I guess you could be right, idk that much about power supplies tbh.

TRENDING THREADS