[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Black Screens During Driver Installation! (HELP!)

Oct 1, 2019
Hi people!

I recently bought an RTX 2070 with the code 43 error which I thankfully fixed, but I have encountered another problem..

Whilst playing a game (Dishonored 2) the game froze and shown hints of artifacture. I tried resetting the game and this is where I started black screening. During boot up it would display as intended/I can also go into bios; anything, but in post boot all my peripherals/monitor would just turn off and give me a black screen. It really doesn't make sense.

To add to this, I did enter safe boot and everything worked normally so I thought it may of been the drivers so I uninstalled/deleted the drivers, but now it's just black screening whenever I install drivers to the system.

I use DDU to uninstall the drivers when retrying. I have to access the pc without internet after uninstalling the drivers because when it automatically installs them I will black screen. When I go to device manager it says "Basic Microsoft adapter", other than RTX 2070 like it was doing before. It will go through the process of detecting there's an RTX 2070 in the system, but will just blackscreen and I'll have to do the same process like insanity's.

Here's a list of everything I have done:

• Reinstalled drivers
  • Cleared cmos
  • using DDU
  • Factory resetting windows
  • used a separate 6pinn connector from the psu
  • restoring everything to default in bios

I tried flashing the bios, but it wouldn't detect that I could so I'm doing that as a last resort because I have nothing to lose at this point. My previous card works perfectly (GTX 1070)

My Specs are:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VIII
CPU: i5-6600k
Ram: 32GB DDR4
GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme RTX 2070
EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold 1000w PSU
500GB m.2 ssd
1TB HDD

If it helps, here's a visual of my problem:

View: https://youtu.be/tA4NdJDMhs0

All help is appreciated!

Solution
Sorry for late reply lmao. I appreciate the time helping me.

I got it for £250. The GPU itself runs and gets recognized. I'm coming to the conclusion that it is a dead card, but I just don't understand that the card works flawlessly without any drivers but when it installs them turns black.. I'm not giving up on this yet, but I'm close to it haha.

I'm going to put it in another pc whenever someone lets me haha!

Oh here's another thing I recently discovered regarding this whole problem. When I put my 1070 in and install that, the 2070 does boot into desktop then blackscreens. I'm not sure if that's no help, but it's something haha.

you can try to contact the person who sold you the GPU and get the original receipt and you...
Oct 1, 2019
Have you tried the 2070 in a friends computer to see if it works? It shouldn't be this hard to install a gpu. Sounds like the 2070 may be bad. Also what bios are you running on the motherboard?

I haven't tried on another friends computer, but would there be any other alternative to that?

How would I find the bios of the motherboard? I'm sure it's the latest version.

Oct 1, 2019
id test the gpu in another pc if its dead or not.
the other thing would be to test with a different powersupply.
you could also try a fresh install of windows.

I'd try and do it on another computer when i have the time.

I don't think the PSU is the problem as it runs my 1070 perfectly with no issues at all. I have also clean installed the pc before doing this (on both storage drivers).

Do you think there could be any other alternative? Like, is there any other way to force install a GPU driver.

UPDATE: When I installed my gtx 1070 drivers and put in the 2070 again, it shown a screen for about 10 seconds on desktop, then went off right away (assuming it's installing the right drivers), so it must be some sort of software issue.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
I'd try and do it on another computer when i have the time.

I don't think the PSU is the problem as it runs my 1070 perfectly with no issues at all. I have also clean installed the pc before doing this (on both storage drivers).

Do you think there could be any other alternative? Like, is there any other way to force install a GPU driver.

UPDATE: When I installed my gtx 1070 drivers and put in the 2070 again, it shown a screen for about 10 seconds on desktop, then went off right away (assuming it's installing the right drivers), so it must be some sort of software issue.

even without drivers it shouldnt turn off right away. without drivers a gpu would still run fine it just wont work as well or as intended but it wont shut a pc off.

2070 is basically a 1080 and its best to test it out wether its a faulty GPU (most likely) or a faulty power supply (least likely).

Oct 1, 2019
even without drivers it shouldnt turn off right away. without drivers a gpu would still run fine it just wont work as well or as intended but it wont shut a pc off.

2070 is basically a 1080 and its best to test it out wether its a faulty GPU (most likely) or a faulty power supply (least likely).

Sorry if I didn't explain well. The graphics card does work without the drivers, but when they install it blackscreens. It doesn't necessarily turn of the pc either, the screen is just blank.

I haven't tried on another friends computer, but would there be any other alternative to that?

How would I find the bios of the motherboard? I'm sure it's the latest version.
When you first start up the pc, press the f2 or delete button when you see the splash screen and that should take you to the bios pages. Look up in the left hand corner, usually, and see what bios it is running on. You mentioned a 43 code what was that all about?

Oct 1, 2019
When you first start up the pc, press the f2 or delete button when you see the splash screen and that should take you to the bios pages. Look up in the left hand corner, usually, and see what bios it is running on. You mentioned a 43 code what was that all about?

The bios version is 3802.

Regarding the error code 43, the person who sold me it had a weak power supply so it couldn't actually run the gpus drivers. Hence why it was an easy fix. Just thought I put that out incase if it would conflict with something

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
The bios version is 3802.

Regarding the error code 43, the person who sold me it had a weak power supply so it couldn't actually run the gpus drivers. Hence why it was an easy fix. Just thought I put that out incase if it would conflict with something

what do you mean by the person who sold you, you mean its a used gpu? or what.

Oct 1, 2019
so you bought a 2nd hand gpu? and what did he say on why he sold it, the GPU it self is probably damaged as it is if its doing wonky things. did you test it out before you bought it from the person?

It is a second hand GPU. I knew the card had the error and it was working other than that. Now it has a problem regarding installing drivers whilst showing a display. It installs the drivers but won't display the screen. It confuses me as much it does to you trust me 😂

I'm just trying to find pointers on how to get past this issue because it seems like an issue with the software than hardware.

Oct 1, 2019
It is a second hand GPU. I knew the card had the error and it was working other than that. Now it has a problem regarding installing drivers whilst showing a display. It installs the drivers but won't display the screen. It confuses me as much it does to you trust me 😂

I'm just trying to find pointers on how to get past this issue because it seems like an issue with the software than hardware.

Sorry mate.

To answer your question he only said that it had the Error Code 43 error and that's it. Sorry!

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Sorry mate.

To answer your question he only said that it had the Error Code 43 error and that's it. Sorry!

well you dont have to say sorry to me since im not the one who potentially has a dead GPU sadly, how much did you buy it for? and again better test it on another system.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...because-it-has-reported-problems(code-43)-for

but looking up error code 43 does mention a defective card. so yea it may be defective or if you are lucky a windows related problem. but now i do think its a dead GPU.

Oct 1, 2019
well you dont have to say sorry to me since im not the one who potentially has a dead GPU sadly, how much did you buy it for? and again better test it on another system.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3075/~/windows-has-stopped-this-device-because-it-has-reported-problems(code-43)-for

but looking up error code 43 does mention a defective card. so yea it may be defective or if you are lucky a windows related problem. but now i do think its a dead GPU.

I got it for £250. The GPU itself runs and gets recognized. I'm coming to the conclusion that it is a dead card, but I just don't understand that the card works flawlessly without any drivers but when it installs them turns black.. I'm not giving up on this yet, but I'm close to it haha.

Oh here's another thing I recently discovered regarding this whole problem. When I put my 1070 in and install that, the 2070 does boot into desktop then blackscreens. I'm not sure if that's no help, but it's something haha.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

you can try to contact the person who sold you the GPU and get the original receipt and you can try to RMA the card, im not sure how easy it is to get a response from zotac but you may try, but you would need the original receipt from whom ever you bought the card from. hopefully they didnt do anything weird with the card that would void the warranty. if not then you just lost £250 sadly.

Reactions: Griffg6
Solution
Oct 1, 2019
you can try to contact the person who sold you the GPU and get the original receipt and you can try to RMA the card, im not sure how easy it is to get a response from zotac but you may try, but you would need the original receipt from whom ever you bought the card from. hopefully they didnt do anything weird with the card that would void the warranty. if not then you just lost £250 sadly.

I think I'll do that as a last resort sort of thing.

Update regarding the whole situation:

I decided to do a couple of checks to see if the GPU is dead and I came out with some new info.

I booted into safe mode successfully and installed all drivers onto the pc (when I go out from safe mode it black screens unfortunately)

I tried to flash the card as i thought it may of been bricked and when I try and flash the card using the same bios from DOS (usb), it says that there isn't any Nvidia display drivers found eventhough the 2070 is plugged in.

I feel like this issue could easily be fixed if I knew exactly what was wrong.