RIG SPECS
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
Intel i9 9900K @ 3600 Mhz
32GB RAM, Corsair Vengance 3600Mhz
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 F
CORSAIR H115i Platinum Cooling
Corsair HX1000i Power supply.
500GB SSD, 1T M.2, 2T hardive.

Built it 3 weeks ago. Problem started 2 days ago.

PROBLEM
Each game I play crashes, the screen will freeze and then the Game will exit to the launcher. The timing seems random.
Launchers: Rockstar, Steam, Uplay.

WITCHER 3
I had about 10 hours into the Witcher 3 over the course of a couple of weeks, and multiple hours in other titles across other titles. 2 days ago, the Witcher sudddenly froze, the audio continued and the game closed itself down.
This began happening every 5 minutes or so. I tried multiple things, like changing power load in Nvidia control panel to max, windowed mode, lower res, uninstalling G force experience, reverting back to an older GPU driver, restoring game files on steam, reinstalling the game and changing it from the SSD to the M.2.
The game didnt dip in frames, staying at 100+ on max settings (1080p res), then would crash without warning. The game started doing it right on load up as well.

Rocket Legue + Ghost Recon
Ghost recon had the same issue, no fortelling drop in frames, just a sudden freeze, then back to the launcher. This was after 20 minutes.
RL was a slight exception. on all 3 instances, the screen would flicker all shapes of yellow for a second, before it would freeze. However the game always returned me to in game menu.

FurMark Test
First attempt:
Ran at 1080p for 22 minutes, 4K UHD benchmark, Anti A: Off. until the program suddenly stopped. The temperature climbed from 30 to 58 where it stabalised for the duration. The frames didnt go below 130.
Second attempt: 28 minutes, same results, program suddenly stopped.
Third attempt: 8XMSAA, 4K res, minimum frames was 58, temp stabilised at 58. We terminated the test at 35 minutes.
Between all of these, the GPU utilisation went between 98 - 101%

Heaven & Superposition

Heaven stopped for a full 3 seconds in scene 6 with max settings, putting the minimum frames to 8. The average running speed was 70 frames. Score of 3400+
Superposition - 4K optimised, all enabled, high textures. Minimum frames 56, max 84. Score 9130 with max of 99% GPU utilisation.

System restore, all drivers wiped

I figured as it was early days and i had cloud backups, i would clean the slate. Re installed windows 10 x64, re downloaded launchers and games including GPU Z and the KiteDemo.
Every time from here on out where i have played or ran a benchmark test, i have had GPU Z running in the background logging it all. I have compiled the data to the corresponding times.

Overall, Rocket League has not yet crashed in the 10 - 20 minute sessions, literally worried to play it longer in the anticipation. I will update.
The Witcher 3 continues to crash. I cant connect anything concrete from GPU Z to the crashes. There were single instances where the wattage and load on the GPU would change, but they were around 20 seconds before the first crash and minutes before the second.
I Ran superposition 3 times in a row. 2nd one crashed half way through.
I played the KiteDemo for 20 minutes. Flying through mostly forest areas, moving the mouse constantly. No crash or drop in frames. GPU Z shows fluctuations in wattage and load.

Additionals
The order of the RAM (4 sticks) do not correspond to the order on ICue. One of the RGB RAMs would flicker on a particular preset very rarely. Not on any other preset, neither since reformatting. Just as a wild idea, we created a preset without any RGB in the RIG, still the witcher 3 crashes.

Personal Thanks
I apologise how long this is. I have been an avid gamer my whole life who wanted to have a decent RIG when making the transition to PC in expectation of Cyberpunk. I did not expect to encounter something like this so early and most dense PC talk goes above my ahead. I welcome any suggestions.
The hope is that this is some sort of collection of software issues and not hardware.. because.. all that cable management :'(

UPDATE 1
Tried loading ghost recon, on loading the ingame world, the game closed and i got a notification saying the game had exceeded the maximum memory of the gpu. The ingame counter said i was utilising 5/8GB.

Thank you.
J

Last edited:
Solution
Use one stick of ram at a time and run your games. See if it only crashes for a certain stick, or crashes for all of them separately. Then change it out for the next one. See if you have a bad, or going bad stick of ram. That way you can rule out your ram and move on to another troubleshooting area.
Oct 11, 2019
Use one stick of ram at a time and run your games. See if it only crashes for a certain stick, or crashes for all of them separately. Then change it out for the next one. See if you have a bad, or going bad stick of ram. That way you can rule out your ram and move on to another troubleshooting area.

Good idea. 8GB should be enough at once to test this..
Is there anything i can do in XMP to help determine this?

Also, some one said about under clocking the GPU, but i dont know what i would be looking for.

Thank you for the response.