Question RTX 4090 Power Supply Question

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my GPU for the 4090.

My current build is the following:
-CPU: AMD 5950x
-Mobo: MEG X570 Godlike MSI
-GPU: Asus Rog 3090 OC
-Power Supply: AX1500i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1500 Watt Fully-Modular PSU (link: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020057-NA)

My concern is if my current PSU will be compatible with the new GPU as its quite old.

Any help will be appreciated!!

thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
I'd advise on looking into a more concurrent generation of PSU's from Corsair's portfolio. How old is the PSU in your build, btw? An argument could be made that the RTX4090s will come with their own harnesses to adapt a PSU's PCIe connectors to a 12VHPWR adapter.

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
I'd advise on looking into a more concurrent generation of PSU's from Corsair's portfolio. How old is the PSU in your build, btw? An argument could be made that the RTX4090s will come with their own harnesses to adapt a PSU's PCIe connectors to a 12VHPWR adapter.

thanks for your reply. My PSU it’s approximately 8 years old.

Changing my PSU means changing my PSU cables correct? So rebuilding my PC again :(

Mr. Smith

BANNED
Dec 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my GPU for the 4090.

My current build is the following:
-CPU: AMD 5950x
-Mobo: MEG X570 Godlike MSI
-GPU: Asus Rog 3090 OC
-Power Supply: AX1500i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1500 Watt Fully-Modular PSU (link: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020057-NA)

My concern is if my current PSU will be compatible with the new GPU as its quite old.

Any help will be appreciated!!

thanks!
It is sufficient for 4090 as RTX 4090 Graphics Cards Recommend a 1200W Power Supply.

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
My PSU it’s approximately 8 years old.
An 8 year old PSU will not output the same amount of power it did when brand new. I'd ask what the PSU powered in it's 8 year life in the build(?).

The usage of the computer was not that much though but thorough the years i have made several upgrades:

CPUs: X99 intel and Ryzen
GPUs:
-SLI setup x2 Titan
-SLI setup x2 TitanX
-SLI setup x2 2080

I'd seriously recommand buying a new ATX 3.0 PSU with the cables that communicate with the GPU. Without that communication a 4090 will pull max power over the rail without understanding the limits that rail might have, causing some PSU's to fail. This isn't so much about max wattage on a PSU but how that power is distributed amongst the rails.

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Any good recommendations ?

The Corsair 1600W?

I'd seriously recommand buying a new ATX 3.0 PSU with the cables that communicate with the GPU. Without that communication a 4090 will pull max power over the rail without understanding the limits that rail might have, causing some PSU's to fail. This isn't so much about max wattage on a PSU but how that power is distributed amongst the rails.
?