cediegamotin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
I'm about to buy this model but my friend said that it will not last long for it's durability is not that good or it may fail immediately, I just want to know what you think of this. Is is true or what?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing wrong with RX 470s. Why does your friend say it won't last long?

I guess if you're buying it used it's probably going to be a couple years old, and may have been used for cryptocurrency mining. But as long as you're able to verify that it's 100% functional before you buy it (or buy it somewhere that has a good return policy or buyer protection), I wouldn't have a problem buying a used 470 as long as the price is right. But that applies to pretty much any used graphics card purchase.

cediegamotin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
There's nothing wrong with RX 470s. Why does your friend say it won't last long?

I guess if you're buying it used it's probably going to be a couple years old, and may have been used for cryptocurrency mining. But as long as you're able to verify that it's 100% functional before you buy it (or buy it somewhere that has a good return policy or buyer protection), I wouldn't have a problem buying a used 470 as long as the price is right. But that applies to pretty much any used graphics card purchase.
yeah, he said that the RX series are not durable like the GTX series. The RX 470 is used for regular browsing and games but not in mining so I guess it's a good deal

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ask your friend to explain what evidence they have that RX cards are less durable that GTX.

I've never seen any evidence to suggest AMD cards fail sooner. Sure, there are probably some specific models of RX 470 that are a little more prone to failure, and maybe even and entire brand or two that's more prone to failure, but you can say the exact same thing about Nvidia cards.

Basically, I don't think your friend knows what they're talking about.

Beware of "friends" who think they know compared to people who do know.

No evidence that one brand is unreliable as another.
If the 470 card is CHEAP and you don't expect miracles from it, sure go ahead and buy it.
You haven't mentioned how much it will cost or what you expect to get from it, as in gaming/resolution.
If you can mention this, and what system you have now, people who do know, can help you

Reactions: TJ Hooker

cediegamotin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
So I only play CSGO and some games like Skyrim nad GTA V not that heavy for me, by the way I'm using I3-3220 and will upgrade to i5-3470, my plan is to buy GTX 1050 or the RX 470