[SOLVED] Rx 5700 XT blackscreens. Driver problem or is my gpu broken?

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018
I recently bought my rx5700 xt and at the first day of using it i inmediatly got black screens. Both my screens would go black for a few seconds, then the game crashes and the screen comes back. Now it has become worse. The monitor goes black and loses connection and both screens go off, The pc i still on and i can still hear the game for like 10 seconds after the blackscreen. This forces me to reboot the pc wich is annoying. I did some research and found out that it might be because of the unstable drivers from amd. Does this apply to my case or is my gpu just broken? If it is the drivers should i wait till amd has stable drivers and is there a temporary fix for it? Or should i return my card and buy a stable card like the 2060 Super or 2070? Any help is apreciated!

My specs:
Mobo: Asus PRIME B450M-A
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Ram: G skill ripjaw V - 16gb 3200Mhz
PSU: Corsair TX650M
GPU:MSI radeon Rx 5700 XT 8gb Mech OC edition
HDD: 1tb
SSD: 1tb m2.0

Last edited:
Solution
How long have you had that TX650m in service?

Have you tried a CLEAN install using the DDU? If not, I would start there along with making sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post...

Have you tried a CLEAN install using the DDU? If not, I would start there along with making sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Also, if this is a "no signal detected" or other lack of visual display problem, it is probably a good idea to make sure the problem is not just a bad cable or the wrong cable IF this is a display issue. If it is NOT related to a lack of display signal, then obviously this part is not relevant to your issue.

This happens a lot. Try a different cable or a different TYPE of cable. Sometimes there can be issues with the monitor or card not supporting a specific specification such as HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0, or even an HDMI output stops working but the Displayport or DVI output still works fine on the graphics card. Always worth checking the cable and trying other cables because cables get run over, bent, bent pins or simply were cheap quality to begin with and something as simple as trying a different cable or different monitor might be all that is required to solve your issue.

Solution

johnsoner13

Respectable
I recommend following Darkbreeze’s troubleshooting steps and then maybe RMA the card if it still doesn’t work if you can isolate the issue to being the GPU instead of switching to an RTX 2060 Super/RTX 2070 because the 5700 XT will outperform both those cards by a decent amount and might be worth your time if you’re patient and can spare any.
Make sure that when you’re using DDU, you use it in safe mode and enable the option to disable automatic windows driver updates. Also, what I found to help was setting the card to use PCIE 3.0 instead of leaving it on auto in the BIOS, and when installing adrenalin drivers and it asks you to select a profile, select “standard” as the “gaming” profile enables some options that in my experience affect stability and cause issues

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Also, if this is a "no signal detected" or other lack of visual display problem, it is probably a good idea to make sure the problem is not just a bad cable or the wrong cable IF this is a display issue. If it is NOT related to a lack of display signal, then obviously this part is not relevant to your issue.

This happens a lot. Try a different cable or a different TYPE of cable. Sometimes there can be issues with the monitor or card not supporting a specific specification such as HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0, or even an HDMI output stops working but the Displayport or DVI output still works fine on the graphics card. Always worth checking the cable and trying other cables because cables get run over, bent, bent pins or simply were cheap quality to begin with and something as simple as trying a different cable or different monitor might be all that is required to solve your issue.
Thanks for the reply! After i posted this i did some more research and found out you should do a clean driver install using DDU by removing all the previous drivers. I had a 1050ti before this so i still had all the nvidea drivers installed. I removed all my GPU drivers from my pc using DDU and downloaded the latest radeon drivers. I haven't got a blackscreen yet and will test some more before using your guide. I bought the PSU together with the GPU 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the reply and the guide! I will inform you tommorow on the issue after i have done some more testing!

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018
I recommend following Darkbreeze’s troubleshooting steps and then maybe RMA the card if it still doesn’t work if you can isolate the issue to being the GPU instead of switching to an RTX 2060 Super/RTX 2070 because the 5700 XT will outperform both those cards by a decent amount and might be worth your time if you’re patient and can spare any.
Make sure that when you’re using DDU, you use it in safe mode and enable the option to disable automatic windows driver updates. Also, what I found to help was setting the card to use PCIE 3.0 instead of leaving it on auto in the BIOS, and when installing adrenalin drivers and it asks you to select a profile, select “standard” as the “gaming” profile enables some options that in my experience affect stability and cause issues
I used DDU in safe mode, i didn't disable automatic windows driver update because it said you could also use it without internet so windows won't download the drivers. I used a gaming profile so i will be switching over to standard. Thanks for the tips and help!

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018
NP. Let us know if the problem stays gone. Hopefully, that was all it was.
So after playing some more games i still had some blackscreens but the monitor doesn't lose connection anymore and the screen comes back within 3 seconds after the game crashes. The blackscreen is usually within 10min of starting up the game if there is no blackscreen within 10min the game just keeps running fine without any blackscreens.Idid not have these blackscreens before my new card. so should i start with updating my bios and keep following your guide or do you recommend me something else? Also i noticed that my junction temperature is around 110c while gaming, i'm not sure if thats to hot but i felt like i should mention it.

Yes, that is too hot. You must have a cooling or a mounting problem.

Double check that your CPU cooler is fully seated and that all corners/sides are down. Assuming you used the stock cooler, did you remove any protective plastic covering the thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink if there was any?

What case do you have and how many case fans? What direction is EVERY case fan, in EVERY location, blowing, in or out. Intake or exhaust in other words?

What are you using to monitor thermals? Ryzen master?

Update your BIOS and install the latest AMD chipset drivers, found here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

After installing the latest chipset drivers, be sure to go into the control panel power settings and select the balanced power plan.

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018
I didn't have any heat problems with the cpu before i bought a new card. I did remove the protective plastic that covered the thermal paste. I have a sharkoon vg4 case. I got on fan in the top back and one in the front bottom. I think they are both blowing out since i feel air on both sides. Not sure if that means they are blowing air out.I don't think i have anything to monitor thermals. I'm not sure why you are talking about cpu heat problems since i said that my gpu junction speed is around 110c while the current tempreture is 70/80c. Or does the cpu causes a high heat on the junction? Anyways, Do you have a link for a decent guide on how to update your bios. Thanks in advance! And if it's a heat problem it should only blackscreen in the first 10min right?

Last edited:
Ok, GPU juntion. Normally when somebody talks about junction temps, they are talking about the CPU Tjunction temperature.

So forget about the CPU, for now anyhow. Although, if you have thermal issues with the graphics card you could very well have them with the CPU as well.

So, if you have nothing to monitor thermals, how do you know the GPU temperature is at 110°c?

Radeon RX 5700 XT, on the other hand, gets quite a bit warmer. AMD says Navi has a maximum junction temperature of 110°C, so we must imagine that throttling would happen many degrees below that point.

It's still too hot, even though it's the GPU rather than the CPU we are talking about.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-6.html

Update your BIOS. Update your chipset and motherboard drivers. Update your graphics driver using the DDU to do a clean install, if you haven't already, and then see what happens.

Also, you need to TRIPLE check your case fan orientation. If you front lower fan is blowing OUT, then it is wrong. It needs to be blowing IN and then your top rear fan needs to be blowing out. If these fans were pre-installed then they are most likely already installed with the correct orientation. If YOU installed them, then you need to double check, and really, I'd double check anyhow because manufacturers, especially lower tiered ones like Sharkoon, might make mistakes.

Also, you should check your case fan profile settings in the BIOS and make sure that they are properly configured. I'd set the fan curve manually or set it to normal or performance. Silent settings with only one intake and one exhaust may not be sufficient for your graphics card.

You can verify whether the problem is due to a lack of case cooling by removing the side panel and then seeing if you see the same temps or not. That alone might tell you where all the problems are. Take the side panel off, run it, see if it does better. If it does, then you need better case cooling configuration, better fans or better case. Maybe even better case AND fans. Or possibly just better case fan settings.

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018
Ok, GPU juntion. Normally when somebody talks about junction temps, they are talking about the CPU Tjunction temperature.

So forget about the CPU, for now anyhow. Although, if you have thermal issues with the graphics card you could very well have them with the CPU as well.

So, if you have nothing to monitor thermals, how do you know the GPU temperature is at 110°c?

It's still too hot, even though it's the GPU rather than the CPU we are talking about.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-6.html

Update your BIOS. Update your chipset and motherboard drivers. Update your graphics driver using the DDU to do a clean install, if you haven't already, and then see what happens.

Also, you need to TRIPLE check your case fan orientation. If you front lower fan is blowing OUT, then it is wrong. It needs to be blowing IN and then your top rear fan needs to be blowing out. If these fans were pre-installed then they are most likely already installed with the correct orientation. If YOU installed them, then you need to double check, and really, I'd double check anyhow because manufacturers, especially lower tiered ones like Sharkoon, might make mistakes.

Also, you should check your case fan profile settings in the BIOS and make sure that they are properly configured. I'd set the fan curve manually or set it to normal or performance. Silent settings with only one intake and one exhaust may not be sufficient for your graphics card.

You can verify whether the problem is due to a lack of case cooling by removing the side panel and then seeing if you see the same temps or not. That alone might tell you where all the problems are. Take the side panel off, run it, see if it does better. If it does, then you need better case cooling configuration, better fans or better case. Maybe even better case AND fans. Or possibly just better case fan settings.
I'm using the radeon software to see what the temps are. Since i never updated my bios, can you link me a good guide on how to do it? The fans are pre installed and the front lower feels cold and the top back is blowing out hot air. Il double check the fans later and do the cooling test after that since everyone is sleeping here atm. Thanks for tips ill test it out tommorow

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018
Last edited:
750w is for 5700 XT crossfire according to RealHardTechX.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

But regardless, with the specifications for that graphics card CLEARLY stating a 225w max power consumption for the graphics card and having a 65w CPU design, there is NO way the rest of the system is using the remaining 360w. No chance. And that TX is a unit that can actually provide it's rated 650w when fully warm, unlike the probably POS units that the 750w recommendation from MSI is calling for.

It's always possible the PSU is the problem, but if it is, it's not due to a lack of capacity.

Even if we assume the worst, and say 75w slot power, plus 75w six pin and a 150w 8 pin power consumption, and 65w for the CPU, we've still got 285w headroom for the rest of the system and there is no way that the motherboard, memory, a HDD and an SSD, plus a couple of case fans and a CPU cooler, would come ANYWHERE near using another 100w, much less nearly 300w. Nonsense.

If there is a PSU related problem it's due to a BAD power supply, not an underpowered one.

Surely having a 750w unit of the same quality won't hurt anything but I have no belief that a lack of capacity is the issue.

How to update BIOS on ASUS motherboard using EZ flash.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1572-how-to-flash-bios-on-asus-board

w.vanzylwvz9

Honorable
Feb 26, 2018
750w is for 5700 XT crossfire according to RealHardTechX.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

But regardless, with the specifications for that graphics card CLEARLY stating a 225w max power consumption for the graphics card and having a 65w CPU design, there is NO way the rest of the system is using the remaining 360w. No chance. And that TX is a unit that can actually provide it's rated 650w when fully warm, unlike the probably POS units that the 750w recommendation from MSI is calling for.

It's always possible the PSU is the problem, but if it is, it's not due to a lack of capacity.

Even if we assume the worst, and say 75w slot power, plus 75w six pin and a 150w 8 pin power consumption, and 65w for the CPU, we've still got 285w headroom for the rest of the system and there is no way that the motherboard, memory, a HDD and an SSD, plus a couple of case fans and a CPU cooler, would come ANYWHERE near using another 100w, much less nearly 300w. Nonsense.

If there is a PSU related problem it's due to a BAD power supply, not an underpowered one.

Surely having a 750w unit of the same quality won't hurt anything but I have no belief that a lack of capacity is the issue.

How to update BIOS on ASUS motherboard using EZ flash.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1572-how-to-flash-bios-on-asus-board
I updated all my motherboard drivers and bios. Until now i have only gotten one blackscreen but it didn't crash my game so i can live with that. I also tested the airflow, the tempreture with the side panel on whas 70/80c and the gpu junction tempreture was 100/110. Without side panel the temps where between 60/70 and the junction between 90-100. If i don't encounter those blackscreens wich crashes my game or pc ill count this as a solve. Thanks for the help. Ill do a update on the blackscreens tommorow.!

Jan 30, 2020

First,

Second,

Third,

I had the quite same problem. That is blank screen, how can i do that? What should i do?

soerenboeg

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Darkbreeze wrote:
Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings.

How do you do that exactly?

soerenboeg

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
By going into the BIOS and enabling XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P depending on the brand and platform of your motherboard.
Thank you. I´ve done that now because I realised that I was running with 1066 MHz while my sticks are advertised to be 2666 MHz. However after setting the profile in the bios to the one called something with 2666, CPU-Z says my sticks are running with 1333. I am guessing it´s because it has a multiplier of 2, is that correct?

Msi z-170a sli plus and 2x 8gb Corsair vengeance LPX DDR-4 2666MHz modules.

Yes, most consumer memory is "double data rate", hence the "DDR" in "DDR3", "DDR4", etc. so if CPU-Z or HWinfo reports the memory as 1333mhz DDR4 then it is or should be 2666mhz.

If you have further questions, please start your own thread and PM me with the link and I'll be more than happy to help you figure out the configuration questions you have. Thanks.